Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Own A Reloading Manual?

Harmon

Seems there are alot of questions getting posted recently about fairly basic problems a handloader may encounter. Crimp, overall length, resizing issues, ect...

The first piece of reloading equipment you should buy is a reloading manual...Thousands of answers of questions most people havent asked yet are in there...Read and read often.

you will be the guy who isn't having trouble with his ammo at the matches.

I personally own 10 different reloading manuals and use them often.

Read up, be safe and take care!

Edited by Harmon

I have a bunch of current manuals and also manuals going back to the '50's. The old manuals aren't much good for use with current powders, but they are interesting reading. Some of the pre-chrono/limited pressure testing data is a LOT stronger than what we have today. There is a lot of knowledge contained in the better loading manuals, one cannot have too many.

I own several manuals, but don't bother with them much anymore as I know them pretty darned well. I do refer to them for charge weight info occasionally and even though loading technique is something I don't need info from the book about much anymore, having lotsa' reference material readily available is a good thing ;-)

None of the above. :rolleyes: I have a couple manuals that I started with, since then I have used on-line sources. I have not changed my basic loads in several years so I see no reason for new manuals. (Unless they've changed something and not told me) :o

It is foolish to attempt reloading without completely understanding what you are doing, and why.

I have not seen much of that kind of basic info on the net. I have several reloading manuals that do cover the subject.

I have at least 5, probably more. The loads in the old ones (1970 Speer & 1973 Hornady) have hotter loads than the current manuals.

Seldom use them unless I am starting to load a new caliber or need case demensions on something.

My favorite is probably the lyman manual, they are not afraid to load all sorts of powders and bullets in their book.

They show a 40 caliber clays load that makes major(with a lead bullet)

sierra shows another(clays 40 w/jacketed 180 grain bullet) that makes major but they admit to not pressure testing their loads with any modern equipment so, i believe they should not be use(or used with extreme caution)

Ill re-read the books now and then and learn something that i have not seen or may have forgotten.

Harmon

I have several as well (about ten), including several handgun caliber specific manuals. They are interesting background reading on the calibers I use, are useful for basic reloading info and for recipes that I use as reference points for my action pistol loads, which seen never to have the component/powder combinations I am trying out.

I haven't looked at any of them for quite a while. That being said, I don't load for other than 9mm, .40 S&W and .44 spl/mag, and haven't for years. Any new caliber, and any load for my pet chamberings that is radically different from what I am familiar with is going to be carefully researched and cautiously approached. That means using established, reputable sources of information. Published falls into that category. The forums here I consider pretty reliable, but most folks posting and reading understand that it is info to be used at your own risk, and that it may fall outside of SAAMI specifications for the chambering being loaded. That may be true also for Lyman, Vihtavouri and Midway, among others (at least for the use at your own risk part), but, being published works, I figure that they will stick to SAAMI specs and are as safe as can be expected given the components that might be used, the chambers being fired out of, and the reloader doing the assembly.

In a nutshell. published info is safe and reputable, but may not be exactly what you are trying to load. Thus, regardless of the source of information, proceed with caution.

Kevin C

Edited by kevin c

It is foolish to attempt reloading without completely understanding what you are doing, and WHY.

I have not seen much of that kind of basic info on the net. I have several reloading manuals that do cover the subject.

Understanding why a change in a certain parameter produces the result it does is the key to safely working up a load that isn't found in any reloading manual. You'll never find any of my .40 limited loads or my wifes .38 super open load in any manual out there. In a sense we're all wildcatting loads that are designed for specific firearms, and knowing what result we'll get from changing anything within a load keeps us as safe as can be.

I've got 4 manuals on the bench right now and constantly borrow different ones from friends because the information can never hurt. I've also picked the brains of one kind gentleman incessantly (every time he sees me he thinks, "crap, here comes the kid with a million questions again" :D ) whose been reloading for more than 50 years, wildcatter to the core, that has really helped me understand. I say buy all the manuals you can afford!