Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fav-or-ite Cof Designs

GmanCdp

12 rd COF's I like the best because all divisions have to perform 1 reload...ALL divisions. The problem I see, and I have been a MD at 3 of the last 4 Florida state matches, is that most course designers forget about the 2 revolver divisions....I end up modifying their COFs to make them compliant.

Plus, as I sometimes also shoot a revolver, it is fun to see how you stack up against other divisions in these COFs.....

Personally, I think anyone who designs a COF should try shooting the design in his head with 10 rd capacities, 8 rd capacities and 6 rd capacities to be sure that is fair, not necessarily equal, but fair for everyone.

Frank

12 rd COF's I like the best because all divisions have to perform 1 reload...ALL divisions. The problem I see, and I have been a MD at 3 of the last 4 Florida state matches, is that most course designers forget about the 2 revolver divisions....I end up modifying their COFs to make them compliant.

Plus, as I sometimes also shoot a revolver, it is fun to see how you stack up against other divisions in these COFs.....

Personally, I think anyone who designs a COF should try shooting the design in his head with 10 rd capacities, 8 rd capacities and 6 rd capacities to be sure that is fair, not necessarily equal, but fair for everyone.

Frank

Compliant to what? Do they create impossible courses (Say, activate a drop turner, then shoot it 6 times)?

I do agree that 12 round courses allow folks to check across divisions, and a few should be used, but seems like lately I've seen enough to where I see one and say .."not another!"

Good advice on mentally going thru, but I'll not toss a stage because it's harder or easier, as we shoot against others in our division.

About the only thing I think about for the Limited 6 shooters is the reload points. I make sure there is some kind of cover available for them. 90% of the stages I design are 17 or 18 rounders.

that's what I am talking about.....make sure on where your COF design has everybody if shot clean....leaving anybody in the open while empty?

I don't mean to have ALL 12 rd COF's, what I mean is I like them for the comparison purposes. In our State match a couple of weeks ago we only had 1stage out of 8 that was 12 rds....I just voted what I like and why.

As far as shooting, give me any legal stage within the spirit and rationale, tell me what I need to do and lets LAMR....

Frank

that's what I am talking about.....make sure on where your COF design has everybody if shot clean....leaving anybody in the open while empty?

I don't mean to have ALL 12 rd COF's, what I mean is I like them for the comparison purposes. In our State match a couple of weeks ago we only had 1stage out of 8 that was 12 rds....I just voted what I like and why.

As far as shooting, give me any legal stage within the spirit and rationale, tell me what I need to do and lets LAMR....

Frank

heh, I think I need to shoot more revolver :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

well we just finished up the 2006 Mississippi State this past weekend..i took everyones advise and did a run and gun state match..we had 10 stages with no limited or standards built into the match..round count was around 161 rounds and only 2 static stages,1 was a 15rnd drop to the knees and the other was a 18 rnd hand cuff stage sh/wh with 9 targets..had a total of 100 shooters,including SO's and was lucky enough to have 2 area cordinators and 5 match directors from other clubs shoot this match..guys ..it makes a big difference running a match when you are lucky enough to have experienced

SO's help out..i think thats biggest asset to have to make it run smooth,along with a wide range area so that shooters don't bunch up as bad....still happened to us..we had 1 drop turner , 3 swingers and 8 twisters B) ..the twisters still get the best of the best...next year when you get ready to design and set up your state match..it might be worth a try and do a large rnd count match...i know it worked for us this year <_<

What the heck is a run 'n gun, 18-round CoF? That is, what CoF that conforms to IDPA rules and course design rationale?

At our state match, we always try to have one "circus stage", with swingers, turners, clamshells, etc., and a high round count, but it still has cover, tactical priority, etc.

Our bread-and butter CoF is the shooter starting out in the open, exposed to one threat. At the signal, engage that target while moving to cover, usually laterally or backing up, then engage further threats from cover. Usually 8-12 rounds. It can be a carjack stage, an ATM stage, a mugging stage; just about whatever scenario you want. Three targets, six targets, whatever.

R&G is a stage that can have more than one way to shoot it. I love them. Makes you think. Any stage I design will have a minimum of 17 rounds. I don't care for low round count stages. Folks come to shoot. Never heard anyone say "That match just sucked. I had to shoot way too many rounds".

Audrey and I liked the Miss. Match. That is she liked it except for the one stage that cost her High Lady. How did Billy V. drop 32 points on Stage 8? That was the kneel and shoot stage.

BTW she has picked out the recipient for next year's Sand Bagger Trophy. Let's see he missed moving up to CDP Master Class by .07 sec.

R&G is a stage that can have more than one way to shoot it. I love them. Makes you think. Any stage I design will have a minimum of 17 rounds. I don't care for low round count stages. Folks come to shoot. Never heard anyone say "That match just sucked. I had to shoot way too many rounds".

Audrey and I liked the Miss. Match. That is she liked it except for the one stage that cost her High Lady. How did Billy V. drop 32 points on Stage 8? That was the kneel and shoot stage.

BTW she has picked out the recipient for next year's Sand Bagger Trophy. Let's see he missed moving up to CDP Master Class by .07 sec.

How did Billy V. drop 32 points on Stage 8? That was the kneel and shoot stage.

i think thats when you were walking past that stage..it was the vibes... :ph34r:

actually B.V. had his 4wheeler turn over about a month ago...and instead of waiting on other riders,he hemanned it up and pulled a shoulder muscle out of joint.. :o at times his shoulder will drop to a point and lock out the feeling...actually his raw time was real fast..

i think the ftn and points got him...we replaced the 2x4 twice on that stage..

and Audrey...the rules for the trophy cup are: if you have a Ma class card you'er safe..if you got moved up at a state match in a 12 month period you're safe...if the MD knows you and says you deserve it ...then your not safe :P:P or if the MD justs want to have fun messin with the women,with the husbands approval..then you're not safe :lol:

Edited by GmanCdp

#2 is an oxymoron statement, there is no freestyle in IDPA....LOL all of it is pretty well coreographed....

Yes; the creativity is generally in the mind of the course designer, not the shooter. Could we get some examples of a scenario CoF that has multiple ways to shoot it? I assume we're not talking about shooting around one side of a barricade rather than another, but one in which the shooter can take a number of "paths" to the same end?

#2 is an oxymoron statement, there is no freestyle in IDPA....LOL all of it is pretty well coreographed....

Yes; the creativity is generally in the mind of the course designer, not the shooter. Could we get some examples of a scenario CoF that has multiple ways to shoot it? I assume we're not talking about shooting around one side of a barricade rather than another, but one in which the shooter can take a number of "paths" to the same end?

added stages... i just like to give shooters options on how to shoot a stage...only 2 static stages this year.....stage 2 had alot of FTN's on it due to the sh/wh transitions from targets..

priority PE's were huge on stage 10 and on stage 4..some shooters just get to pumped up to notice what's really going on once the buzzer goes off....we've all BTDT...i'm sure

post-4535-1163716915.jpg

post-4535-1163716931.jpg

post-4535-1163716975.jpg

post-4535-1163716999.jpg

post-4535-1163717320.jpg

post-4535-1163717350.jpg

post-4535-1163717577.jpg

Edited by GmanCdp

RickB

For COFs that allow a shooter choices of paths... a commmon set up is either right to left or left to right. Having two starting points (or more) and letting the shooter "pick his poison" is an easy way to mix it up..... especially when there are turners etc.

Another alternative is allowing shooters the option of static shots from cover or shooting on the move.

IMO the very best stages in IDPA should require no more than a one minute walk through. They should make sense and flow naturally without being a mind maze of mandatory actions to remember or gadgets to play with.

In one of the state matches in the mid-west last year almost half of the stages featured either getting your gun out of a locked safe or drawer or taking off a gun lock..... and 90% of the stages featured mandatory crap like - - -

"the first two targets are two the the body and one to the head.... then move to position 2 and shoot the next targets two to the head..... then move to the third location and shoot each target 3 times strong hand only but only after you pick up a briefcase etc. etc."

The entire match was a set up for a locksmith with a photographic memory... and it had very little to do with measuring shooting skills. One of the country's top shooters tanked a stage because a dresser drawer stuck with his gun inside. When he jerked it free... his mag fell in the sand and the gun obviously didn't react well to being filled with dirt.

That's just pure bull.

One of the country's top shooters tanked a stage because a dresser drawer stuck with his gun inside. When he jerked it free... his mag fell in the sand and the gun obviously didn't react well to being filled with dirt.

Hi Mark,

I think I remember that stage. If it's the one you're talking about, the gun was inside a drawer with a cable lock on the gun. I had a hell of a time getting the lock off quickly. In fact, this was the stage that prompted me to start taking notes on the lessons I've learned at matches. The lesson I learned from that match was to take the key straight to the lock. Picking the gun up first was a bad mistake. Bad things happened to me on that stage. Luckily, I didn't drop anything in the sand. At a local match, I did drop my gun in the sand. I was adjusting my pants and the gun (in its holster) slid off my belt. It hit the sandy ground at 9.8 m/s2. It's amazing- there was sand everywhere inside the gun. Thank god for backup guns!!

• 4 weeks later...

I do like the run 'n' gun stages with multiple firing points because they really reward the people with decent movement skills. Having said that, I also absolutely love standards. I know a lot of people hate them, but they really separate the men from the boys. At the 2006 Washington State IDPA Championships, there were 12 stages, two of them standards (one SHO/WHO, one 30 yard Limited Vickers El Prez). Bliss.