Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"sighting Aid"

DogmaDog

Hey all,

I'm working on my RO review exam. One question poses:

"A competitor is walking through a CoF during the inspection period. He's loading magazines while inspecting the course. Is this allowed?"

Rule 8.7.4 says he can't use any "sighting aid" other than bare hands during the walk through.

My interpretation is that the magazine isn't a "sighting aid" unless the competitor is holding it up between his eyes and the target (not likely when filling it). Therefore, loading mags during the walk through is allowed.

Am I right?

Thanks for your help,

DogmaDog

Well they COULD. They could also eat a candy bar and use that as a sighting aid. They could carry a bottle of water so they don't pass out, they could maybe carry a roll of tape, and they COULD aim with those too. However the rule books says nothing about COULD, but unless they are sighting whatever is in their hands can not be considered a sighting aid. Heck I could use a piece of brass, so is brassing now against the rules?

I am an RO, though a fresh one, and I'd say objects become sighting aids only when you are actually using them as sighting aids, otherwise no one is going to ever tape or brass.

DD,

How I would rule that if it came to me and how you need to answer it to get it right on the test might be two different things. ;)

8.7.4 Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the

whole or part of an imitation or replica firearm, any part of a real

firearm including any accessories thereof etc.), except for their

own hands, while conducting their inspection (“walkthrough”) of

a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per

occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

Actually .. this brings up an interesting issue .. Flex quoted 8.7.4 and it says

while conducting their inspection (“walkthrough”) of

a course of fire.

Does that mean that I can use a mag as a sighting aid while I'm seating in my folding chair airgunning the stage from behind the line while someone else is shooting?

Does that mean that I can use a mag as a sighting aid while I'm seating in my folding chair airgunning the stage from behind the line while someone else is shooting?

I would love to hear the answer to this question ..................

Well my 2 cents is you can load magazines anywhere on the range with the exception of a safety area. The question states he is loading magazines, not using it as a sighting device. My ink pen would say ......, but then what do I know?

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

Well my 2 cents is you can load magazines anywhere on the range with the exception of a safety area. The question states he is loading magazines, not using it as a sighting device. My ink pen would say ......, but then what do I know?

Gary

In the past few years, I've gotten picky about the semantics of at least one question on the RO recertification exams I've been sent. I've invariably been scored wrong on the question by whomever grades these things ---- but when I've bounced the specific question and my answer of an RMI or two, I've invariably been told that I answered correctly, picking up on the purposeful ambiguity of the question. Yeah, right ---- that's why those answers always come back as incorrect. Me thinks that someone should copy-edit the recertification exams.......

I will freely admit that some of the test questions and rules for that matter are not worded in the clearest language. I know my degrees are not in english, so I can't be much help. One of the problems is that wording a rule that does not leave creative interpreation is difficult indeed. The other problem is reading too much into a question. I tell my students to read them in the simplest context they can. All too often though they come up with some convoluted reasoning that leads them to an incorrect answer.

Remember in a volunteer organization, you get what you pay for :)

Gary

yes it is alowed as long as he is just loading.

now all of us know that you don't load a mag at eye level....

edited to make sense

Edited by Dream

My understanding is that this rule was ade becasue some A_H was doing a walk-through with a C-more (or similar) mounted on a handle and some other A_H thought he should be allowed to walk-through with an Airsoft!

Think about being down range and seeing som A_H pointing, what from 20 yards away looks like, a gun at you!

I htink that just maybe the rules committee went a little overboard banning holding a mag in your hand, but then again we do have some really, how should we put this, dim bulbs in the chandiler.

Jim Norman

Cool B) a new secret club... Club of the -Sighting Rings- = one side of the ring has a front sight on it , with it rolled in normaly - Untill! presto chango the ring rotates and you have your sight ring.

For us dot snobs we have always used a spot on our glasses as a shight aid = thats why in the rain we do so :blink: Good

B)

I don't want my name on this one

My take on this is, um, complicated, since I wrote most of that particular exam. But, I will say that the rule is specific in what it prohibits.

:ph34r:

As for the validity of the rule, or whether it makes sense, or whether we needed it, well, I'm not going to argue politics here. Sometimes the simplest answer is NO, instead of No, except for...

Benny Hill used to make a "Walk Through Stick" that was actually pretty cool--I have one and used it often--it was a machined aluminum cylinder, solid (no holes), with the end turned down to whatever caliber you shot, so it fit in your magazine. It had a notch rear sight, and your choice of red or green FO front sight. I had a few pointed at me--they didn't resemble a real gun, so there was no big "fear factor" involved, but maybe that was just me.

Troy

Remember in a volunteer organization, you get what you pay for :)

Gary

I'm not bitter about it ---- I just think we can do better as an organization. I may regret this ---- but I'll volunteer to take/answer and proofread all the NROI recertification exams, if anyone would like me to.

My take on this is, um, complicated, since I wrote most of that particular exam. But, I will say that the rule is specific in what it prohibits.

:ph34r:

Troy

That's why I thought it was really funny, after you and I discussed the last one, with you describing my answer as correct, that it came back marked incorrect.....

Seriously, if anyone wants or needs help with making the questions clearer, I'll be happy to.