Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 For Limited?

steel1212

I'm pretty much a 1911 guy, but I also like glocks/xds. I was thinking of picking up a used 35 to run in limited 10 or limited. I would have to put a magwell on it and probably a new barrel but I'm wondering what all you guys have done and how much. Basically would it be worth it for me to get a g35 or just try to find a used limited 1911?

Edited by steel1212

You might want to consider purchasing a new or used Glock 35 (.40 S&W) if you decide to go the "Glock" way...

If you purchase a Glock 34 (9mm) you will be scored minor because the minimum bullet diameter for Limited and Limited-10 is .40 or 10mm. The only positive is that you should get a couple more rounds in your magazine than the other competitors that are shooting larger diameter bullets.

For what it is worth, I am considering purchasing a Glock 35 right now so that I can play in Limited and Limited-10. I currently shoot a Glock 34 in USPSA Production and I am very happy with the Glock 34 so it seems natural for me to get a Glock 35...

Good luck,

Cor

Glocks are all I compete with, so I might be a little biased here, but the 35 will definately hold its own in Limited and L10. Other than a magwell if you want one, the only mods I have made to my 35 is adding a Dawson FO front sight, using the Glock fixed factory rear, 3.5# connector, 4# striker spring, $0.25 trigger job, and just added Eric's TruGrip to it. I would say approximately $100-150 depending on what magwell you went with. Unless you reload, I wouldn't worry about a new barrel, all of mine with the factory part can outshoot me.

Glocks are all I compete with, so I might be a little biased here, but the 35 will definately hold its own in Limited and L10. Other than a magwell if you want one, the only mods I have made to my 35 is adding a Dawson FO front sight, using the Glock fixed factory rear, 3.5# connector, 4# striker spring, $0.25 trigger job, and just added Eric's TruGrip to it. I would say approximately $100-150 depending on what magwell you went with. Unless you reload, I wouldn't worry about a new barrel, all of mine with the factory part can outshoot me.

Yeah, I reload to maximize I what I can. I could probably get a load for the factory barrel that would be fine. Fiber optics, to me, are a given and I go so far as to want the adjustable FO rears as well.

Por que no?

Ltd, L-10, Production...what won't it do? IMO, only "must-haves" are replacement sights and TruGrip, sold by EricW. Well, and, for Limited you'll want magazine extensions....Add/subtract the rest as budget and taste dictate.

There are a zillion threads here about the G35 as a Limited gun.

Por que no?

Ltd, L-10, Production...what won't it do? IMO, only "must-haves" are replacement sights and TruGrip, sold by EricW. Well, and, for Limited you'll want magazine extensions....Add/subtract the rest as budget and taste dictate.

There are a zillion threads here about the G35 as a Limited gun.

Sorry I didn't mean to kick a dead horse. There is no need to defend what it can do I know what it can do I'm trying to see if it can do what I like lol. The main part of the glock that has kept me from competing with them is the trigger...how can I get it like a SA lol.

What drives me crazy is that I keep seeing people dump so much (money, time, energy) into putting all this stuff on their Glocks.

All too often, they then decide they need an STI to truly be competitive...so they start putting money toward that platform. Then they want to sell their glock and all the stuff they have put into it. That sure does make for expensive "used Glocks". ;)

Sights, grip tape, clean up the trigger (twenty-five cent trigger job). Learn good grip and stance. Aim.

What drives me crazy is that I keep seeing people dump so much (money, time, energy) into putting all this stuff on their Glocks.

All too often, they then decide they need an STI to truly be competitive...so they start putting money toward that platform. Then they want to sell their glock and all the stuff they have put into it. That sure does make for expensive "used Glocks". ;)

Sights, grip tape, clean up the trigger (twenty-five cent trigger job). Learn good grip and stance. Aim.

I suppose that would be me. :(

(Although I'm not planning on selling my G35 -- just its accessories, depending on how well I shoot an STI. Planning on using the G. for Production).

The problem is, IMO, once you *start* using the add-on's, it's hard to stop. Before I had the Dawson magwell on the G35, it felt cavernous compared to a single-stack 1911 w/no magwell. But now that I've added it, on the rare occasion that I've removed it, not only does the weight feel imbalanced, but the magazine openign suddenly seems awful tight.

Same, same with the tungsten guide rod. Necessary? No, but after 5k of major pf rounds, the gun feels funky w/out it in. Nothing that can't be unlearned, but...

