Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"sighting Aid"

DogmaDog

My understanding is that this rule was ade becasue some A_H was doing a walk-through with a C-more (or similar) mounted on a handle and some other A_H thought he should be allowed to walk-through with an Airsoft!

Think about being down range and seeing som A_H pointing, what from 20 yards away looks like, a gun at you!

I htink that just maybe the rules committee went a little overboard banning holding a mag in your hand, but then again we do have some really, how should we put this, dim bulbs in the chandiler.

Jim Norman

Dim bulbs? That's quite insulting, but at least they know how to spell.

<_<

Hey Chuck,

Actually I can spell reasonably well, I even understand basic grammar, however I can't type real well and I do seem to be in need of a couple new keyboards. Certain keys seem to be problematic.

So in interest of fairness, I will resubmit my post spell checked and grammar checked.

Here for those that type better than I, is a corrected copy of my post. BTW, I still think that certain people are dim bulbs and maybe shouldn't be allowed to play our game. Using an Airsoft as a walk-through aid, or frankly any sighting system that remotely resembles a firearm is not the brightest idea.

That in mind however, what next, I wear a black glove with white or red "Very Distinctive" stitching on it, held just so I can use the stitches as sights during my walk-though, will gloves be banned during a walk-through? Seriously, loading a mag whilst walking the COF is OK, but if I inadvertently hold it up, I get a procedural??? This is WRONG.

Edited Post (sans typos)

My understanding is that this rule was made because some A_H was doing a walk-through with a C-more (or similar) mounted on a handle and some other A_H thought he should be allowed to walk-through with an Airsoft!

Think about being down range and seeing some A_H pointing, what from 20 yards away looks like, a gun at you!

I think that just maybe the rules committee went a little overboard banning holding a mag in your hand, but then again we do have some really, how should we put this, dim bulbs in the chandelier.

Jim Norman

That in mind however, what next, I wear a black glove with white or red "Very Distinctive" stitching on it, held just so I can use the stitches as sights during my walk-though, will gloves be banned during a walk-through? Seriously, loading a mag whilst walking the COF is OK, but if I inadvertently hold it up, I get a procedural??? This is WRONG.

Jim Norman

Thanks for the idea Jim.

:D

I think the rule that applies to the question states, magazines can be loaded anywhere on the range except the safe area. And no, I can't think of the paragraph number. There is no mention in the question of using the magazine as a sighting device and it would look kinda funny using the magazine as a sighting device whilst shoving rounds in it.

I think the rule that applies to the question states, magazines can be loaded anywhere on the range except the safe area. And no, I can't think of the paragraph number. There is no mention in the question of using the magazine as a sighting device and it would look kinda funny using the magazine as a sighting device whilst shoving rounds in it.

The rule about loading is not what is being discussed here. We are discussing the following:

8.7.4 Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the

whole or part of an imitation or replica firearm, any part of a real

firearm including any accessories thereof etc.), except for their

own hands, while conducting their inspection (“walkthrough”) of

a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per

occurrence.

A MAGAZINE can be considered to be a part of a firearm, so while you may be perfectly correct that it is OK to load your mags while walking the COF, if you look over the top of your mag to sight on a target, you will (or could) be dinged one proceedural PER OCCURANCE. That means if I raise a mag to eye level during a Walk-Through three times, I would receive three proceedurals!

Personally I think the rule is a bad one and unnecessary. Rather we should have banned replica firearms and sighting systems attached or carried during the walk-through.

Probably even better wording out there, but the way the rule is written, raise your mag, lower your score!

Jim

Several years ago, while serving as an R.O. at our clubs annual money match, I looked up after the walk thru for a squad and about had a heart attack. It looked for all the world like some fool was walking thru the course with a GUN!

In no time I had the guy corralled and it was an old Magazine with a bar welded to the top and a set of Iron Sights mounted on them. At the time no rule was there to stop it. But I did.

Safety has to be paramount. Using a Replica or a Mag w/sights can easily look to an RO like a real gun from 50' thru a crowd of competitors. And if that RO can't tell if you had your real gun out, or was using the dummy gun, and then DQ's you to be on the safe side, how will you feel.

What of the newbie who sees a similar thing and thinks it must be ok at this match, pulls his gun out and gets DQ'd?

It may be a bit overboard, I used a Bologna Sandwich at the last club match (I swear I never sighted with it, HA!HA!) but a line has to be drawn and it must lean towards helping the RO's with safety.

• 3 weeks later...
My take on this is, um, complicated, since I wrote most of that particular exam. (snip)

Troy

Hey Troy, we could use a little more space to write in the answers that are not just yes/no.

Thanks.