Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Are You Guys Using For Ar-15 Magazine Pouches?

mcb

Just getting into 3-gun and am trying to figure out what to use for AR-15 magazine pouches. Probably only need two maybe three spare magazines at most but I can't seem to find a good pouch. In the few matches I have shoot I just stuffed a 20 rd magazine in my 6 round shotshell stripper and a spare 30rd in my cargo pocket on my shorts. Something a little faster would be nice.

Thanks

mcb

I have a couple of different ones. All equally capable to do the job.

California Comp Works (1 - horizontal; 1 - vertical)

Bladetech (single mag pouch)

3GunGear (1 - horizontal; 1 - vertical)

All three get it done. They were just acquired at various points in time.

Rich

I'm using one of those 3 Gun gear Thigh rigs.. it looks a little tacibilly, but the mag azines are pretty much easily accessible whatever my position is - standing, prone, etc.

I'm also chicken, so it carries 2. :) I always want to have one more than I'd ever need.

My holders are custom leather single pouches made by a local guy 15+ years ago. If I needed to buy again, I would get 3, or 4 BladeTech single holders so I could add and subtract them to my belt as needed. No such thing as too many AR mag pouches if you ever shoot the MGM IronMan ;-)

I use the ones from The Wilderness, also easy on and off. Had a few from 3-gun gear but they floped around too much, and were too high. These were very early ones, and I have seen that these problems have been fixed.

Thanks for all the great replies. You guys can also verbally flog me for putting this topic in the wrong sub forum. Probably should have put this in the 3-gun accessories forum. Anyway thanks for the help.

mcb

• 2 weeks later...
I use the ones from The Wilderness, also easy on and off. Had a few from 3-gun gear but they floped around too much, and were too high. These were very early ones, and I have seen that these problems have been fixed.

+1 on the wilderness, Don't like the kydex cause if you end up laying or rolling on them, ouch, Like the wilderness gear and they are also local for me, good customer service as well. More available than 3gun gear as well.

Just getting into 3-gun and am trying to figure out what to use for AR-15 magazine pouches. Probably only need two maybe three spare magazines at most but I can't seem to find a good pouch. In the few matches I have shoot I just stuffed a 20 rd magazine in my 6 round shotshell stripper and a spare 30rd in my cargo pocket on my shorts. Something a little faster would be nice.

Thanks

mcb

MOLLE thigh rig with 2 mag pouches (remove the flaps).

Large enough for a pair of cinched 30 round mags.

- left thigh carry.

Thanks

mcb

MOLLE thigh rig with 2 mag pouches (remove the flaps).

Large enough for a pair of cinched 30 round mags.

- left thigh carry.

I just setup the same thing rig. I order some of the inexpensive MOLLE gear from Cheaper than Dirt and it showed up today. The quality is really good given the price. I got a open top double pouch and a thigh mount. Mounting that double pouch on the thigh mount was a pain but once I got it adjusted it works pretty good.

I did some quick practice with a par timer and was managing 2.5 second reloads. I set my par timer to 2.5 seconds and random start. I would hit start and then sight on a target on the wall. When the first beep went off I did the reload. I could consistently beat the 2.5 par time. I manage 2 seconds a few times but not consistently, practice is not doubt required.

I think a waist mounted pouch like blade-tech might be faster but the thigh rig will work better for a multi-gun match were you might be wearing your pistol and possible shotgun gear at the same time.

Rambling

mcb