I do agree that I see lots of high-$ used G35's out there, and knowing what I know now, would rather pay $400 for a lightly-used stock model, than $650 for one with a KKM barrel, sights, Lone Wolf this-and-that, etc.

Yep...I often see the trend of depending on the equipment, and not developing the skill sets. We all do it. Hard not to. That is the challenge.

There is some give and take. The Open gun shooters make a good arguement...that their equipment frees them up so that they can focus on other aspects of the game. There is truth to that.

The one's that never get back around to the learning of the skill sets...well, not only do they miss out on the surface, but they also miss out on the process and experience that come from that learning.

Yep...I often see the trend of depending on the equipment, and not developing the skill sets. We all do it. Hard not to. That is the challenge.

There is some give and take. The Open gun shooters make a good arguement...that their equipment frees them up so that they can focus on other aspects of the game. There is truth to that.

The one's that never get back around to the learning of the skill sets...well, not only do they miss out on the surface, but they also miss out on the process and experience that come from that learning.

That is why I asked. If I can find a good used G35 to play with and add the sights, tape, trigger work then great. If not I'm just going to stick with my 1911s. I mean if I get up to 1k into the glock I might as well stick to the plateform that I'm used to...I still probably get a nice G35 anyway............or a XD 5" in .40 :blink:

Edited by steel1212

I think the G24 shoots softer than the g35...a magwell and tungsten guide rod helps soften up the gun a bit..the trugrip tape really helps you hold on to it during recoil.

barrel and sights would be the first thing i would replace(barrel first!)..the rest you can change as needed/wanted

I personally like the weight of the magwell and tungsten guide rod.

yep, definetly a Vanek trigger.

And IMO the Grams basepad kits (+5), plus his tuning, is the best way to spend money on our Glock magazines. In my G20 I reliably & always get 20 rounds of .40 in the mag and am never scared to have 21 with one in the pipe. Always works. I don't know how many rounds a G35 hi-cap mag holds, but I can only assume you could get at least 20 rounds in them with one of Grams +5 kits.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

You don't really believe anyone can be competitive in Limited with this type of set-up do you? :D

I am going to have to eat my words as Dave Sevigny Just won the Limited Nationals using a G35 with no magwell.

He earned this win the way he deserved by beating out Chris Tilly, Rob Lathem and the rest of the best limited shooters in the world to give Glock the National Limited championship title.

It is truly the indian and not the arrow.

• 2 weeks later...
I am going to have to eat my words as Dave Sevigny Just won the Limited Nationals using a G35 with no magwell.

He earned this win the way he deserved by beating out Chris Tilly, Rob Lathem and the rest of the best limited shooters in the world to give Glock the National Limited championship title.

It is truly the indian and not the arrow.

His G35 has the mag opening flaired out vs putting a mag well on it from what I hear. His production mag changes are so fast, I don't think it makes much difference, just a touch of insurance.

I'm not a big Glock shooter, but I "set up" two yesterday (a 22 and 35) for a Glock match this weekend (I shoot mostly SVI's and XD's) after dealing with the stock trigger poor poor sights for a few practices.

I went with the Heine sights (because I could get them next day, I would go with Warren/Dawson if I could have gotten them through Brownells), an ISMI captured guid rod with a 13# spring, Ghost trigger bar, Wolff competion spring set. The 35 had Dawon sights and a Brass well, and the 22 had a Dawson aluminum well and the mags all have the Dawson pads so they hold 19 with no tweaking.

Ok, all that to say, both the guns shoot well enough to go as far as you would want IMO. They aren't as sexy or finished as my SVI's but they shoot fine. Adjut your shoulders a bit and they point straight too. It took about 50 rounds of out of off the shelf ammo to get the hang of the new 2.25 lb trigger and how it resets, but they were very shootable, and by the end of the practice with the fixed-up guns we were shooting our normal times/points on drills.

A long winded way to say I agree with Flex. The simple upgrades I did didn't cost much, and the most time to fix them was spent fitting the Ghost part. They did make the guns more user friendly for a couple guys used to good guns. I dont even know if the mag wells make a difference but since they were on there already I left them on.

My ONLY serious gripe with the Glock is that the mags don't fall fast enough on reloads and I'm waiting on the falling mag, but I'll fix that tonight ;)

"Have tools will modify" :)

Edited by Loves2Shoot