Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Edge And Factory Ammo

KentG

I am thinking of going to a 2011 at some point over the winter in .40 for multigun use. At this point in time all I reload is 45ACP for SS/L10. My question is IF I buy a STI Edge, most likely from one of the vendors mentioned on these boards who tune them before shipping,, WILL IT RUN ON FACTORY AMMO? I might go a few months using factory stuff before I buy the conversion pieces for my 650 and figure out a load. I wonder if the OAL will matter in some kind of white box ammo and how factory ammo will function.

Nothing is for sure yet but Id like some info if anyone knows.

Thanks!

My Edge (2 yrs. old) works mo' betta' with a bullet loaded slightly longer than factory. Zero hollowpoints, or Montana Gold. Reliability is iffy with WWB .40, at least in my gun. A friend I shoot with however, uses WWB in his stock STI Tru-sight (sp?) with no problems. I guess it depends on the gun and how it is set up.

Larry

My STI also will run Winchester WB or Remington factory or CCI Brass

factory loads as well as any other lead and FMJ that I can find to load at

1.125 all the way out to 1.180

Good Luck !

Edited by nm3gnr

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth...

The 5" FAT FREE gun Bennie made me is an SV BUT it ran thousands of rounds of REM/UMC 180 FMJ without any problems and shot it more accurately that some of my handloads. Was it the barrel/slide fit or ? His tuning? All I know is that when I got it back it ran great with 1.125" factory ammo!

Mick

I am thinking of going to a 2011 at some point over the winter in .40 for multigun use. At this point in time all I reload is 45ACP for SS/L10. My question is IF I buy a STI Edge, most likely from one of the vendors mentioned on these boards who tune them before shipping,, WILL IT RUN ON FACTORY AMMO? I might go a few months using factory stuff before I buy the conversion pieces for my 650 and figure out a load. I wonder if the OAL will matter in some kind of white box ammo and how factory ammo will function.

Nothing is for sure yet but Id like some info if anyone knows.

Thanks!

My, STI EAGLE, same as an EDGE except short dustcover and stirrup cut slide, runs on any 40 ammo I have tried in it. It has not had any function/reliability work done to it to enhance feeding. I shoot mostly reloads now, but have run several different flavors of factory JHP as well as WWB without any failures.

• 1 month later...

uhh I have been reloading 45 for so long I hadnt looked at prices of 40 ammo in a while. JEEZZZ its as much as 45 was a couple years ago :o

Im looking at Precision or maybe Wolf. Hell I made fun of guys who shot Wolf in the past BUT it may be how I go for now. :wacko:

We are not talking about "STI guns" here. We are discussing the STI Edge, that was designed for USPSA limited division competitors.

The STI Edge is mechanicaly the same as the Eagle or any other STI 2011. They just charge more the longer frame and not finishing the machine work on the slide. No nicer or better than any other 2011 pistol.--------Larry

We are not talking about "STI guns" here. We are discussing the STI Edge, that was designed for USPSA limited division competitors.

The Edge is designed to be a little heavier and give the impression that it recoils less than an Eagle or other standard weight gun.

Fat and heavy Edge equals slower "pulse." Nothing else changes.