Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Glock Magazines

Micah

Did a search, found nada...please don't punch me in the face :huh:

After 800 rounds at the range this evening, I noticed that my mags are getting a bit filthy on the insides. Mud from Western PA, gravel from Area 5, and the grime from Keen's Michigan hat from Ohio Sectionals :D .

If you clean your mags once in a blue moon, how do you go about it?

I pop off the bottom and use an Arredondo brush to clean the insides; works like a charm...

Cor

P.S. While I clean my Glock 34 only once every 1 to 2 thousand rounds, I clean my magazines whenever I hear dirt rattling in there or if I drop them on very dusty ground while reloading.

I pop off the bottom and use an Arredondo brush to clean the insides; works like a charm...

.... what he said. ;)

Just be meticulous, and go through them carefully with the Arredondo mag brush, and a shop rag. No special chemicals or skills here. Just clean them dry.

What hat Mr. Clean ???

My method: Notice mags are dirty --- inspect for chunks, no chunks --- keep shooting. Chunks --- bang or scrape out without disassembly. Shoot more. After 2 years, sell mags, order new ones. They're hard enough to take apart for extended basepads, and cheap enough, to just replace the production mags.....

:D Thanks gents. I use the ol' tear down and Simple Green soak for my Glock every 1500 or so rounds, and was curious about the mags.

Brush, shoot, and in one more year sell. Sounds like a winning plan

I don't do it often, but completely strip the upper and lower and soak all the parts in a half water/half Simple Green solution for 30 minutes or so. (I don't usually soak the receiver, but tonight I replaced the Tru-Grip). Scrub it all down with a brush, rinse with water, Q-Tip out the striker/plunger channel, dry and reassemble.

There you have it, clean as the day it was born!

If these are production mags, take the base plate off and the guts out. Then take an exacto blade and cut those damn thingies off of the top center of lip for the base pad. I did that 10,000 rounds ago and have yet to have a mag base pad come off or even loose. It makes one hell of a difference in how hard it is to take the pad off though. I also took the exacto blade and trimmed all the extra loose plastic sticking out at the top and the bottom of the inside of the mag. It's the stuff that is overlapping the metal liner, but not adheared to it. I also periodically check the grove where the mag release catches the outside of the mag for burrs. Sometimes you can get one on the rounded edge of the channel that will stop the release bar from fully engaging or make the mag hang up. I just shave the burr off with my exacto blade. I also check the followers for divits from the mouth edge of the brass. I little 600 or 900 grit emory cloth will smooth it right out.

Then, brush out, wipe off, sprinke a little holy water, and back in the bag.

After reviewing this, that could be a little anal.... But, my basement is always so more serene than the rest of the house :)

If these are production mags, take the base plate off and the guts out. Then take an exacto blade and cut those damn thingies off of the top center of lip for the base pad.

I did this for all of my Glock mags. No problems yet a lot easier to take apart.

Joe

Tear them down. Cleaning with SG won't hurt them at all (M16/tooth brush).

I also run a 12g bore snake through them at times (learned that trick from Anderson). I don't have a mag brush. :(

I dig the bore snake idea. A little soak and dry action seems to be in order, and if they start acting funky, I have plenty o' time to buy new ones before April :D

I use brake cleaner a lot on gun parts. It degreases well, I only use it outside though. If you've ever used Gun Scrubber, you've used brake parts cleaner.

I don't agree with putting silicone or any other lube on the inside of a magazine. Nothing in there requires (or benefits) from lube and it'll attract dirt.

Take 20 mags with you and clean them when you return home.

(Brake cleaner, brush and hot water)

Always starting with clean mags makes a differance in a match.

That's something started back in the 70's or earlier.

We even use it to Clean Firearms and service brakes "On Cars"

It washes all the crud out once you have loosened/scrubbed it free.

Retired Mechanic

And be sure to pop over to Brownells and buy a pair of THESE - worth their weight in gold (especially for those pesky M26/27 short mags)...

I tried one of those and found it to be more of a pain. Mine lives in the box of misfit gun toys in my closet now. After you take Glock mags apart a few times, they get easier to disassemble. I just use a punch, screwdriver, whatever is handy and my fingers and the bases slide right off.