Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Big Decision!

BEDELLCUSTOM

post-4731-1157772002.jpgpost-4731-1157771969.jpgpost-4731-1157771941.jpg[attac

ment=5833:attachment]

I've been riding Harleys for 25 years and when looking for a new Harley this year I strayed over to a Honda dealership and rode a new VTX1800 Neo-Retro model and bought it on the spot after the short test ride. I never thought I'd ride anything but a Harley but the power, styling and price just couldn't be beat. I still want another Harley but I'll be keeping this bike too. I added 3" Hard Chrome pipes, the Hypercharger, a new fuel injection management system to tune it to the pipes and hypercharger, footboards for the passenger and of course more chrome. oh yeah, did I mention I took it out for a ride with my buddy on his Harley Roadking with the Big Bore engine kit and other engine mods he had done and he couldn't keep me in his sights. what a shame since he's got $30,000 in his bike and I've only got about $15,000 in this one so far. OUCH!!!! :o

post-4731-1157771905.jpg

with the exception of my motocross racing and drag racing days my middle name is "SAFE". every accident I have ever had on the street was completely the other persons fault so believe me I am always on the alert for the next idiot driver that's not paying attention, on a street bike I am always on the defensive and you have to be all the time. ;)sometimes there is just no way to avoid it when someone turns in front of you or cuts you off. the most common way a car hits a bike or causes a bike/car accident is the driver of the car turns left in front of a bike and the biker can't stop or tries to make a maneuver to avoid the impact and crashes trying to miss the car.

Edited by BEDELLCUSTOM

I have been a Harley guy for the past 15 years my self, my wife now has her own as well. The only thing that would keep me from going to the other side :ph34r: would be resale value. I have yet to lose money on any bike that I have bought. My 93 springer I had for 7 years, put 20K miles on it and sold it for 1k more than I paid for it. Good luck trying that with the Honda. Have fun, be safe.

Tom

the most common way a car hits a bike or causes a bike/car accident is the driver of the car turns left in front of a bike and the biker can't stop or tries to make a maneuver to avoid the impact and crashes trying to miss the car.

yeah, Ask Ben Roethlisberger .............. B)

Dan I like the color on that bike. Sweeeeet!

In the last few years since Harley has increased it's production the resale value of the bikes in my area at least have gone down since there is a glut of Harleys on the market. when I sold my last Harley in the year 2000 I got almost what I payed for it but that was also when you had to wait to get the new model you wanted when now you can get anything you want without waiting, why would someone pay as much for as a used bike when they can buy new for the same price. at the dealer where I bought my Honda they have a half dozen or more Harleys they took on trade and the one example is the 2004 Heritage Softail that they have for sale that is in mint condition and low miles for under $13000 and that bike new just 2 years ago was around $18000 and this one has a bunch of extras that the previous owner added. I think the way the market is now that you will probably not get out of it what you put into it but I didn't buy the bike as an investment anyway, I bought it as an escape for me and the wife to get away from the business once in awhile and have some fun. next year she's getting a bike. :o I'm actually looking at another bike and it might be one of the Harleys down at the Honda dealer that were traded in and it might even be that Heritage, it's a nice two tone blue and white with bags,windshield,better seat,lots of extra chrome,Vance & Hines pipes, and more. Don't get me wrong, I still like the Harleys but you can't say that the Honda I bought doesn't kick ass and even before I added the extras it still would have smoked my buddys Roadking, that's just a fact. Whatever you decide to ride the main thing is have fun and be safe!!! ;)

V twin cruisers arean't about going fast...they are about easy riding, wind in your hair, having fun, seeing the sights...the lie on the tank super bikes are about going fast...uncomfortable to drive any distance but scalding fast....

Would not own a Harley, have a Ducati 800 and selling it and getting the naked

Ducati 1000...great machine, can even talk over the idle...not so with the HD's...lol

I have been a Honda guy for the last 17+ years. I currently own a 2003 Honda Gold Wing.

I get irritated at the guys who "think" the Honda Wing is a rice burner.... When in reality there are MORE American made parts on the Wing than there are on a Ultra Classic (all of which can be varified by the american made parts contents listed on the bikes,,,).

I do believe the VTX machine is MADE in Ohio, as are the Wings, Shadows etc..

No they are not just assembled here, they are actually manufactured here, with American hands.

