Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Quick Note On The 80 Second Challenge At The 2006 Sc

MBaneACP

<_< Cool I am not second rate = more like third rate, my goal is to shoot within 10% of my practice times. = If I can do that I can scratch at 100 seconds. :D

I used to run a 50 second 1/4 mile with out much trouble ... but that did not mean I could run a 4 min mile.

Best of luck to all the 'Players' going for the !80!

I think its great the Cash is in for the Big guns at Steel Challenge :huh: I will just cheer as they run past me.

i heard that this year there will be no shoot off..

this pissed a lot of shooter that i know and i'm not a grand master but

i always enter the SC challenge so i may qualify for top 25.

i guess the days are over and count me in for not giong to this competition any more..

Yeah, I'm bummed about the no-shootoffs too. I liked those, even when we got spanked by Jerry & Todd.

I think 80 is going to be tough. I'm about .25 off the big-boys pace on a lot of the stages and I can barely hang a 2.50 on Accelerator every so often. If that holds and the winning score is 2.25's, then they'll have to shoot under 71 on the rest of the match.

I had nothing to do with the decision to no longer do the shoot-off, although I fully understand it.

We NEVER cover shoot-offs, because we feel it confuses the viewer. With any filmed competition, what you try to do is give the viewers an emotional attachment to the competitors, sort of a vested interest in who wins. In practical shooting, the shoot-off isn't really a shoot-off in the sense that it's typically used in sports; rather, it's a whole new match that uses the main match as a selection criteria.

So who's the "winner" — the person who wins the main match or the person who wins the "shoot-off" match? Television sports doesn't do ambiguity very well...that's why the person at the head of the field in a NASCAR race is declared the one and only winner and the two SuperBowl teams don't get together at the end of the 4th quarter for a field-goal kicking contest.

I suspect that as in most other sports, if shooting wants to grow the matches will bifurcate into television matches and non-television matches. Of course, I don't actually know half of what I claim to!

Michael B

Edited by MBaneACP

True. Watching shoot-offs on a video screen is boring...

But, that doesn't mean it's not fun as hell. Not to mention the motivation factor it gives to the second tier of shooters (as shred just alluded to)

i guess the days are over and count me in for not giong to this competition any more..

I'm dissapointed too that the shootoffs got axed, don't forget though that the main reason to shoot is the match itself. Shootoffs are fun but what happens the day before is what i care about. Hope you reconsider.

I am actually surprised that no one got the cash last year, there were at least 5 people who could have shot under 72 five out of six tries . It's amazing how poorly everyone shot ( imho)

• 1 month later...
michael-better get that $30K ready-we had two guys do it in 80 this weekend, and one with a limited gun.

got your attention now-seriously, frank cruz and jj shot 7 of the 8 stages in 80 and change, jj with a limited gun. just can't see all 8 in under 80. especially since the 8th stage last weekend was pendulum.

Last month, at a local match, I finally met T. Jarrett. I watched him shoot half of the match, and he talked with us a good bit.

I asked about the difficulty of breaking 80sec. He said that several of them were well under in practice. His belief was that if a bunch of them could come out of the first stage feeling good and without anyone blowing out, several people will break 80 sec.

It was so cool to meet him. We were standing around wondering how to approach him and he walks over and starts making conversation with all of us. I was near speechless.

It's posted on my blog:

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2006/07/po...-pondering.html

Rock on, and see you in lovely Piru!

Michael B

Want to impress us? Have the "sponsors" actually award the cash to the winner(s), instead of dangling it just out of reach and then continually changing the parameters so that it's never actually paid out.

It's posted on my blog:

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2006/07/po...-pondering.html

Rock on, and see you in lovely Piru!

Michael B

Want to impress us? Have the "sponsors" actually award the cash to the winner(s), instead of dangling it just out of reach and then continually changing the parameters so that it's never actually paid out.

I agree. Set the standard and live up to it.

It was so cool to meet him. We were standing around wondering how to approach him and he walks over and starts making conversation with all of us. I was near speechless.

First time I met him was at the 05 Area 8 match, he was standing there looking at the posted scores from the Friday shoot and I went up and asked him how he did, he told me and then 25 minutes worth of suggestions and help going through the match book and what to look for, great guy, I would love to take a class from him.

The check should have been written out to KC. His total time was 84.31 seconds with a 15.3 on Five to Go. I think the going rate for that stage was 10 to 11.5 seconds. We'll all be cheering for him next year!! I'm sure he'll do it sooner or later.

Itchy

80 seconds is not unobtainable. KC was on track to take the money and crashed on 5 to Go. It will take someone shooting a very good match (not a flawless match). I don't think anyone on the SS would say they shot a good match this year. Everyone had to eat a bad run or two somewhere in the match.

The goal should be difficult, that makes the prize that much more special. A competitor should not be able to trash one stage and still take home the big dollars. The prize money will raise the level of competition until someone wins it.

Just think if USPSA gave away $700 for every stage win like SC does. Don't you think people would practice a little more?

The prize money will raise the level of competition until someone wins it.

It will be interesting to see if the parameters stay the same for next year.

With and 82 and change finish *with* a train wreck, you can be 98% sure it won't.