Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Type Of Uspsa Member Are You?

Sestock

Our club has run several larger matches and I have worked at several Area and Section matches, but since those are in the past, I did not indicate that I work majors. I feel that this answer. "I help out at and shoot at several clubs" is a more fitting answers for my current status.

Jim

I let my membership expire, but I have only shot three matches in the last 12 months (including last week). However, that'll change in a few. Mildly disgruntled with USPSA, but I can either complain to the BOD, do nothing or shoot. I'll find a nice balance.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

I don't have a local club and drive for 2 hours to shoot. I sometimes help set up and always help break down. Since I don't have a local club it is harder to get involved in the bigger matches.

Neal in AZ

Started in 1978, became an SC, worked big matches (home and away), local matches, not so local matches, helped several clubs and burnt out big time. Dropped out in the mid '90's and even quit shooting for a while.

Now, I help at a couple of clubs and will work a big match if it's close enough. Can't get ramped up to spend nights away though.

I don't belong to a local club.

I belong to USPSA and mostly shoot major matches.

This because my job requires me to work out of state and travel most of the time.

I work 7 days / per week and get 1 weekend per month off, sometimes two weekends if I'm lucky.

In spite of this I try to shoot at least one major per month during IPSC season (Feb - Oct)

even if I have to sacrifice vacation time to do it.

When I show up at a match it ususally involves traveling hundreds of miles, get in and shoot, and hustle back to be prepared to work on Monday.

There is little time to build or tear down stages.

I would be interested in the following poll for Match Directors.

Choose the answer that best applies to your match.

[ ] If someone is not in a position to help produce the match I want them to show up anyway and support us with participation, entry fees and dollars spent with our sponsors.

[ ] If someone is not in a position to help, you're a slacker taking advantage of the rest of us. Stay home, you're not welcome here.

Tls

I don't belong to a local club.

I belong to USPSA and mostly shoot major matches.

This because my job requires me to work out of state and travel most of the time.

I work 7 days / per week and get 1 weekend per month off, sometimes two weekends if I'm lucky.

In spite of this I try to shoot at least one major per month during IPSC season (Feb - Oct)

even if I have to sacrifice vacation time to do it.

When I show up at a match it ususally involves traveling hundreds of miles, get in and shoot, and hustle back to be prepared to work on Monday.

There is little time to build or tear down stages.

I would be interested in the following poll for Match Directors.

Choose the answer that best applies to your match.

[ ] If someone is not in a position to help produce the match I want them to show up anyway and support us with participation, entry fees and dollars spent with our sponsors.

[ ] If someone is not in a position to help, you're a slacker taking advantage of the rest of us. Stay home, you're not welcome here.

Tls

If you cannot stay late or show up early we can understand that. Your schedule sounds like a real b***h.

When you are at a match, do you RO if the match has embedded RO's? Do you set steel? tape? paint, police brass?

If you do, fine by me, come on out and shoot. If you however show-up, shoot and scoot and do absolutely as little as possible to help your squad, then you probably should step back and take a look at yourself. You may find that even though you can't work big matches and you can't get there to build or tear down, that there are many things you can do. Maybe you have contacts that can be tapped for prize tables? Maybe you have legislative contacts? Almost everyone has something they can contribute. Worst case, if you are buying from the vendors and sending in your check to shoot, we'll take your money.

Besides, your life may change and you'll find one day you have the time to work a match or two. We'd all like to think that when that day comes, you'll step up to the plate.

BTW, this is not directed at tlshores, but rather at everyone that finds themselves in a similar situation.

Jim

Jim,

To answer your questions, yes, when I'm at a match I do paste, set steel, paint, etc.

I find that most everbody does a pretty good job at that.

In most matches I go to, I just about get trampled going down range to reset the stage.

Sometimes late in the day when people are starting to get really tired things begin to slack off.

I am not an RO but would certainly like to get certified.

Unfortunately there have been no level one classes that were available to me in the last year.

The only one I know of was in Atlanta this spring (250 miles away) and on a weekend I had to work.

I will keep a close eye on the NROI website and jump in when the opportunity presents itself.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

I help on a local level by setting up stages at 2 or 3 local clubs, I do stats and update the web page for my home club, send in classifiers to USPSA, and I've helped out RO'ing at a couple of section matches and at the IRC. I also was "nominated" section treasurer (thanks Dave! you know who you are ;)).

Vince

I am an RO and help run whatever squad I'm in. I try to arrive early at every local match I attend to help set up at least one stage. I always stay and help break down the last stage I shoot. Thats the way most of the clubs around here work it. All must help so that the match directors don't get burned out.

I have yet to work a major match.

I loose my keys. *(Ha Ha, beat you to it Nik!)