Having said all that, the VTX took the place of my beloved Valkyrie which irritated me because I liked the looks of that speedy 6 cylinder motor. I wish they would have kept that bike around, but alas they didn't. The VTX is a very strong bike, and in typical Honda fashion, it'll last a lifetime if you do your part to do the minimum upkeep on the scooter.

I do like the looks of the Harley Ultra Classic's ('kuz I'm a tour guy myself), but when Harley decides to bring the bikes into the 21st century and give it some adequate power (without having to buy this kit or that kit to boost the HP) and give it liquid cooling, I think I'll stay in the Honda Gold Wing camp.

Good luck on that VTX. It is a nice ride and it will last you a long time.

yes, the cruisers are for cruisin' but I just like the fact that my big VTX cruiser can get out of it's own way with a light twist of the throttle and I only tap into it when I need it. Also I do like the liquid cooled engine.

just a note to TRP-PROFESSIONAL, I've also been looking at the Rune Valkyrie, it's the more sporty hi-performance looking cousin of the standard Valkyrie and there are some still available brand new and they run in that $26,000-$27,000 range , you just don't normally see them at the dealers but I made some calls and they are out there. ;)

I also like Trisha's comment. That's what it's all about! :D

Edited by BEDELLCUSTOM

Oh my,,,the Valkyrie RUNE. Now THERE is a mean machine. Not many of those made. You'd be making a statement with one of those under you.

What I would love to see Honda do is take the current 1800cc wing engine and put that in a stripped down frame. Can you say "airplane without wings?" WOW!!!

yes, the cruisers are for cruisin' but I just like the fact that my big VTX cruiser can get out of it's own way with a light twist of the throttle and I only tap into it when I need it. Also I do like the liquid cooled engine.

just a note to TRP-PROFESSIONAL, I've also been looking at the Rune Valkyrie, it's the more sporty hi-performance looking cousin of the standard Valkyrie and there are some still available brand new and they run in that $26,000-$27,000 range , you just don't normally see them at the dealers but I made some calls and they are out there. ;)

I also like Trisha's comment. That's what it's all about! :D

What I would love to see Honda do is take the current 1800cc wing engine and put that in a stripped down frame.

Amen! Don't think it's going to happen though. The Valkyrie wasn't a big seller for Honda because Americans like V-twins in the cruiser market (i.e. it's got to look and sound like a Harley.) I'm surprised they've been making the Rune as long as they have. The Valkyrie community has tried to hold out hope that the Rune is a temporary offering until a new standard Valk comes out. They sell VTXs about as fast as they make them though and Honda seems to be of the opinion that a regular Valk cruiser just isn't worth their while. Few folks can appreciate the odd looking flat six engine on a cruiser. I found the power and smoothness addicting and I'm not sure I could ever go back to a twin (although I have been eyeing some enduro styled bikes for those rough range roads lately!) Unless they bring back "The Dragon", as it's known in the Valk community, Honda just doesn't make anything else that interests me. :(

the Rune Valkyrie has an 1800cc, actually I think it's 1832cc. I saw one at a local cruise night a few weeks ago and got the interest in one. for the last couple years I've really wanted a Boss Hoss but have not wanted to part with more than $30,000 to get one and the worst thing is that at the same cruise night where I saw the Rune, I also saw in person for the first time a Boss Hoss with the 502 big block chevy motor in it, before then I had only been familiar with the small block version of the Boss Hoss.

How the hell can you keep a 502 UP??? don't stop that's for sure!

Dan beautiful bike.. Harleys are over priced, and underpowered. Now that they have saturated the market i see absolutely no reason to own one... myself i'm in love with a BMW cruiser.. so comfortable... and yes the 150 MPH speedo can be done with little effort :)

That honda is one sweet looking bike!

Dan... you forgot the windshield buddy hehehehe

the Boss Hoss is available as a trike but the one I am talking about is the 2 wheel motorcycle version, check out their website, these things are just insane!!

steve,

a windshield is nice for long rides but I just can't bring myself to put one on this bike, it changes the look of the bike too much. my wife and I rode out to our friends house yesterday on the shore of lake Erie. It was a bit nippy yesterday morning on the thruway at 75mph and 58 degrees so we took the longer way home at night. Yes a windshield would've been nice but I'll just grin and bear it. :wacko:

Edited by BEDELLCUSTOM