Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Myth Continues

p99shooter

I met a person last week that actually still believed that Glocks were made out of some magic ceramic composite, and could pass undetected through an airport metal detector.

STILL, after how many years? This person wasn't dumb either, but had heard the misinformation so long ago and never looked into it for himself. It goes to show how powerful propoganda can be.

Wow!

It seems to defy all logic. The airport can catch the 48 cents in change that i got from buying a pack of gum but not a gun. You would think that if there was a mainstream firearm that could pass though airport security they would be doing more than having us take off our shoes.

I heard someone I respected claim glocks could go though the airport security a couple of years ago, I was quick to correct him.

If you took every part off that wasn't plastic it would go through, but then you wouldn't have a gun just a hunk of plastic.

But somewhere they did a security check on people running the scanners. They disassembled the barrel, slide and frame and inspector did not catch it. Even though the barrel and slide were very obvious.

Well some people aren't that bright. When I was interviewing for the position I currently have, they had this one guy who was a real genius. He has a master degree in mechanical engineering. During the interview/shop tour, he was asked to identify various materials some of the parts were made of. He picked up a magnesium landing gear door and thought is was made of carbon fiber composites. It's pretty sad when a mechanical engineer couldn't tell the difference between metal and plastic.

Well some people aren't that bright. When I was interviewing for the position I currently have, they had this one guy who was a real genius. He has a master degree in mechanical engineering. During the interview/shop tour, he was asked to identify various materials some of the parts were made of. He picked up a magnesium landing gear door and thought is was made of carbon fiber composites. It's pretty sad when a mechanical engineer couldn't tell the difference between metal and plastic.

Actually you can do a lot with finish and coatings.. enough that blind user tests can't tell plastic from metal.. but not magnesium to carbon-fiber, in eyesight.. eek.

Yesterday in Cleveland, I was chatting with one of the officers at the Steelers/Browns game...

Me-"It's nice that they issue you guys Glocks. Which one is that?"

Cop-"It's a Glock 40."

Me-"40 cal?"

Cop-"Not sure...but I know that it's a Glock 40."

Me- :huh: '...there's my wife...gotta go!'

Yesterday in Cleveland, I was chatting with one of the officers at the Steelers/Browns game...

Cop-"It's a Glock 40."

Me-"40 cal?"

:wacko:

Cop-"It's a Glock 40."

Me-"40 cal?"

You were in a hurry to leave, because you figured his next line would include the words "I'm the only one qualified enough to carry a Glock 40......", right? And you knew first aid would be required shortly after that?

Cop-"It's a Glock 40."

Me-"40 cal?"

You've gotta be friggin kiddin. This guys life may depend on this thing and ...............forget it.......you all know.

I met a person last week that actually still believed that Glocks were made out of some magic ceramic composite, and could pass undetected through an airport metal detector.

STILL, after how many years? This person wasn't dumb either, but had heard the misinformation so long ago and never looked into it for himself. It goes to show how powerful propoganda can be.

That information may have come from the original Die Hard movie where the character played by Bruce Willis stated that the bad guys were using a very expensive ceramic German made Glock 7.

Of course, when he went to use a payphone in Washington, DC it was labeled "Pacific Bell", so the incompetence on the part of the producers was not confined to just the guns.

Cop-"It's a Glock 40."

Me-"40 cal?"

You've gotta be friggin kiddin. This guys life may depend on this thing and ...............forget it.......you all know.

Dude, being in Phenix City, AL, you probably are in the Army and stationed at Fort Benning. You've had to have seen/heard dumber stuff than this on post. The (lack of) education of those in positions to use firearms daily is pathetic.

That said. I have a couple of the G-12, Secret Squirrel, Pre-Ban, Anti-X-Ray, hover model, doubt probationary Glocks. They're loaded with Black Talons that have a similar coating so if you're shot you can't even detect it. :ph34r:

Rich

That information may have come from the original Die Hard movie where the character played by Bruce Willis stated that the bad guys were using a very expensive ceramic German made Glock 7.

Of course, when he went to use a payphone in Washington, DC it was labeled "Pacific Bell", so the incompetence on the part of the producers was not confined to just the guns.

It was Diehard 2 (the airport one). A truckload of us went to see Diehard 2 while at a match in Reno many, many moons ago. I jumped up and shouted "WHAT!" when that line was uttered in the movie. I turned to all my buddies and they all had the same looks on their faces too, like WTF? I made it through the movie but can't really stomach that type of stuff anymore and will give up on flicks that are that dumb nowadays.

. . . . and before that, when the G-17 first hit the market, the anti-gun crowd embraced Goebbel's first rule of propaganda -- if you repeat an outrageous lie often enough, there will always be a sufficient number of fools who will believe it. I think Walter Williams referred to these people as "useful idiots" in one of his columns; people who give legs to a lie simply because they need it to bolster their (flimsy) position and thereby lend momentum to the larger scheme of people with ulterior motives.

The lie wasn't aimed at you or me, or Pelosi or Schumer; it was aimed at scaring little Suzy Soccermom who can't tell a Glock from a garbage can lid.

Cop-"It's a Glock 40."

Me-"40 cal?"

You were in a hurry to leave, because you figured his next line would include the words "I'm the only one qualified enough to carry a Glock 40......", right? And you knew first aid would be required shortly after that?

Exactly. I'm not good enough to win matches hopping around on crutches ;)

Cop-"It's a Glock 40."

Me-"40 cal?"

Why did you ask if it was 40 cal?!?!

Cop-"It's a Glock 40."

Me-"40 cal?"

Why did you ask if it was 40 cal?!?!

Morbid curiosity. In the back of my mind, the whole DEA movie was playing, and I had to know if the LEO would refer to his gun as a model 40.