Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vic Pickett Spring Kits

underlug

Vic must be a distant cousin to P.T. Barnum if he's convincing people to pay $40 or $45 for a frickin' revolver spring. ;)

C'mon now, you revolver guys oughta know better. ;)

(edited to add smilies so my post didn't sound so mean-spirited.)

Edited by Carmoney

Vic must be a distant cousin to P.T. Barnum if he's convincing people to pay $40 or $45 for a frickin' revolver spring.

C'mon now, you revolver guys oughta know better.

Between your "simply bend the spring" method and Vic's, I will go with Vic's - a lot cheaper, the learning curve isn't measured in days or weeks or longer, and the number of bunged up springs is zero. Hacking on springs to "tune" them can get expensive.

Edited by Viggen

• 2 years later...

I have been learning to "do up" my own guns. did my first one with Vics springs and it made a huge difference. tried to use stock springs and wolf springs and a few other options.... its much easier and worth my time to throw in Vics springs and be very close to done. bottom out the strain screw and never look back. my 625 with APEX hammer, Vics springs and my polish work will light off winchester primers at 5.5-5.25 pounds with 100% reliability. I know $40 is a lot for some springs but the time saved is worth every penny. if i had more time to get to the range and play with springs i am sure i could do the same for $15, but i dont. just installing Vics springs makes a stock gun very competitive.... as far as trigger pull.... my $.02

Scott

Hell- Why not just send it to Carmoney and have the

whole package done! :rolleyes:

.... or you could just do it yourself.......it's so easy a lawyer caveman can do it

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

(added smilies so my post didn't sound so mean-spirited ;) )

Couple quick points:

(1) A bunch of old discussions are being dredged up recently, including this one. This particular thread had been dormant for nearly three years. I like Vic. But I still don't think there's any reason to pay that much money for a spring kit.

(2) Many shooters enjoy working on their own revolvers. This is something I have encouraged from day one, and I have always been willing to help those folks out with tips and advice, both here on the Revolver forum and through emails and PMs.

(3) For those who may be curious about the quality or value of the revolver work I perform, customer feedback is posted here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=Carmoney

Edited by Carmoney

I like and use Vic's springs in my gun.

I have also seen and liked some of Mikes gunwork, and heard great reports from his customers.

I guess that's why they sell blue and red cars, because not everyone likes the same stuff.

Go ahead and buy a set......if you don't like them send them to me, and I will pay for them.

I didn't want to jump Steelshooter's thread, but, I would like to know how to obtain Pickett spring kits and how much they cost. Thank you

Mike,

Some people still pay for convenience. ;)

I've played with both Carmoneys' "tuning" the spring and using Vic's springs. I have better results with Vics' kits and a whole lot less time "Carmonkeying" around with bending the spring. :goof: Time is money, and I don't have either. <_<

Hop

No spring kit will be completely satisfactory without some amount of tuning to that particular gun. Not Vic's, not Jerry's, not Wolff, not anybody's. If you're serious about tuning the pull right down to the reliable side of the "edge," there is no kit that drops in, at any price. Every revolver is an individual.

No spring kit will be completely satisfactory without some amount of tuning to that particular gun. Not Vic's, not Jerry's, not Wolff, not anybody's. If you're serious about tuning the pull right down to the reliable side of the "edge," there is no kit that drops in, at any price. Every revolver is an individual.

And that is why I go to Randy's shop, kiss MAJOR butt, and come away with the single best action work I have ever felt (on 2 identical guns). :bow: to Randy. (Closest thing I could find to simluate MAJOR butt kissing)

well that goes without saying. APEX is the BEST. Randy is also a great guy to deal with and will answer silly question after silly question that i ask him =) i need to ask him how he makes them rebound springs too =) maybe if i send him some moonclip shaped doughnuts he will enlighten me more....and i need some APEX t-shirts and dump pouch.... i feel left out

Scott

Yes, Randy is a truly great revolversmith. And more than anybody else out there working today, Randy Lee deserves credit for truly revolutionizing the fully-tuned super-light competition revolver action.

Looking back over the course of modern handgun competition, it seems pretty clear that most of what we do to revolvers today was actually discovered back in the '70s--what you might call the golden age of PPC shooting. But then those secrets were gradually lost over the generation which followed, as the 1911-platform autoloader became so crushingly dominant in practical handgun competition throughout the '80s and '90s. Most of what passed for a revolver action job during that time-frame was more of an afterthought performed on what was seen as a "side event gun"--a little stoning here, a little buffing there, and call it good. When the post-millenium resurgence of interest in competitive revolver shooting got underway, Randy Lee was the one who did the most to re-introduce us to many of those semi-forgotten concepts.

We have all benefitted from Randy's efforts. He really did raise the bar.

:rolleyes:

Sorta curious to know/understand what makes Vic Pickett's spring kit or Randy Lee's

trigger work better /so good.

Does Randy do something Mike C or say myself doesnt.

Ive been getting some rally good results with revolver trigger jobs, would like to know

a better way =allways wiloling to learn!!!

Jim/Pa

Sailors :devil::goof:

Don't feel neglected Mike. He isn't taking any new work until he can clear his backlog. That beats having your gun sit in a shop for months on end, waiting to advance in the que.

Call him again, and ask to be put on the list. :cheers: