Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have We Discussed I E 7 Yet...?

I'm not unhappy with Firefox. The biggest feature that sets IE7 apart from Firefox seems to be the anti-phishing suite. I don't think Microsoft has puritanical motives in collecting this information, so essentially this becomes a discussion of whether Microsoft can be trusted.

I don't think Microsoft can be trusted, the information collected will be abused.

Although it does seem a little slower?

MASSIVELY slower...system freezes...and wait (and wait, and wait...) 'til you save a tab group on shutting it down. You'll have time to go out for dinner when you re-open it whilst all the pages load. YMMV, but I'd stay away for a bit...it would seem some tweaks are in order.

The only good thing I personally have to say about it at this point is that it finally pushed me to Firefox... :wacko:

My take after using a bunch of the betas is it's better than IE6 (more secure, more usable, swiped most of the good FF features) but it's still not the end-all-be-all of browsers. I still run FF mostly, and IE6 & 7 otherwise. The really irritating part is Microsoft is pushing it out to everybody as a 'critical update', so it's somewhat difficult not to get it downloaded to you.

I'm using it somewhat experimentally but routinely... to see what happens. Nothing much different has happened yet. Haven't activated the anti-phishing thing and haven't quite figured out what's what with that "search choice" thing. Reluctant to click on it for fear of MS getting me stuck with something I didn't anticipate. I already tried to make Google my default search tool (in the conventional manner under Internet Options) but it didn't take. That ticked me off somewhat...... :angry:

haven't quite figured out what's what with that "search choice" thing. Reluctant to click on it for fear of MS getting me stuck with something I didn't anticipate. I already tried to make Google my default search tool (in the conventional manner under Internet Options) but it didn't take. That ticked me off somewhat...... :angry:

My wife uses IE7 more than I. She said the "search choice" is where she made Google the default search tool. I am used to the conventional manner also.

You want to talk about slow, try Peachtree accounting 2007 sometime. I usually grab a cup of coffee while its loading. Reminds me of the 8086 days. :wacko: When I downloaded ie7 I also downloaded firefox ver2, which is new to me. But so far it looks like FF will my main browser for now on.

I have been using the new IE 7 for about a week. The load speed appears to be the same as IE 6. The tabbing function is a nice feature, once you get used to it. I have had 12 tabs open in one IE 7 copy and another copy with 6 tabs open with no issues.

I do not use the phishing software, so have no idea as to its utility. The pop up blocking software is working fine.

Google tool bar is working fine and causing no issues.

So far, so good.

Tried it. Hated it. Typical Microsoft can't be content with just making a browser, they have to infiltrate everything else on your machine. Why should IE 7 make my DreamWeaver authentication roles quit working? Not sure the reasoning but that's just one of the documented "features" I wasn't happy with and like all IE browsers it's a real pain to remove and roll back once you have installed it.

As a web developer, I can't understand the desire to force users to only have one version of your browser installed. Different versions support different code sets so it's nice to be able to preview your work in multiple browsers from the same machine. What do you care if a user wants to clutter up their hard drive with ten versions of your bloated browser? Oh well, thanks again paper clip.

I'm not fishing in here... ;) But, for those experienced with both IE and Firefox, is there any reason not to use Firefox over IE? Feature and function-wise - not because of not wanting to switch browsers. (For those not wanting to switch from IE.)

be

Firefox renders pages a little harsh for me, although it's ok, I prefer IE.

And there's some things that FireFox had problems with before (eg: client side XSLT transforms), that may be corrected now.

And since, I mostly develop in house software, and we have 240K people running IE only, I'll never switch.

Brian.. what's the percentage of browsers you see on your site?

I couldn't find current usage stats for the internet at large.

Yeah, there are some pages that won't render right in FireFox for whatever reason, then if you use a site that has ActiveX or whatever, you have to use IE. I have both, but spend 95% of my time in FF.

I got it jsut because it's more secure than IE6. I don't use IE if at all possible.

I have to say I REALLY like opera 9. With it's abillity to set cookie handling per-site and the ability to fully mask itself as mozilla or IE, it now works on most every site. It's blazing fast, and it's adblocking and filtering are simple and easy to use. Loads and runs WAY faster than firefox as well. The widgets are pretty cool too.

ETA:

oh yeah.. IE7 is slow, and whoever did the tabbed interface must never have used a computer before. CLUNKY and unpleasant and I'm being kind.

Edited by raz-0