Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Schuemann Aet Barrel

italianshooter

Clean it with bullets...

Are you guys seriously not touching your bores? I've had an SVI pistol with a .40 cal AET barrel that I've been petrified to run a patch thru because of what Wil said. So far I've got about 7k of Zero and Montana Gold JHPs thru and I'm starting to wonder if I should clean it or not.

What about using a nylon brush with bore cleaner? What could that possibly hurt???

-Cuz.

I shoot thousands of rounds without doing anything other than wiping off the sludge, and adding more grease.

Clean the inside of the barrel if you want. It will not instantly wreck it. Just know you aren't really doing any good. It's long been known that excess cleaning is damaging.

I have never cleaned any of my AET barrels. Two are in Open guns and two in Limited guns. If you look down the bore they are nice and bright .

All of them are very accurate. I figure Wil builds them and he should know how to maintain them.

I do shoot fully jacketed or hollow point bullets only in them.

Edited by Jaxshooter

If your barrel is ceramic coated it could remove or damage the ceramic and that would not be a good thing.

So a soft bronze brush and cotton patches will damage the coating but firing nice hard copper jacketed bullets won't ? I have 2 AETs and have been cleaning them using brushes and patches for years and they both shoot as well as the day I got them. I think you are worrying about the wrong things here :lol:

So a soft bronze brush and cotton patches will damage the coating but firing nice hard copper jacketed bullets won't ? I have 2 AETs and have been cleaning them using brushes and patches for years and they both shoot as well as the day I got them. I think you are worrying about the wrong things here :lol:

I was referring to his remark about using "bore cleaner" and what that could hurt. I don't think that a soft brush or patch will hurt anything, or help anything either. Using an unknown solvent or acid on the bore could have undesireable effects on the coating. The coating is designed to resist the effects of the copper jacketed bullets but there is no guarantee that your favorite brand of bore solvent or copper solvent will not soften, etch, or remove it.

Knowing how Wil feels about barrel cleaning and solvents in his barrels, I doubt you would get much sympathy from him if you attempted to clean the barrel, using a solvent, and damaged it.

My personal view is this:

Clean your gun as needed. Get eh sludge out of the action, lubricate it as needed. Lots of lube tends to flush away much of the crap that builds up.

Cleaning after every use is from two bits of history, as far as I can determine. First it comes from a day when ammo was highly corrosive. you didn't clean, you lost your barrel to corrosion.

Second is the need of the military to teach a solider how to maintain a weapon in darkness, by feel only. The way to learn that is rote. Take it apart, put the pieces in place, wipe them off and put them back together again. Do it over and over and over and over until you can do it blind. We are not in a race to dissasemble or reassemble our guns, no one is going to shoot at us and on one is going to give us 100 push-ups if we don't get it right and in 60 seconds.

Heck many of our guns can't be dissasembled without special tools.

So, I would say a general cleaniong is not out of the question, over zealous bore cleaning is not a good thing. A wiping of the bore with an oiliy patch can't hurt, BUT, be very careful of the barrel crown. Damage to the crown will have a serioius detrimental effect on accuracy. I have read elsewhere that more .22 cal rifles are ruined from cleaning than are ever shot out. This is I belive due to damage to the crown.

My opinions

Jim

I have posted because after shooting, as i do with any other steel barrel, i have cleaned AET with soft bronze brush and cotton with Shoother Choice Cleaner a lot of "yellow powder" is appeared out of the barrel.

So i have posted my question and so

I think that is better no cleaning at all.

You stated that your AET barrel was in an SV gun. Assuming that it is an SV Infinity factory pistol (not assembled from parts by another gunsmith) it would have a gold ceramic coated barrel. I would not recommending using solvents on that barrel without asking SV first.

Good luck,

Leo

not cleaning is EXCLUSIVELY for shcuemann barrels only? what about other barrel such as barsto and sti barrels

I clean all of my barrels including the 2 schuemanns and have not ruined one yet. As mentioned already, just be careful not to damage the crown on the muzzle. I dont like the prospect of trapping moisture, dirt, and byproducts of smokeless powder under jacket fouling and leaving it indefinitely. Make your own educated judgment......