I used to be very active in putting on matches. I spent many a Saturday setting up 6-8 stage matches (a couple of times by myself or with one other person to help). A dear lady in the Atlanta area (GAPEACH) took on the additional responsibilities to run a local club when the former MD had to leave suddenly, even though she already ran another of our local clubs. I committed at that time to help her and put several years into that promise. I've also worked as a CRO at 4 State matches and 3 Area matches since getting involved in 2000, designed a few of the stages and built a great many more. We've had enough large matches in the immediate vicinity that I've only gone out of state to work a major match once -- 2004 Area 6 in Charleston, SC.

Fast-forward several years to where I recently hit burn out. I feel like warm-over shit because of it and think I'm a slacker for not doing it any more, but I had to pull back from it. As this happened only about 6 weeks ago I'm still overcome with the guilt but I know I need to just get over it and get back to shooting.

I still work as an imbedded RO at our local matches and will always help with tear-down, but that hasn't stopped me from feeling like a slug.

Edited by ima45dv8

Don't feel bad ima45dv8, it happens. The key is making sure you help train those coming up behind you. When I burnt out and left, there were enough others to not even cause a ripple. Which actually made me feel pretty good.

When you can help now, consider doing it by imparting your knowledge and wisdom to the inexperienced. You can help your club a great deal with just that.

Sometimes the hardest thing is to "Do Nothing", or to let others do it. But it's better to do that than to become a surly pain to others.

I'm a CRO and travel to large matches to RO when they'll have me. I also travel to major matches just to shoot. I usually try to RO at least 2 majors a year and then shoot the rest.

Locally, I belong to one club and lately have been THE embedded RO for them. I've also designed stages and gone to help setup (only twice though :) During ALL matches, I tape and/or RO. I rarely set up steel though cause it hurts my arm too bad.

I believe I'm the norm and the poll has pretty much proven that too (at least here in our Enosverse - the rest of the world be damned!)

I haven't shot any big matches yet. So far I've shot twice at one club and once at another.

I joined USPSA after my first two matches, I want to get classified. I shot yesterday and went out saturday to help set up. When I pick up a new hobby I hit it HARD.

I figured, best way to meet the people that run it is to help set up (with my 10 month old strapped to my chest, I was "babysitting"). I'll do the same at the other club (I joined that club, but so far only shot it once). During the match I fight over pasties, set steel and rarely take a break. I feel self conscience while I'm reloading mags because I "should" be helping paste targets (after I shoot).

If there is a 12 step process for this addiction, I don't want it. I have 11 months until our next state match, which I hope to be a part of.

I have a mini USPSA paper target on my fridge and my wife laughs at me while I bounce magazines off the couch (dry fire). She even found me video taping my dry fire sessions and thought I was absolutely bonkers. "I just needed to see if I had any wasted motion" I reassured her. I air gun stuff at work, when I'm not practicing actual mag changes (have guns at work).

My name is Shaun, and I am an addict.

I run squads at every club level match and started working majors last year.

I don't actually keep a tally but it's safe to say I spend more time building stages and running squads than I do shooting.

Edited by Gary Johnson

I haven't shot any big matches yet. So far I've shot twice at one club and once at another.

I joined USPSA after my first two matches, I want to get classified. I shot yesterday and went out saturday to help set up. When I pick up a new hobby I hit it HARD.

I figured, best way to meet the people that run it is to help set up (with my 10 month old strapped to my chest, I was "babysitting"). I'll do the same at the other club (I joined that club, but so far only shot it once). During the match I fight over pasties, set steel and rarely take a break. I feel self conscience while I'm reloading mags because I "should" be helping paste targets (after I shoot).

If there is a 12 step process for this addiction, I don't want it. I have 11 months until our next state match, which I hope to be a part of.

I have a mini USPSA paper target on my fridge and my wife laughs at me while I bounce magazines off the couch (dry fire). She even found me video taping my dry fire sessions and thought I was absolutely bonkers. "I just needed to see if I had any wasted motion" I reassured her. I air gun stuff at work, when I'm not practicing actual mag changes (have guns at work).

My name is Shaun, and I am an addict.

There is no Cure, and it will only get worse. Your only hope is to someday "not" feel guilty for doing what you need to do for your own performance.

Until that day, Shoot a Revolver and load up all of your moon clips for the day at home and then you won't have to feel guilty loading Mags! :D It works for me.

Let's see... how to answer this question...

Well, I help the local club as much as possible thru Saturday set-up... Sunday RO'ing a squad... and handling all the stats for the club. I miss a few matches a year though, as I am off working either Area, or Nationals matches.

I wish I had more time to help with stage design, but probably not to be. I also wish I was shooting more (everyone was killing me telling me how much fun they had shooting my stage at the MG Nats. While I was glad everyone enjoyed it, I was dying to let the shotgun rip, followed by those close rifle targets)... :(

I have been a match director for four years, stats for 8 years, and now just a shooter. I show up early for our local match to help set up. ( my old club )

I have worked the nationals since 1992. Area matches also and the sectional matches.

It is a good way to see just how other shooters attack a stage, and meet people from around the great U S.