Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please Give A Recommendation

One of the guys at the dojo tonite asked me what 22 pistol would be a good buy for plinking. I thought of a Ruger "Mark" model but remembered hearing from a few folks that it was a bother to take apart and put back together (hence the top selling assembly video). Since I don't plink, I told him that rather than make a half-a$$ed guess, I'd consult the forum oracle. This would be his first gun purchase.

So in your NTBHO, which 22lr is best for plinking?

The criteria include: easy to clean/maintain/disassemble, decent factory sites, decent factory trigger pull. I don't want to recommend a gun that'll he'll have to turn around and take to a pistol smith to tune for obvious reasons. Oh yes, midrange in price - he doesn't want to have to finance the purchase!

Thanks!

The Ruger MKIII is the way to go. You will hardly ever have to disassemble it completely to clean it. The bbl can be swabbed with the bolt open if you are careful of the muzzle crown.

These have all the rest of the features you want at a good price point. There is nothing that will shoot as well for less than twice the price.

Get a long bbl as the sight radius makes a big difference in shooting it well. The Target and Competition models have the best feature set for you. The Competition is a long bull bbl and the Target model is a long standard weight bbl.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FA-Family.js...&variation=

I have had great luck with a Browining Buckmark. Many configurations to choose from, a little cheaper than the Ruger, and much easier to clean and maintain.

My nephew has burned at least 20k round through it with only a recoil spring assembly change. ($5)

Hard to beat.

BTW there is very little that is more entertaining than loading 22 mags all day while the little guy shoots holes in a case of hot WalMart soda cans. He can't get enough of the exploding spray.

Edited by smokshwn

Ruger or Buckmark. I own both, the Ruger is more realiable and I could proabably drive my car over it, burry it in sand, not ever clean it, and it will still mostly work. Mine is an older MkII. My Buckmark is a pain in the ass, sometimes it gets weak strikes and it only works well if you feed it hot ammo. My Buckmark is non-standard, most work great.

So my Ruger works and my Buckmark sucks. Yet I prefer the Buckmark. It has great ergonomics, the trigger rocks, and its balance is wonderfull. I wouldn't depend on it for any critical function but as a plinking gun it rocks, plus it teaches you failure drills :)

My first firearm I owned, was a Ruger MKII. Still have it. Probably has 20 or 30,000 rounds through it. Broke an extractor several years ago. That's it. It has morphed into an open gun with OKO optics, Volquartzen grips and trigger group. Still fun to shoot.

Also in the safe is a Taurus 94 9 shot revolver. The trigger is horrible double action. Heavy and gritty. Single action it isn't half bad. The trigger itself has a rough surface that left blood blisters on the trigger finger if shot double action a lot. Fixed it with a Dremel polishing wheel topped with clear fingernail polish. It is what it is, an inexpensive beater. I do not recommend this gun as a first firearm.

Go with a Ruger MKII/III. Can't go wrong. Oh and tell your friend that 22 handguns are very picky about what ammo they like. Buy a box of everything he can get his hands on and shoot it for groups off a rest. In the beginning, buy the bulk pack stuff to gain skill. Later, don't be afraid to spend $3 or $4 a box if your serious about accuracy.

Edited by Hank Ellis

I cut my gun-shootin' teeth on the Ruger Mark II Government Model. Heavy and accurate. Durable and good quality. I clean it superficially quite frequently then have my gunsmith go through it complete couple of times a year. I just don't happen to have the video for field-stripping it. It IS a little different than most guns, but do you want quality and accuracy...? I did. I won league action trophies with it. I finaly sold my older one and bought a sweet newer one (barely used) and it's even better.

Yes, Ruger Mark II. Definintely. The Mark III isn't bad, but I like the weight in the older Government model bull barrel types. B)

Ruger , either Mk ? or 22-45. Browning Buckmark. Sig Trailside. For small hands,

look at the Beretta Neos. My wife, who has TINY hands, likes hers. Personally, if I were

looking for another 22 plinker to add to the stable, I would look for an older High

Standard.

Going against the grain a bit.

No argument with the Ruger's being fine, workable 22's. And I think the older High Standards are wonderful, mine shoots great.

But for a plinking/learning to shoot/easy to handle 22, I think the way to go is a

Smith & Wesson 617. It is their 10-shot DA Revolver built on the K frame. It has a 4" or 6" barrel and no magazines to lose, bend, or step on.

If someone is going to shoot a lot of 22 and have a lot of fun the 617 is the way to go. You don't have to mess with loading those little magazines.

I would recommend the Ruger MkII as an entry level with potential to customize if wanted down the road. There's a video available that shows in pain staking, real time detail the disassembly & reassembly.

Ruger , either Mk ? or 22-45. Browning Buckmark. Sig Trailside. For small hands,

look at the Beretta Neos. My wife, who has TINY hands, likes hers. Personally, if I were

looking for another 22 plinker to add to the stable, I would look for an older High

Standard.

Not to mudsling, but I had a fixed sight sig trailside in the shorter barrel and that this must have been a lemon, cause it would only feed minimags or velocitators, and it would post buckshot looking groups.

The Beretta Neos is pretty good and their is nothing wrong with a Buckmark

I have an older High Standard Super Trophmatic from the 60's, and I can say with confidence that it is the most accurate hand gun that I own. With match ammo, it will out shoot my Kimber Super Match, my Colt Gold Cup, my Spring NM... that thing is ridiculous. But when you find a nice one, they are pricey.

I just got my wife (who has small hands) a Walter P22. In about 2 hours she shoot up 500 rounds she has almost too much fun with it.

Don't need to worry about small hands. This guy is a 6'2" judo monster.

Thanks for the advice. I'll mention the different models and he can test drive them at the local indoor range to see which one he likes best.

Edited by carinab

I'll throw in another vote for the Browning Buckmark. My guns hardly ever get cleaned, and after eight years it still runs and runs. Carol's probably got 12-15 thousand rounds through it by now......

That said, there's got to be a reason for the Ruger's popularity....

Another vote for the browning buckmark. Good ergos and it's been reliable. I had a mark 2 ruger long ago and happily put many bricks of ammo through it. The browning grip angle fits better (for me). The grip on my mk2 was starting to get loose from the receiver after repeated disassembly. I'm not very nice to the buckmark when it comes cleaning, but it keeps working well.