Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Grease & Lubricant For Competition Firearms

Tolly

I have a question for the Slide Gliders. How easy it is to get that stuff off when cleaning And...

I DON'T want to hear "I only clean it every 5000 rounds."

Sorry, that does not work for me, i am Type "A" about my guns.

I have been using Tetra Gun Lubricant

But is seems sluggish in my .45.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you need to get the Slide Glide off because of some obsessive compulsive need to clean a perfectly functioning weapon spray it with brake cleaner then reapply the SG. :)

Dale

Thanks, I know, I have a problem, but I just can't help myself!!

It's okay Jay, I was brought up to believe one did not go to bed with a dirty gun and always cleaned them as soon as I got home from the range. Then I stumbled into a monthly match, then this board and now my hard chromed blasters get cleaned on rare occasions even though

they don't need it. :D

It's okay Jay, I was brought up to believe one did not go to bed with a dirty gun and always cleaned them as soon as I got home from the range. Then I stumbled into a monthly match, then this board and now my hard chromed blasters get cleaned on rare occasions even though

they don't need it. :D

I know, but I think there is NO hope for me!!

My limited Blaster is Hard Chromed and my SS Blaster is Stainless, neither one needs it, but....

:wacko::unsure::o:(

I just can't help myself, I guess it is from my precision shooting days. :D

I just ordered #1 and #3 Slide Glide. :) Now I need to go pick up some brake cleaner :D

BTW, will brake cleaner to any harm to grips or Fiber Optic sights?

Edited by zhunter

Motor Oil.. in a little squeeze bottle.

Every once in a while I grab the bottle of Mil-tec or some white lithium grease but.. usually, a few drops of motor oil.

I started to answer Baby Oil but then I realized the topic was "Which" Grease & Lubricant not "Wench" I should wear my glasses at the computer.

I've never had any trouble cleaning off slide glide. I usually spray it off with brake cleaner, trying to keep it away from the fiber optic front sight. I normally spray the top end and wipe the bottom end unless I'm detailing the thing.

I was anal about gun cleaning until I started shooting more than once a week and then my wife joined in to add another gun to the mix. I spent all my time cleaning guns. I switched to jacketed/plated bullets and clean them every couple of months whether they need it or not B)

I use Slide Glide lite on my HK USP, and also on my STI Edge. Works great. Wipes off and cleans up easy. Just be sure to not get it on the grip, as it tends to stay there until wiped off. I use it on the rails, and recoil spring assembly.

I bought from Wal-Mart, "Super Tech Extreme Pressure Multi-duty Complex Hi-Temp grease". Big can, low cost.

Use it on all of my guns including my AR and my duty weapon. I thin it a bit with FP-10, works well.

Jon

Edited by zen_grasshopper

• 2 weeks later...

after reading all the good stuff about slide glide, I got to thinking that the extra light weight Amsoil grease I had in the garage looked like slide glide and had superior lubricating properties compared to everything else I had tried, so I thought (being the cheap b*stard I am) that a hole tube of that stuff was about $5 and would last me a lifetime compared to the $8 small jar of slideglide. I tried it on several guns and was amazed at the results. I then began using the 0-50W amsoil Oil for lubricating anything else on the guns. My brother is a professional engine builder and an amsoil dealer, so I always seemed to have some in my garage. I began draining the empty bottles overnight and collecting what was in the cap in the morning, only takes about 5 bottles to get a couple of oz's of oil. I tried it on several guns and found it to work better than any gun oil I had ever tried. the wear seemed to dissappear on my guns. I began using the oil on my duty gun because it didnt evaporate off like remoil or the others did. a month later, the barrel was still wet!

I never have compared it to slideglide and slideglide might be better, but im sure the margin would be very un-noticeable, but knowing me, I will probably have to try it someday just to see. In the meantime, its amsoil for me. I have also had good luck with the white lithium grease in cold weather (glocks anyhow). Breakfree isnt a very good lubricant, but it is about the best protective oil I have ever used, that stuff prevents rust like no other.

i use tetra lube for pretty much everything. on a pistol that's broken-in, i believe in 'less is more' and usually wipe everything 'dry' when i'm done cleaning and lubing. it leaves behind a film that doesn't attract much funk and slicks things up just fine.

brake cleaner will eat paint!

frye

• 4 weeks later...

When I got my first gun, the dealer showed me how to strip it and it was lubed with RHT oil.

I had already bought a can of SG due to all the good things you ppl say about it and wehn I got it home I took it apart and glided it up.

Oh my lord what a smooth gun it makes!

The first thing everyone in my club says when handling it is the same.

"Wow that was smooth!"

I apply a lot of it to anything that is in contact with anything in the upper. Rails, barrel, RM and all. On the trigger/safety parts its the RHT oil I got from the dealer.

I will probably never try anything else for lube.

I have always used Rem oil in a spray can. This is a synthetic, so it is not suppose to be effected by the cold, and never platters all over like clp does.Has worked good so far, but this slide glide does have my curiousity.

Waxman

The Slide Glide is great, I just started using it. Besides making my gun work nice and smoothly, I now am NOT getting oil all over my shirt. And that is a good thing.

Slide Glide also seems to stay on the gun for the "duration" and not need more lubrication over a long 2 day match.

I see it as a double bonus.

I live in Florida and I use SG #3. I like the fact it stays in place for the duration and in hot weather. It makes the gun cycle smooth. For clean up I wipe off the bulk with a old rag and use Simple Green cleaner and a old tooth brush for the rest.