Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'd put big money on Tulsa being the next PASA and having a whole bunch of Nationals over the next few years. A lot of that will depend on the Open/Prod Nats but even if there are a couple of issues, which I'm sure there will be. I'm sure that the USSA crew will have a kick butt facitility in the future. The amount of work that has gone on just this year is incredible. Tom Fee has done a great job of putting together a range, and a world class team of shooters to help guide him. I'm willing to support any match that he'll put on the ground there If we want anyone to build clubs for us we have to. USPSA needs to be willing to support these guys and go to the matches. If Tulsa isn't on your list of places you always wanted to go...bummer. But they're not going to drop a world class shooting facility right outside a major city. Too much expansion. I think Tulsa is going to be great and I hope I get to shoot there at least a couple times next year.

And not being in Oregon would be a really safe bet. Tom and Mike are hosting the Area 1 Multi Gun Championship again.

Outstanding! I might go to my first USPSA 3 gun nationals if it is only 2 hr. away. For those of you that have never been to Tulsa, it is a great city easy to get around and wonderful places to eat.

Ste up the dates so that the matches finish on Friday. THat leaves two days to travel home. You can make it from Tulsa to almost anywhere in the US in that time frame.

Leave home on Saturday, casusal drive out, shoot Tuesday, Wed, Thurs Fri morning. Awards Friday night and get up early Saturday, home in 21 hours. Straight through or stop for the night. Especially good for 3-gun.

Heck, I just mapped it out. A 1500 mile radius of Tulsa gets almost all the Continental US plus All of Mexico and a goodly portion of Canada.

Average of 50 MPH and you are there in 30 Hours!

Just no shooting on Saturday!

Jim

Like Jim says, Tulsa is about a 2 day drive from anywhere in the US and good portions of Canada and Mexico.

Of course my preference would be out west somewhere while others would like it over by the older, Eurpoean side of the country but if the Tulsa range works out for the Produciton Nationals, without too many teething pains, than it's a viable option. At least it's in the middle and there very likely might be a decent place to eat in the area.

I like his travel on the weekend concept. That way you only shred one week instead of portions of two.

Tulsa sounds good to me. Although I won't be able to shoot next year's match, I was going to suggest Oklahoma or Texas. Better have your wind reads right for them longer rifle shots is my first thought.

As for the east coast...doubt it. Face the facts that most 3-Gun shooters come from the west and midwest. Evidence? SMM3G is THE hottest selling ticket in 3-Gun. Period.

So my advice for anyone that wants to hold a 3-Gun match. Have lots of steel, bays (at least 15) and props. Great support staff. Easy access to a major airport that Southwest Airlines flies into (sports/recreational luggage doesn't count as extra baggage) and plenty of stuff to do in the area.

Hope to see y'all at the 2008 SMM3G. Probably should send my application in now! <_<

Rich

I live in West Virginia, and I don't see there being any National 3 gun match on the east coast for a long time. I can't even find any club level 3gun within a decent driving distance.

However the interest is growing.....

I live in West Virginia, and I don't see there being any National 3 gun match on the east coast for a long time. I can't even find any club level 3gun within a decent driving distance.

However the interest is growing.....

We shot Area 7 3gun last month and it was a First class match. Shot out to 300yards and they have all the room for 15 stages. Harvard Mass. Shooters had plenty of help and I think they could handle a National Match, also multi major airports and cities within 1 hour drive.

I have to admit that I missed Area 7 3gun, because my old home club put on the Owensboro multi-gun match so I went their to hang out with old fellow club members. If they had not been back to back weekends I would have done both.

If you put the match on again next year list me as a potential RO.

I stand corrected, there is a place that could do the 3gun Nationals on the east coast with definately plenty of other attraction and things to do around the area.

Edited by ap3

There was a security guard working for Gavin deBecker that carried his gun in a locked box (legal for travel) delcared it to the ticket agent. Followed all the TSA rules and was arrested to the best of my knowledge the case is still pending. He was traveling through New York had not stayed there he was only using the airport.

I wouldn't travel through New York with firearms.

I'll try to find out where the case sits now.

• 2 weeks later...

While we were in Tulsa, Dave Thomas stated that although no contracts had yet been signed, the 3-gun Nationals and one of the handgun Nationals (Hopefully the Open again!) will be held in Tulsa! WooHoo! Seven hours beats 14 or more hours anytime!

The other handgun nationals will probably be held in Montana (he didn't say which club).

Bill

Thanks Dan. I don't know the laws up there, but don't recall them being favorable.

That being said, I think Tulsa makes sense. Off the pics alone and their apparent enthusiasm to host OUR matches, rather than just simply fitting us in, is very exciting. Too, there's tons of access to Tulsa. SWA flies into both Tulsa and OKC. At worst if you had to fly into say Dalls or KC, you'd be there in a couple of hours.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Rich

I believe that Missoula, MT was putting in a bid for the other Nationals. They hosted the 2005 Area 1 Championship. Probably the prettiest range I've ever been to. It's a little harder to get to than, well everywhere, but it is a great range and they did a great job with the Area 1. Should be a good match if they get it. I'll definitely be going to Tulsa for the others though.