Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xl650: No More Primers On My Floor!

If you are using a Dillon XL650 I have put together a very simple, 100% effective, solution for spent primers all over the floor. Many thanks to other BE contributors that have also worked on and posted their solutions to this problem. Directions here for anyone interested:

1. Cut the base off a 45 acp brass (I used a dremel with cutting tool). Now cut serrations around the other end and bend them back to look like Figure 1.

2. Take a piece of 5/8" OD x 1/2" ID vinyl tubing (of desired length) and slit one end about 1/2" with a utility knife.

3. Using a hose clamp, clamp the brass to the end of the hose as shown in Figure 2. Note: Do not shove vinyl tubing all the way up the brass to the serrations, leave just a little space.

4. Loosen the screws that hold the primer cup bracket in place, or take them all the way off if easier for you.

5. Slide the brass into the primer cup bracket with serrations on top of bracket and up against underside of the platform, should be a perfect fit. Brass should be positioned near the opening of the cutout, not pushed all the way back into it. Reinstall/tighten screws . Brass/hose will be held in place by serrations being squeezed between the primer cup bracket and the bottom of the platform. See Figure 3.

6. Drill a 1" diameter hole in your reloading bench just inside the right hand bracket of the strong mount (as you stand in front of it). I drilled from underneath as reloader was already secured in place. Push hose down through this hole (see Figure 4)and into some sort of collection jug (I am using an empty antifreeze bottle). Cut to length but remember that hose will rise 6" +/- when handle is operated, so don't cut it too short.

When your case is deprimed the old primer drops directly into the vinyl tubing and travels down to collection jug, no more primers on the floor.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...

nhglyn,

Your mod seemed the easiest for my shallow mind. I did it in about 10 minutes.

I do not own a Dremel tool...wouldn't know how to use one if I had one!.

I used a pair of meat/game scissors to cut the edges of the .45 ACP case.

It worked like a dream and then I just bent the edges over with a pair of

needle nose pliers.

I liked your mod because I did not seem to have much luck getting the

.223 case to stay put and did not want to try caulking/gluing/siliconing it into place...

I also liked your mod as it is very rigid and secure. I also liked the "drilling into the bench" part of your mod...you thought this thru!

Just wanted to say thanks!

Oh, for the "ski-jump" problem with live primers...I just cut the end of finger/thumb out of a latex/rubber glove and slid

it over the "jump". I used about an 1 1/2" to do the job. It was pretty easy, not rocket science like many other mods posted here!

Bob

Bob,

I appreciate your kind words but also want to give credit to others who had similar ideas before me. I just took their ideas and made a few changes.

I got a 1050 a few months back and have adapted the primer tube solution to that press also. Great not to have primers rolling on the floor anymore.

Good luck with your reloading, and be safe!

nhglyn

It's a great mod.

I used a cut-down .308 case because the nalgene container I use to catch the primers can get pretty heavy during a 1K+ session if I don't pay attention. The .308 case is quite a bit stronger and I use some pretty stout tubing as well.

I use .223 cases with the same tubing to direct tumbling media from the case feeder to a waiting small akro-bin.

Bob,

I appreciate your kind words but also want to give credit to others who had similar ideas before me. I just took their ideas and made a few changes.

I got a 1050 a few months back and have adapted the primer tube solution to that press also. Great not to have primers rolling on the floor anymore.

Good luck with your reloading, and be safe!

nhglyn

Can you go through the process of the 1050 adaptation??

• 2 months later...

NEed some help. Either I am missing something big or the newer 650's have a different bracket and cup. Mine is blue plastic and not shaped like the black metal part. Anyone else run into this and find a fix?

NEed some help. Either I am missing something big or the newer 650's have a different bracket and cup. Mine is blue plastic and not shaped like the black metal part. Anyone else run into this and find a fix?

45junkie,

The cup that catches the spent primers should be blue plastic. The metal bracket that holds the spent primer cup should be black and it should be screwed to the underside of the platform as shown in figure #3 of my original post. What holds your blue cup in place? Unless Dillon has made some major changes in design that I haven't seen yet it should be the black metal bracket with 2 screws.

45junkie,

The cup that catches the spent primers should be blue plastic. The metal bracket that holds the spent primer cup should be black and it should be screwed to the underside of the platform as shown in figure #3 of my original post. What holds your blue cup in place? Unless Dillon has made some major changes in design that I haven't seen yet it should be the black metal bracket with 2 screws.

