Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Hate Not Being Safe Anymore

lynn jones

Don't worry about it. 99% of all locks on houses today have been able to be opened in less than a minute for more than 40 years, yet about zero bad guys do it. The bumping stuff is interesting only in that it works on more higher-security locks (though not all of them). Bumping a Schlage or worse yet a Kwikset is a waste of time and perfectly good key blanks.

Long ago I worked as a locksmith... picked entries of any sort were very very rare. Bricks are much quicker and easier to learn.

Don't worry about it. 99% of all locks on houses today have been able to be opened in less than a minute for more than 40 years, yet about zero bad guys do it. The bumping stuff is interesting only in that it works on more higher-security locks (though not all of them). Bumping a Schlage or worse yet a Kwikset is a waste of time and perfectly good key blanks.

Long ago I worked as a locksmith... picked entries of any sort were very very rare. Bricks are much quicker and easier to learn.

+1

They basically do what a pick-gun does. Part of our business is forensic locksmithing, and even though we only do 100% automotive locks that are completely different, I ordered a set for the hell of it. If what the news show say is true, the difference between bumping and picking would be that picking leaves distinctive marks.

Get a "reactive" dog (pc term) and an alarm system.

Locks are just there to keep honest people honest.

Reminds of me of years ago when I had a Geo Tracker and the stereo got stolen. Had an alarm and it was a rag top. They broke the driver side window and pretty much crow-barred out the whole center of the dash (almost $2000 dollars damage for a $100 stereo!) Probably did it in under 10 seconds and the alarm was no deterent. I asked the cops why they didn't just unzip the window and open the door. He said because breaking windows is more fun! Guess the same thing applies to houses. Why monkey around picking a lock when a paver stone gets you instant access? :angry:

Beyond that, many houses (like mine) have glass somewhere near a door - break window, turn lock is much faster than pick or bump or whatever, and you're not carrying around a set of tools that allow the police to build some kind of case against you if you're caught away from the scene (or on the way to it).

I need to look at the "reactive" dog answer... ;) The wiener dogs are great alarm systems, but when it comes to stopping someone who's entered the place... maybe not so good... :D

Bumping a Schlage or worse yet a Kwikset is a waste of time and perfectly good key blanks.

Shred - does that mean those are bump resistant?

No I think he means they can be open with a dull butter knife.

Yeah, Vlad's got it.

+1

They basically do what a pick-gun does. Part of our business is forensic locksmithing, and even though we only do 100% automotive locks that are completely different, I ordered a set for the hell of it. If what the news show say is true, the difference between bumping and picking would be that picking leaves distinctive marks.

Bumping will leave forensic marks, but they'll be a lot smaller and less distinctive than somebody thrashing away with a snapper tool. A real pro doesn't leave much behind when picking or impressioning either.

Bumping will leave forensic marks, but they'll be a lot smaller and less distinctive than somebody thrashing away with a snapper tool. A real pro doesn't leave much behind when picking or impressioning either.

I think you're right and that's what we will be curious to see, but we have microscope setups and guys that examine locks for marks everyday (real CSI shit). Tool mark stuff doesn't really come up anymore because we do all automotive that doesn't need picking either and even then that's all primarily transponder key related nowadays.

I think the real concern of bump keys is not higher chances of having a break in, but the news and the internet increasing the odds of having a big old fight over collecting insurance because of signs of forced entry or not.

from alarm systems to nanycams to tougher locks, they all accomplish the task of generating more signs of forced entry if it comes to that.

I had not previously heard about this. I wonder aside from a full blown electronic type of lock such as HID or similar, if there's any solution to this issue.

There's more than a handful of videos on google pertaining to this including a news report from the Netherlands.

Interesting how this sounds a lot like gun control.

Reporter: Those keysets can be bought online?

Locksmith: That is correct.

Reporter: Strange, shouldn't that be forbidden?

Locksmith: Why, you can't outlaw keys, can you?

Reporter: These are special keys that can be used for burglary.

Locksmith: Yes, but you can use many things for burglary, like a screwdriver or saw.

I had not previously heard about this. I wonder aside from a full blown electronic type of lock such as HID or similar, if there's any solution to this issue.

Yeah, any lock that doesn't use the Yale pin-tumber principle (first discovered by the ancient Egyptians, but Yale didn't know that, nor did they know him) of stacked pins and a shear line will be safe from bumping, such as disc locks or lever tumblers or sidebar setups like the twist-pin Medecos or Ace tubular locks (well, they'll need a different sort of bump key) or whatever, but again it really doesn't matter much. FWIW I have ordinary locks on my house, but the good stuff lives in a safe.

One thing that would scare me would be an apartment complex where usually the brand of locks are all the same.

Took me about 5 minutes with a triangle file to make one for a Kwikset lock.

This is really disturbing. I'm glad I bought a Liberty Colonial this past summer!