Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 3gun Scope For All Conditions?

gl

The best "all round 3gun rifle scope" is the one that you personally have found by a somewhat variable amount of trial and error to work the best for you personally , on your own rifle PERIOD

I can't really agree that a low powered variable is the best all round choice for everyone. The fixed mag ACOG's just plain work way too well for too many folks for that to be so.

I've had a Specter DR for a few weeks and it is starting to grow on me. I'm still learning the muscle memory for the lever to switch from 1x to 4x, but the 6moa red dot for 100 yds and in, and the TA11-style ranging stadia with 1.5moa dot for 100 yds and farther, is looking like an all worlds solution to me. I get to try everything that comes out and this is the first in awhile that has stayed on a gun for more than a week or so.

I still love TA11's, but I'm weakening with this one.

I can't really agree that a low powered variable is the best all round choice for everyone. The fixed mag ACOG's just plain work way too well for too many folks for that to be so.

How many of those "too many folks" also use a J Point, a short range fixed sight or some other 2ndary sight for close in stuff? If you have to rely on a 2ndary sight to efficiently solve the problem, your primary isn't "best for all conditions", which is what Guy asked about.

A fixed 3.5 or 4 power scope has too narrow a field of view at close in distances to be fully effective. That is why people mount 2ndary sights and use them at hoser ranges.

Acog's are great scopes, their best utility is at probably 75 - 100 yards and greater. No argument about them being a great product at those distances. If Trijicon would have gotten off their duff and come up with a good variable based on the Acog design, they would own the market. Variables and now scopes like the Elcan are eating away at the Acog market share and have been doing so for the last 3 years oe so. I see it in the sales figures. For the all around 3 gun game, a variable that has a true 1 power or a flip fixed variable like the Elcan is the way to go.

Guy, thanks for stirring the pot.

Meopta K Dot

Simmons Turkey Scope ( discontinued)

These are the only two I have actually owned myself.

How about...Name the top 6 (or insert #) of scopes you are familiar with. Then - we create a "Final & Definitave Poll." :P My contribution is above.

Dodge, because they wrap their cheap frame, body and wiring around a Cummins motor to answer your question Mr. Lund.

Best 3-gun scope would be the Elcan except they "stole" the wrong reticle, it should have been from a TA-11, so in that view it aint made yet!

I have the TA-11 and Meopta and I like the Meopta, BUT I still have to say the TA-11 is the best...oh yea...I don't run a secondary sight at all and I can smoke at close range, ask Mr. Neil. So I guess I am on of those "many" that just run a TA-11.

Besides Mike.45 claimed the rifle I have the Meopta on so I guess in a way I don't have a Meopta anymore :D

I like the sharks with the freakin laser beams on their heads.....but seriously brother....i am like you.....a iron shooter and need info on optics as well........ACOGS are all i have run in the past.....

Edited by Helmut

Almost any low-magnification fixed or variable scope (with decent optics) will be fine for 3gun. TA-11, Meopta, IOR, S&B Short Dot, ELCAN, on down to the Simmons and Weaver 1-3x. Which is best? Whichever one you practice the most with.

I also run a TA-11, no secondary sights. Shooting both eyes open, I can run it as fast as a dot sight at 50 yards in. But like anything else, the TA-11 isn't going to perform miracles for you. You have to shoot it alot to get fast..

- Chris

If $ was no object, what is the best scope for all conditons for 3Gun????

Let the games begin!

Leupold CQ/T! Oh wait, this is 2006 now...I am still living in the past, d@mn! :D In all seriousness, it is still good enough to be a serious scope for 3 gun IMO, until you need to reach beyond 350 yds. It is built like a tank and darn good glass!

Just to be off the track, I think it is more important to know the exact ballistic of your load, the optic only helps but not tell you what you don't know :P