It is a blue plastic bracket that looks nothing like yours. I believe they have changed the cup also. I will try and post some pics for you. Maybe Gary can chime in here and add some clairity.

Edited by 45junkie

Well I just called Dillon and they are sending me the old metal bracket and a primer catch cup. Hopefully they will match the parts described in this thread and I can make the modification. I will keep everyone up to date.

After reading this, I finally got around to trying something like this with my SDB. I didn't go through the whole process of installing a tube though. What I found is the with the SDB I just needed them to get in the provided cup. 9MM brass was needed as the primer hole is considerably smaller on the SDB. The whole process took less than 20 minutes....from getting the appropriate size brass to installation. It was quite an easy upgrade- thanks a ton for the idea nhglyn! :cheers:

post-5009-1191610628.jpg

Edited to add picture

Edited by Rocket35

If anyone want to know why the primers are all over the place this is why.

The Dillon decapper is spring loaded so when the primer gives the decapper is unsprung

shooting the primer into the cup where it can bounce out of the sides where there is daylight.

Somehow it never bounce out the front opening.

If you tape the edges of the cup with electrical tape so no daylight show when the cup is place

back in the holder, then the primers have no way to bounce out.

After trying tape, foam and even thinking about building a new, larger spent primer catch box I put the ultimate fix on my 650. I removed the shell platform from the 650. Set it up in my milling machine upside down and counterbored the primer drop hole with a 3/8th endmill. Turned a long bushing that press fit in the new hole and drilled it large enough to pass a large primer. Back on the machine I clamped a piece of clear vinyl tubing to the new bushing that runs down the right side of the machine and through a 1/2' hole drilled in the strongmount and my bench. The tubing runs into a 30' long piece of 2" PVC pipe that is clamped upright on the inside of my loading bench and capped on the bottom. The tubing is free to rise and fall with the upward movement of the ram( about 4") within the the PVC pipe. Punched out primers now fall down the vinyl tubing and into the PVC pipe and not on the floor. The pipe holds abou 5K primers before it has to be emptied. Took care of the primer problem FOREVER!

If I ever get smart enough to post pics I'll show you folks the $5.00 bullet tray that I made for the 650.

CYa,

Pat

I solved the problem of dropping spent primers on the floor with a simple binder clip. All you have to do is push the spent primer cup all the way in position and take a small binder clip and clip over the side of the cup and the rail. This keeps the cup in place and I never have a spent primer hit the floor while using the 650.

As for the live primers coming down the chute, you guessed it, a small binder clip again. Just clip it over the end and turn the little silver "clip handles" up and it will stop the live primers from hitting the floor.

The 550 is something else. Every time I think I have the problem solved, it starts throwing spent primers at me. The only thing that I do for this is I use a rubber door mat with the holes in it. I place it on the floor under the press and it catches most of the primers that fall making vacuuming a tad easier.

Buddy

It never really bothered me until yesterday, when I filled up a primer tube with 100 primers, turned it upside down to drop 'm in the press.... and noticed there was no clip at the end. Quite irritating when you think you retrieved another primer and it appears to be a spent one.

:unsure:

• 1 year later...

Here is my solution to the spent primers flying all over the room: Get a 300 Win Mag case, others will certainly work, 300 short mags maybe, poke out the primer and drill out the case head with a 13/32 drill, chamfer the heck out of the hole with a case mouth reamer. Remove the primer catcher cup and bracket. Open up the slot in the bracket with a file until the extractor groove of the 300 Mag can be pushed into the slot. With the case so installed, reinstall the bracket using 8-32 X 1/4 screws or longer screws with washers. You can now press a piece of 3/8 or 7/16 or maybe 1/2 ID hose on the 300 Mag case. I have been having a lot of problems with primer drawback. I set the hose to drop the primer in a coffee can which goes "ding" when the primer hits it. When it does not go "ding" I know the primer did not fall free and I am having a drawback issue.

Drawback issue: Speer Brass?

Only ones I ever had that with and only on the 650, 1050 no prob.

Gonna try to make up one of the above mentioned primer catchers for the 650. 223 case works for the 1050s, I use a 2 pond coffee can to catch the spent primers.

Jim

Take the decapping pin and gently stone a bit of a point to it instead of the round, but don't make it sharp! just kind of take off some of the radius. Now it won't get stuck, and draw back is a thing of the past, EVEN with Speer primer anvils. KurtM

• 8 months later...