Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Price Of Svi Mags

timamal

My New open guns is 9mm. I don't want to deal with spacers. Call up Svi 91 dollars for a 140mm and 134 for a 170mm plus shipping and a 3 percent credit card fee. Man isn't the ban over. The price of stuff one day is going to kill this sport. Or least limited and open .

The ban is over, but the cartel has not been busted up. I'd check with SPS. Complete 140mm mags are like $50, 170's $55. Still pricey considering what they are, but a lot more realistic.

(They hold one more too) ;)

Let's just say that Sandy's slightly proud of his stuff.... ;)

DP - looking forward to a "long term use" report on your SPS mags - curious if they're "hard use" gear or not...

FWIW - my SV mags can all be shot prone w/ no issues in my gun. The STIs can't... The SV tubes seem to be higher quality, as well - at least they're finished and polished. The STIs, not so much. But, is that worth the price difference??? Doesn't seem like it to me... but... what do I know?

I'll be the first to admit that the Tanfoglio mags don't hold as many rounds as the SVI/STI/SPS equivalent, but mine are $20. If they can make them and make a profit for $20 then someone, somewhere is making a killing.

If you are spending $90+ on a magazine then it had better work out of the box without tuning.

I think there is a discontinuity in magazine production efficiencies-- I bet TF mags are pretty much stamped out by automatic matchines, while I know STI and SV mags still have quite a bit of hand labor in them (USA hand labor to boot)

I have no idea if that justifies $90, but they do last forever and you only need five.

If you are spending $90+ on a magazine then it had better work out of the box without tuning.

I don't know about buying a complete mag. (I live in a 20 round state :angry: ) The tubes that I bought last year wouldn't feed worth a sh!t and the 170mm tube wouldn't even fit in the gun. All of them went out for tunig. Don't even get me started about inventory.

I am still convinced that the mag issue is one of the biggest forces behind Glock Limited guns. $20 mags that run with no tuning. The very idea of spending $90 per mag and the even remote possibility it will need to be tuned is BS. Is STI and SV have so much wonderful US hand labor, why is anyone alive making money tuning them? Sounds to me like if they are hand built, that shouldnt be nessecary.

They charge that much, because they can.

Dont forget that gun companies are still companies, and they will take your dollar anyway they can, just the same as the rest of the world.

Just a point of order - you won't pay that much for a brand new STI mag... You can buy complete 140mm mags from Chuck for $54. Tubes alone are a little bit less. It approaches $90 quickly when you start throwing in upgraded follower, spring, basepad... but add that cost onto the SV mag, as well....

You can do most/all of the tuning yourself, if required. All 5 of my mags (2 STI, 3 SV) worked fine with no tuning. I did a few things just to increase margin for error (polishing, feed lips, etc).

SVI/STI magazines are a racket for sure! However the problem is purely market driven. Tooling up to make comparable mags would cost too much for a competitor to stay in business in the relatively small market that is practical shooting.

Why haven't the SVI/STI tubes been updated to the new legal size so we don't need expensive basepads? Where are the Caspian 140mm .40 mags? Where are the Glock 140mm and 170mm magazine tubes?

I'd say the answer to all of the above is that the practical shooting market is so small that a business can't afford to make these items happen.

I am still convinced that the mag issue is one of the biggest forces behind Glock Limited guns. $20 mags that run with no tuning.

You've got a point, but the mags are more like $50 once you get competitive base pads on them. Apples to Apples, it's still cheaper, but why doesn't Glock blow mold some 140 legal 20 rounders for $25?

you're right of course, just like they sell all they can make without decent sites or a little beavertail to cure slide bite, etc, etc.....

No reason to improve the product if you're moving inventory. :rolleyes:

I guess you can apply that same principle to SV. Last I heard they were running a 6-9 month wait on new guns. I have read numerous times that they were out-of-stock on mag bodies so they must be moving them too.

Edited by L9X25

If Glock *did* make a 140mm mag, I wonder if they'd change their basepad? I've always found 'em a b*tch to get off...Probably just get the Dawson, anyway, though as you say: About $50 -- $15.99 for the hi-cap, new, + $29.95 for the extended pad.

But it's also nice getting a handful of old, used, 10-round mags for a couple bucks each for practice in dry-firing. I could care less if they hit the concrete garage floor, or....

I think all double stacks mags are fairly high except for the Glock.

Para mags are up to $85 + shipping with a Dawson extension.

I'm figuring we are simply a very small market segment. If folks were buying STI, SV, or Para mags at the rate they are buying Glock mags, then the price might actually come down.

Ibut why doesn't Glock blow mold some 140 legal 20 rounders for $25?

Prior to 1994, Glock voluntarily restricted sales of its 33 round 9mm lamaginex to LEO/Govt only - even though it was perfectly legal to sell to civilians. I don't know if they have relaxed that restriction in the post 2004 era.

I'm not sure exactly why Glock did that, since they have always been one of the strongest supporters of shooting sports and civilian ownership.

My New open guns is 9mm. I don't want to deal with spacers. Call up Svi 91 dollars for a 140mm and 134 for a 170mm plus shipping and a 3 percent credit card fee. Man isn't the ban over. The price of stuff one day is going to kill this sport. Or least limited and open .

I take it your old gun was a 38s or such. Why not at least try your old mags before you buy. WE use STI super mags for 9mm all the time without spacers.------Larry

Edited by lkytx