Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Or 550?

I've read all the docs, and the forum, but I'm getting some contradictory information. Some say the 550 is all the press that anyone needs, others say the 650 is a dream.

I intend to shoot 20k/year or so in .40 (making a run at becoming a good shooter) and won't be switching calibers. I may eventually load 9mm and play in production, but that's well down the road.

I want to minimize time spent in the basement, and maximize safety. As best I can tell, the 650 is probably the way to go, with the casefeeder and powder check system. I'm aware that there is no substitute for caution, but every little bit helps.

So, will the 650's higher output be offset by its complexity? Can I run it without the casefeeder and still get a good rate of production? Or is the 550 all I'll ever need?

H.

550's are just fine, especially with the addition of the case feeder. But it sound to me like you should just step up to the 650.

The complexity issue only lasts for the first month or so. Then it will seem like second nature to you.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

Running a 650 without the casefeeder is tough - the insert-an-empty-case station is at the back, behind the operating handle.

Having used both (a 550 and a 650), I recommend the 650, primarily because of the automated indexing. It saves one hand-motion on ever operation of the handle, and makes it simpler to load lots. Everything else (case feeder, powder check) can in some fashion be done on either press.

B

Me and my buddy Dave never reloaded before, but we're both engineers. We chose the 650 with all the bells and whistles and are very glad we did. We each have hand-me-down single stage presses for R&D, and rifle loads.

If you will reload only 40 cal at 20K per year, then the 650 is a no-brainer. The payback for you will be something less than 6 months. Component prices are skyrocketing, so it may be even less than that.

BTW, we would not be so happy if we had not had Brian's help with the order. Thanks, Brian!

Edited by MacEntyre

I upgraded straight from a RockChucker to a 650. I'd used other presses in the past where you had to feed the cases and I didn't want to deal with that. My requirement was also one that I needed/wanted 5 stations. The 650 was my choice nearly 10 years ago and I've stuck with it. I load between 15 and 30 thousand rounds a year in 40, 9mm, and 38 spl. I will probably eventually get the makings for 223 rem, but for now I'm sticking with pistol calibers. Yes, you can get a case feeder for a 550, but I like the auto-index feature of the 650 and I feel more secure with it.

Vince

If it's in the budget, 650 for sure!

Started with a Rock Chucker, moved to Square Deal, then 550 and finally 650. Never looked back. The 550 sits idol just in case the 650 croaks at an inopportune time.

I bought a used 650 from a co-worker a couple months ago. I had never reloaded before buying this press. After a couple weeks of minor frustration (mainly from doing a caliber conversion without reading the manual) I figured out the 650 and it works great now. I think the 650 "complexity" issue is slightly overblown.

I just bought a 650 from Brian this past weekend. I can hardly wait until it arrives. I'll post my first impressions after I've had a chance to set it up and play with it for a while. Unfortunately, that will probably be a couple of weeks from now due to work travel commitments.

650 without a doubt. the volume of shooting we do in USPSA they are so very smooth the 550 is nice i reloaded on one for years but so much easier when you just have to pull crank and insert bullet.

What i noticed was less elbow/arm fatigue beign the number one concern.. a less hurried/smoother motion in reloading. not to mention it's much faster. far less chance of a double charge... and never sitting there.. did i index when the phone rang or not?

Me and my buddy Dave never reloaded before, but we're both engineers.

Give me a break.

The engineers from where I work don't know a screw driver from a drill. :angry:

You can load all the ammunition you need from a SDB or a 550B.

If time is of the essence (which it always is) get the 650.

But a 1050 would be extra special! :P

What ever you do be conservative with Your Money. :)

FM

Running a 650 without the casefeeder is tough - the insert-an-empty-case station is at the back, behind the operating handle.

Having used both (a 550 and a 650), I recommend the 650, primarily because of the automated indexing. It saves one hand-motion on ever operation of the handle, and makes it simpler to load lots. Everything else (case feeder, powder check) can in some fashion be done on either press.

B

I have the 650 without the case feeder, but I have the case feed tube attached and can drop about 15-20 cases down it and crank away. If my roommate wants to shoot my reloads, he is my case feeder. :) Keep the tube full, and there are no problems.

The 650 was my first press, and it is not that difficult at all.

I started reloading about a year and a half ago. I first learned on a friend's 550. Matt Burkett gave me the best advice. He said to buy as much as you can afford. If you end up selling it later, you'll probably recover at least 80% of its cost. I bought a 1050 and never have regretted it.

Just a month ago, I loaded about 1300 round in about 2 days to get ready for the Steel Challenge. If you plan to load a large quantity, you might want to get a few other things. I ended up buying a repair kit for my press (just in case you break something in the middle of the night, before a match), an electronic powder scale, and the automatic primer tube filler. There are several auto primer fillers, but I went with the Dillon. It's built to protect you just in case a primer detonates accidentally. I'm a big chicken, so I wear a full face shield when I load. Don't forget the case guage.

Good luck!

Itchy

Edited by itchy

I started reloading about a year and a half ago. I first learned on a friend's 550. Matt Burkett gave me the best advice. He said to buy as much as you can afford. If you end up selling it later, you'll probably recover at least 80% of its cost. I bought a 1050 and never have regretted it.

Just a month ago, I loaded about 1300 round in about 2 days to get ready for the Steel Challenge. If you plan to load a large quantity, you might want to get a few other things. I ended up buying a repair kit for my press (just in case you break something in the middle of the night, before a match), an electronic powder scale, and the automatic primer tube filler. There are several auto primer fillers, but I went with the Dillon. It's built to protect you just in case a primer detonates accidentally. I'm a big chicken, so I wear a full face shield when I load. Don't forget the case guage.

Good luck!

Itchy

Not chicken at all, primers are not to be underestimated. I might get myself a face shield, come to think of it.

H.

I would go with the 650 with case feeder, if funds permit.

Being a pharmacist I have this genetic inclination to weigh things. :P I really can appreciate "grains" as a unit of measure. So every 20 or so rounds I check the powder. I always throw out the first and second powder drop, as they never seem to be correct. The guy who trained me told me to always look inside the case at the powder as you seat the bullet. Make sure it looks correct. If it's a double charge, you'll notice. Here are some other words of wisdom:

Check to make sure your primers are seating correctly, every 20 or so rounds.

(I hate it when I load rounds without primers)

Load about a 100 and then box them. Make sure you did everything properly. Repeat this every 100 or so. So, if you think you made a squib or double charge, you don't have to throw out the entire tray of 800 rounds you just loaded.

Protect your eyes at all costs (and your face if you are good looking). They can't do eyeball transplants yet, only lenses. Sorry I got a little off topic.

Itchy

If you get the 650, never, never, never load anything on a 1050. It's worth the difference in initial cost. But if you never get your hands on one you will be quite happy with the 650. :)

I have one of each. The 650 came first and I load 40 and 45 on it. The 1050 came with the open gun in 38 SC. I actually like to shoot limited more than open but I'd much rather make bullets with the 1050.