Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training My Eyes To "snap", getting past a speed limit?

bgary

I shot this drill today.

Some lessons learned...

1. Shoot A's I had 3 seconds in penalities raising my average from 4.73 to 5.24 sec.

2. Keep it smooth.

3. Stay focused on front sight.

4. My draw needs a lot of work averaging 1.4 seconds <_< ( saving .4 sec over 6 strings would be significant).

5. The more I shot it the smoother and faster the times were.

Nice drill to work in the practice sessions. Waiting for Part 2.

Edited by rwmagnus

I shot this drill today.

Some lessons learned...

3. Stay focused on front sight.

Were you staying on the front sight while transitioning between targets? (Riding the front sight?)

Unfortunatelt yes the early strings (old habits die hard). I think that is when I dropped the shots 9:00 just outside the "A" zone as I didn't have a hard specific spot to drive the gun to. My faster runs were snapping my eyes to the next target then to the sight.

With just one shot per target it was easy to fall back to the old habit of riding the front sight to the next target especially since they were so close to each other.

After a few false starts I managed to get to the range and run this drill.

I re read the description when I got home and definately didn't do part 1 as described.

I didn't shoot with an accuracy bias, but insted just let things happen.

The result was visual impatience, but i really enjoyed what i did and in hindsight think that relying on my index wasn't such a bad thing, if only I'd spent more time refining it with practice!

I will go back and shoot part 1 again, but wanted to post in case Brian thought we'd all overlooked this one.

Times varied from 3.72 to 2.99 with plenty of points squandered in between.

The best run came after I spent a few moments visulaising the exact spot I intended hitting on each target. The run was memorable because it felt like the slowest but was actuallya 3.22 for 40 out of 45 points.

P.D.

- for a total of 9 shots.

Crap...I just realized that we were doing the drill with only two passes...6 shots...the last time out. :wacko: (Oh, well...I can mentally add in three more transitions.)

I'll try this tonight using a rifle.

133rt

I tried this drill yesterday and found out how horribly slow I am. It took about five seconds for the nine shots, with a draw of 1.3 or so. This was with iron sights. I guess I can "blame" it all on my age (I'm 69). Looking forward to part 2.

I shot the drill six times using my Sig 551 (rifle) but on A4 targets (see the rifle rulebook). My average after six runs was 8.22 secs and two c's in total.

Brian, would you pm me part two? I feel I should be able to get 30% off or something similar.

Tia, 133rt

• 1 year later...

btw: i laid off shooting a couple of weeks. I went back to the drill. My first pass was terrible. I just keep doing it, over and over again, staying true the drill. My accuracy improved and my times naturally got faster. I did not try to push the speed, it just came naturally.

I love this drill, it goes well witht the shooting cycle. I will probably put another hundred rounds into this drill before the next match.

I see some went left to right back to left then right again, like T1 - T2- T3 - T2- T1 - T2 -T3 -T2 - T1

Should you just go T1 - T2 - T3 - T1 - T2 - T3 - T1 - T2 - T3 , is that what Brian originally intended?

And you just add 0.5 for every non-A wheter it be a B,C or D to your time?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Going to try this one thursday. All year I've been having trouble seeing my sights, and doing to much point shooting. Can't wait to see my average. I'll try it with my production and my limited gun just to see what if any difference there is.

Looking forward to the part 2 also. I think I know what it will say. but I'd rather here it from the masters mouth, or fingers as it were. :)

I'd like to try this drill, but my only practice area is at an indoor range. Any suggestions, or am I out of luck?

For what it's worth, I have access to a 24x36 plotter and can draw custom target layouts. 36" is also about the maximum width of the lanes at my range.

I laid out a miniature version of this drill that would be shot at about 9'. The upper A zone of each target is about 1/2" tall. Unfortunately, I don't think I can shoot this drill as my lines of fire would cross over into other lanes.

I am really glad that this thread was revived. I am really focused on improving my transitions and bringing the front sight into focus as I do. I shot this Sunday night for the first time. I think it is a great drill.

I just received Part II so I can confirm Brian still has it. Can't wait to try that out next. I think it addresses exactly what I am trying to do right now in my training.

Eric

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is Really Old.....I have read every post, but have not become involved yet. I hope to get some targets ready and find some range time so I can play along.

Brian has held up his end for a few years now, by providing Part 2. I can only hope he will give me the same info in a few days when I get through with Part 1.

Based on all your comments, I can not not do this....it's got to be a super exercise to attract all this interest.

Thabnks, I will be along soon in hops of getting part 2. !!! @@@