Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Impressions

Merlin Orr

Isnt it possible to just mill the housing length down a bit? I dont have mine yet but I plan to put a S&A magwell on it. I have access to a Brigeport. I think its like bonding with your gun when you get to "tweak" on it some..lol

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt it possible to just mill the housing length down a bit?

Not really. The MS housing is indexed by the cross pin. The only way to fill the gap near as I can tell is to add metal. Not a huge deal for the right guy with a Tig, but I have to wonder if stock 1911 grips have the same length to frame length issue...

:huh:

Love the topic guys!

When I made the decision to stick to shooting L10 (see topic in Range Diary :D ), I began searching for a "dedicated" gun vs. trying to kill my poor little Colts (don't get me wrong, I love my Colts, as in multiple - just not for racing).

I almost ordered a Spartan, but my buddy convinced me to drop the extra $$$ and go with the Trojan. I know this topic is kind of lending towards the Spartan, but does anyone have comparabe info on the Trojan?

Love the topic guys!

When I made the decision to stick to shooting L10 (see topic in Range Diary :D ), I began searching for a "dedicated" gun vs. trying to kill my poor little Colts (don't get me wrong, I love my Colts, as in multiple - just not for racing).

I almost ordered a Spartan, but my buddy convinced me to drop the extra $$$ and go with the Trojan. I know this topic is kind of lending towards the Spartan, but does anyone have comparabe info on the Trojan?

The S&A fit my Trojan perfectly. I did not try it on my Spartan as I used the SVI magwell on it... :)

Love the topic guys!

The S&A fit my Trojan perfectly. I did not try it on my Spartan as I used the SVI magwell on it... :)

:huh: Sorry guys...probably should have phrased my question a little better. Does anyone have First Impressions/Range Info on the Trojan?

Merlin - Glad to hear it as that is what I am having put on mine! :)

It is as Eric mentioned. The frame is either a little short or the pin hole is a little low. I have square bottom grips on mine and they fit well enough. The gap on my gun is only about .030". Not worth fixing.

There's a post on one of the 1911 boards concerning this. The poster said that when he installed an S&A mag well he had about a 1/16" gap between the frame and the forks on the mag well. I can't find the post now but I'll post a link if I can.

Thanks for the Heads Up!!

I found the thread.

More info, authority the friendly neighborhood 1911 guru who tweaked the trigger and hung an ambi on for me: The hammer and sear (and disconnector?) look like true, typical quality STI parts. The trigger went from 5 1/4 to 3 3/4 with spring bending only. He said that the hammer hooks look high and the pull could be brought down more with metal work. The inside looks good to me, not a bunch of machining marks like I expected at the price point. The bushing is finger tight. The bushing looks odd to me, thin at the front. That may just be an STI deal, I don't have previous experience with them. It's amazing how much the trigger work and some concentration helped my bench groups, they went from odd shaped and varying sizes to...well, plenty small and even. I'll post a range report in that area when I get chance and have a few more rounds through it. Reliability is not a concern so far, and that is the most important part. I really want to get a pic up, the dark matte blue with gray/black Davidson Horned Lizards looks great.

One problem: The S&A mag well doesn't fit very well. The MSH hole is not positioned correctly...or the frame is too short? The same well fit on 3 other guns (Springfields). There is a nearly even 1/16 inch gap between the bottom of the frame and top of the well. Not a big problem except the "horns" of the well are sharp and I'm wondering if they will hang on anything. I have an E-mail in to STI to see if they are aware or have a suggestion. I can't just bend it them horns up, there would be a gap near the MSH left. I don't think it would make sense to spend the cash on a re-weld and drill of the frame holes, maybe some long grips...Hopefully STI can help, but no E-answer so far.

I still like the gun, it is unquestionably a deal.

Here's a link: 1911forum.com

I noticed in the 1911forum thread that STI indicated that they were aware of the gap and that subsequent ones would not have that problem.

*sigh* Gaps, Guide rods without paper clip holes......

Such are the misfortunes of us early adopters.

But I still love it!

I hate to say this, but it's replaced my SA Loaded with Custom shop work as my primary SS gun.

Anybody replaced the stock .125 front with a more narrow front on the Spartan? I thought the front sight dovetail cut was the Kimber, and while it's similar in width... ~.331 vs .330, the dovetail cut on the Spartan appears to be deeper than the Kimber cut. The bottom of the front sight blade on a Kimber front sight impacts the top of the slide as you insert it, due to the depth of the dovetail on the Spartan slide. Have the question in to STI but thought I'd inquire here as well.

Edited by cpty1

Benny installed a thinner Caspian front FO on mine. The dovetail was not too deep but I believe it was slightly tight and it took a pass on the mill to get it right. I can get the specs if you wish.

What did Benny Mill, the Slide?? Or the Sight??

Y

Benny installed a thinner Caspian front FO on mine. The dovetail was not too deep but I believe it was slightly tight and it took a pass on the mill to get it right. I can get the specs if you wish.

What did Benny Mill, the Slide?? Or the Sight??

Y

The slide.

Actually every gun I own has the Caspian front FO on it. The one that is the larger dovetail of the two they offer.

One thought is the Kimber front may be a suitable option, but in some cases, it may be necessary to relieve the underneath side of the blade to clear the slide.

The Kimber Sight is the same as the Novak.

According to Chris at STI the Sentinel Sight is .330 x .65, this is the info I got from him last week.

So I guess that is what Merlin had to have done to his slide, open it up top fit a Caspian with Novak Dovetail.

Y

I switched to the spartan as my first 1911 from a glock. I used to get an extremly high grip on the glock (getting the snake bites on the web of my hand often) but i just shoot that way and am efficient like that. When i get a really high grip on the Spartan, it seems like i dont get the pressure on the grip safety that it needs to compress it fully and the trigger will lock up when i'm trying to shoot. Are there any safeties that are like bigger than what is on it now that will mean less to compress when i get a grip on the gun? Also, are the grip safeties easy to install or do i have to have a gunsmith do it?

Also, what do you guys think of a lighter recoil spring in it? I'm shooting 4.3 of clays over a 230Berrys RN.

Thanks

Dan

I love the gun though!

It's a simple thing for a gunsmith to adjust travel of the grip safety so the release is accomplished with just a touch. You might be able to do it yourself but it is SOoo easy to overdo it. Or, you might have it pinned (made un operational) if you are doing the USPSA thing only.

You might try a 16# spring in the gun and see how the gun feels.

Just picked up my Spartan from Chris!! Thanks again!! I really like it so far, hoping to get it to the range tomorrow for a test run. I've got to relieve some of the back of the frame on the sides of the grip safety, as its not blended really well, and I can't get my mitts up high enough, unless it cuts into my hand! Just a personal preference for me, thats all :) After I get it smoothed up (all over frame, triggerguard etc...) i'm going to ship the frame out for some hardchrome treatment, along with my 2011. Hopefully all goes well tomorrow!

-Richie

• 4 weeks later...

Forest and Field in Connecticut, the Gun Center in Buffalo, NY, Cheaper Than Dirt in Fort Worth, TX, and Denny's in N. Kansas City will all have STI Spartans tomorrow, or shortly thereafter.

They are well worth checking out if you live close to either of these stores.

Forest and Field in Connecticut, the Gun Center in Buffalo, NY, Cheaper Than Dirt in Fort Worth, TX, and Denny's in N. Kansas City will all have STI Spartans tomorrow, or shortly thereafter.

They are well worth checking out if you live close to either of these stores.

I got mine today ;)

And still have one left, I had another order canceled.

Look at the add in the For Sale page

Y