Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If Money Was Not A Factor...

Malak

I know this sounds a bit like a daydream, but if money was not a factor, what you (the highly knowledgeable shooters on brianenos.com) build/buy for the perfect 3gun rifle?

I currently have a RRA midlength, with EOtech 511, midlength gas system, 16 inch barrel, YHM freefloat quadrail handguard that weighs like 3 pounds and no brake (smith vortex flash hider). It is very reliable, but not all that great for 3gun.

I am looking to buy all of my 3gun guns before my new wife wants a baby, and then my gun budget transforms into a diaper budget.

I currently have Benny Hill building me a custom STI 6inch in 40cal, and I have a benneli shotgun (M1) that Benny worked on and now need a good rifle.

I Would like suggestions on what your dream rifle would be: custom built or off the shelf and advice on optics/ backup iron etc.

I don't want to have to do this more than once. Mightaswell drop the cash for the best now and not have to do redo after redo (which normally comes out to more money, because I end up with the 'best' when it is all said and done anyways).

Thanks in advanced for the advice.

IF money was no object and I wanted the PERFECT 3 gun rifle, a full-on JP Rifles CTR-02 with the stock of your choice and all the features they recommend would be my choice. I would use the ACE, or a modified A2 type stock rather than the thumbhole style one.

If you wanted to shoot irons, I would have an extension FS block put on the bbl to get the front sight right behind the muzzle and extend the sight radius. This would be a huge advantage on an iron sight rifle.

I would choose 1:8 twist and a 20"bbl but an 18 in 1:8 would not be a bad choice either (unless you shoot iron sights, see above note on sight radius). Lightweight profile with the JP BC muzzle brake would also be my druthers on an all round rifle.

If money was no object, I would get two uppers and set one up with the stainless LMOS system and an Eotech or other reflex type sight, maybe make it an 18". The other upper would get the alloy LMOS, ACOG scope and the JP handguard secondary iron sight system and would definitely be a 20" bbl.

The rest of my cash would go into a truckload of SMK 69 & 77's to load up and burn through it ;-)

Same place your pistol and shotgun came from. Dpms lwr and upper, Benny installed JP trigger, carbon fiber tube, sst Dpms 1/8 barrel either a 20 or 18 with Benny comp. Meopta glass. You can spend a lot more money, you just cant get more rifle.-------Larry

in all seriousness......like i could be serious!!!!!

the perfect 3 gun rifle would be one that would put your fired rounds on target. not elsewhere

as has been proven, all you really need is a 2 minute rifle, so put your extra money into ammo.

the jp ctr-02 is pretty cool though.

my 1/2 cents worth...........trapr

Not that money isn't a object. I got my JP CTR-02 last Thursday and just finished breaking in the barrel today. Without question I don't feel there is a better 3 gun rifle out than the JP no matter what the cost. I have an Eotech 512 on a riser and a Simmons 1.5-5 with the Pro Diamond reticle on another riser so I can change optics without having to rezero.

As has been stated on this web site many times the Simmons works as well as some scopes that are extremely expensive.

I went all out and had the rifle done in the Presentation finish with the polished flats and a red heat sink under the handguard. It is really sharp looking.

I called Benny and asked him to build a rifle for me. B)

Same place your pistol and shotgun came from. Dpms lwr and upper, Benny installed JP trigger, carbon fiber tube, sst Dpms 1/8 barrel either a 20 or 18 with Benny comp. Meopta glass. You can spend a lot more money, you just cant get more rifle.-------Larry

Hey! That sounds like my rifle! :D

I would take the money and build the perfect 3-gun scope...then sell it to all of you and use the proceeds to open my private ammunition factory, range, and hire a Swedish nanny. Then I'd practice all day, every day, and after several years..I might be good. :D If not, I'd sell everything and acquire Kurt's dark beer recipe and go public.

Erik

I decided to attempt a build and with the help of a good armorer, I built a rifle that is dead on accurate and reliable. I used a DPMS upper and lower since they give to the sport, a white oak armament 20 inch stainless 1:8 barrel that is fluted under the handguard for weight reduction. A stainless F2 comp along with the JP trigger and JP stainless LMOS keep the rifle rock steady when shooting targets at longer ranges. The AR is topped off with a Simmons pro diamond scope with a rock river mount. The only modification I have made is wrapping the DPMS aluminum free float tube with 550 paracord for insulation. The handguard mods came in handy at the recent Arkansas 3 gun match and the extreme heat. Alot of the other shooters commented that it looked pretty cool also. The whole rifle cost me about $900 to build.

money is an object????? we're shooters... whats money got to do with anything? along with food? a home? cars? life in general? the problem I have is time for shooting.......

I have my guns, 14 4/2" Cav arms w/CQT, STI .40 Eagle, and my Benilli M1.

and just got my heavy metal class guns ready to go,

Seems that there are two camps in this situtation, the Benny camp and the JP camp, and it looks like the grass is pretty green on both sides of this fence.

I have talked with Benny about the AR's, and his stuff is definitely nice, just wanted to make sure I was not getting tunnel vision and ignoring any of my options.

I have also spoke with JP at this year's shot show in Vegas, and their stuff is definitely top-notch. I had they make me a long ragne rifle a few years back off of a remmy 700, and that this is unreal.

*Another facet to this conversation: would your ultimate AR be as light as possible, or does the weight reduction lose function after a certain point? <_<

Ultra light weight is fine WHEN there is a good muzzle brake aboard, otherwise that suckah' is gonna' dance on ya'

The general opinion is a heavy rifle holds great, but a light rifle transitions great. Pick an extreme, or straddle the fence. I went light bbl with a JP Tank Brake (Open Division), it swings nice and fast and sits dead still during recoil.

I tend to agree with George, I think the middle of the road approach is best. While it's obvious that a rifle can be too heavy, they can also be too light. Having a really lightweight rifle will solve some problems, but it will create new ones.

When it comes to AR's, purchase a good barrel, use good optics (Tactical or Open), and use high quality ammo. The rest will work itself out.

Erik

I personally don't buy into the theory that light rifles transition better. I prefer middle of the road to heavy. To ME (not necessarily anyone else), light rifles feel "whippy," perhaps this is because I started with a heavy M1A in highpower.

As to the original question, I would normally say get a CTR-02 personally hand polished by John if money was no object but since you have 2 out of the 3 from Bennie, get one from him and put a Schmidt and Bender 1.1.-4X with a circle/crosshair reticle on it.

AR-10 rebarreled and tuned for .243. First I'd do some research on the best twist rate for long-range accuracy with my favorite .243 load (most .243 factory barrels are a compromise between deer hunting and varminteering). My other choice would be 308-7 or 308-6.5 (.308 necked down to 7mm or 6.5mm). I believe 308-7 has some factory ammo and brass available, and 308-6.5 is a wildcat.

It would be worth looking into similar projects with an M-1 or M-14. There's nothing wrong with 7.62x39 and .308, but 7.62x39 w/ 54 gr bullets will make major in some rifles but not others, while .308 is a bit much for IPSC major.

If money was not a factor, I would buy a rack grade rifle, put a good trigger on it, get a truckload of ammo and build my own shooting range with a couple dozen MGM flashers, Larue's, etc. scattered out 600 yards.

It ain't the rifle....

Before I even read this thread, I was thinking what EricW wrote, but with this twist...

...then poney up the cash for classes with Tony Holmes, Bennie Cooley, Kurt Miller, Jerry Miculk, Bruce Piatt or El Prez (Mike V.)