Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats Wrong With My Gun?

Al Capizzo

I've got a Caspian open gun, clark barrel, screw on cone comp (Brazos) that I bought used about a year ago. I've really liked this gun, but the last month or so its accuracy has been very erratic. I'm also seeing some keyhole type holes in paper.

To keep this brief, I could shoot the 50 yd stds for Area 4 at the start of my practice session. 400 rounds later, I could not put a round on the target, anywhere, shooting from a rest.

I checked all the scope mount screws and I sighted in again, for a bench. 2-A's almost touching, 3 rounds WAY down in the right D-zone, and a couple rounds not even on the target. I changed the scope out and shot a few more groups and it seemed like I was o.k.

Shooting a 32 round stage at A4, the first 26 rounds went o.k., including 2 small poppers, but the last port was two 8" plates (maybe 12-15 yds) which then activated two paper. I shot 12 at one plate and could not hit it.

The rest of the match I could have some targets with nice tight A- hits and then some with holes 18" apart. And a lot of tumbling bullets.

Some of you may remember my grumbling after Open nats, I was really bewildered. Some stages were ok, but on another the hits weren't anywhere near where I'd called them.

Whats going on here?

I agree and think its either "comp droopies" They crack and droop or the scope is broken. Strip it down completely and get a bright light. Hold it at angles to check for cracks. If you can borrow a friends scope to test before that would work too.

Al, they've already given you everything - look closely at the comp baffles... check for cracks, etc, etc...

Also - is there any buildup within the comp? Even shooting JHPs, you'll get some buildup. If the buildup accumulates enough, it can actually rub the bullet, too...

If your gun is able to pass all the tests listed above, you might try some .356 ot .357 projectiles and see how that affects the results. If you are having a situation with marginal projectile/barrel fit, switching to the larger projectile will often resolve the problem for a while.

I get the impression from the description it worked fine for a long time and it just now having problems. Unless you changed ammo the ammo shouldnt be an issue. I still think broken/cracked part. Get out the maglight. Look inside the barrel you can see an eroded one. Front of the chamber area is most important. Cracked barrel lugs could cause this but they should eventually break by now.

Did you change anything except the scope?

PS Check your press. I have had a die loosen and cost me a match loading poor ammo with no taper crimp

As a matter of fact the comp is loose, though it doesn't move a lot. It will eventually move maybe 1/8 or less of a turn. I don't see signs of bullets hitting the comp, but it could be I don't know what I'm looking for. This is the first open gun I've owned. Never the less, I've taken comp off the barrel and I'll re set it this week.

Luckily there was just a thread on this subject :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact the comp is loose, though it doesn't move a lot. It will eventually move maybe 1/8 or less of a turn. I don't see signs of bullets hitting the comp, but it could be I don't know what I'm looking for. This is the first open gun I've owned. Never the less, I've taken comp off the barrel and I'll re set it this week.

Luckily there was just a thread on this subject :rolleyes:

Doesn't take much depending on how concentric the comp/barrel, etc. is. Look for streaks of jacket material at each baffle. Let us know if this fixes it.

As long as you are going to have the comp off...go shoot it. Shooting it without the comp off would be the perfect means of troubleshooting.

Cone comp, cant shoot the gun without it.-------Larry

Don't be too hard on Flex, he did not finance his gun and probably did not know that... :lol:

As long as you are going to have the comp off...go shoot it. Shooting it without the comp off would be the perfect means of troubleshooting.

Don't be too hard on Flex, he did not finance his gun and probably did not know that... :lol:

Yea and his first reply was something about Tenifer and trigger safeties

Yea and his first reply was something about Tenifer and trigger safeties

Is that like 6 bucks each or tenifer 2. Not hard on Flex, just easy on Al.---------Larry

I am glad to see that speedy has evaded Merlins cat, so far.-------Larry

(inside joke)

your slide stop pin is bad, you need to shoot sierra bullets with blue dot powder..that will fix it. ;)

i bet the bullets are infact hitting the comp..probably towards the end of the comp.

Harmon

i bet the bullets are in fact hitting the comp..probably towards the end of the comp.

I don't believe it's necessary for the bullets to hit it for it to have a significant effect on accuracy. All it has to do is be out of line enough to disrupt the gas flow at the muzzle.

Lee