Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Border Patrol Officers Here

Well my time in the Navy is almost up and I'm looking at a career change. So in my job seeking I came across some U.S. Customs and Border Patrol propaganda and was wondering who actually does this and how do you like it? I have read through the website and look at the requirements and whatnot and feel that the hardest part of the transition would be learning Spanish but I took this in high school and did fairly well. So, what do you think of it?

DVC,

Joe

I have a friend who got out of the Navy and went to work for the Border Patrol. But he is an Electronics Tech and takes care of the equipment and is up on the Northern Border. He likes it and has been doing it since before 9/11. He doesn't have to speak Spanish but he did have to learn Canadian. :)

I have two good friends (who post here) who were local cops for a number of years. Both wanted to move on to bigger and better things, and joined the BP. Within two years, both were begging to come back to municipal law enforcement (they didn't actually have to beg for their jobs back, they just REALLY wanted to come back). They both said that the BP is a joke as far as law enforcement goes ie: actually arresting bad guys. The laws are far too lax, nothing gets prosecuted, and the agency itself is a giant governmental monster that runs inefficiently and (sometimes) without direction. The pay is decent, but both my friends were glad to give up the extra $ for their local cop-jobs back. If you have never been a cop, it might be OK. But if you have been, and enjoy doing what cops do, this might not be the right place. Both my friends (who were stationed in the same place) said that location has a lot to do with it. The BP station they were assigned to had few opportunities, and wasn't the best place to live (family-wise). However, some of the other BP stations had some really good opportunities such as a well trained and very active regional SWAT-type team, and a well eqipped SAR team. Problem was, they could not transfer to another station. They said that the waiting list for transfers was so long, that other BP agents who wanted to transfer to another station would get there quicker if they QUIT and re-joined the BP and got an assignment to another post. Look long and hard at any job before accepting--and if you want to hear first hand from someone who has been there, I can get you in contact with the friend(s) I am referring to.

I am a BP Agent. I am also a former cop. I loved being a cop but I wouldn't go back to being a cop now since becoming an agent. Location does have a lot to do with it but I myself got very lucky and I received an offer for a great station. Of course the money doesn't hurt either. You will start as a GS-5 or GS-7 and you will progress to a GS-11. The work is great and I live in Gilbert in the Phoenix area. There are some stations where the work is great but you live in a hole. There are stations where the work stinks but you live in a beautiful place.

The academy is rough. Especially if you aren't fluent in Spanish. BE PREPARED for PT and lots of studying. Trainees now all attend FLETC in Artesia, New Mexico. You will be assigned somewhere on the US/Mexico border if you're selected. Just pray that you get a station with little or no x's. Check out www.honorfirst.com and get on the forum there. It's filled with tons of great info. for pretty much any question you have.

Jason

And just FYI, don't call anyone a BP Officer, they'll definitely correct you and tell you it's BP Agent.

Edited by jasmap

Are you retiring from the Nav or is your enlistment up?

Please beware that you can buy federal retirement for your navy years. This means if you served six years in the navy you can buy in six years of federal retirement.

Most local governments allow you to buy up to 5 years of federal time into their reitrement programs. This is SOMETHING to think about when choosing your next move.

If you are retiring from the Nav, I do not think you can buy into federal retirement.

Currently I'm stationed at China Lake Weapons test facility doing avionics test and evaluation. There are about to be a lot of jobs opening up out here and I'm reconsidering the BP idea being as I will make better money at the other job. Also, I leave my current job on a Friday, and start my new job on a Monday at the same place doing the same thing, with better pay. It's contract work right now but soon to be civil service so I might be able to buy my time back. I'll be getting out with 8.5 years in. I went to honorfirst.com and read through most of the site. Thanks for the link and the time,

Joe

Currently I'm stationed at China Lake Weapons test facility doing avionics test and evaluation. There are about to be a lot of jobs opening up out here and I'm reconsidering the BP idea being as I will make better money at the other job. Also, I leave my current job on a Friday, and start my new job on a Monday at the same place doing the same thing, with better pay. It's contract work right now but soon to be civil service so I might be able to buy my time back. I'll be getting out with 8.5 years in. I went to honorfirst.com and read through most of the site. Thanks for the link and the time,

Joe

Thats awesome if you can make better money and are happy. They must pay great at the other job because it's easy to make $75-80,000 a year with the BP as a GS-11 once you factor in FLSA, AUO, OT, and any opportunity for FLSA travel or per diem. Initially the money may be less because I took a paycut for about 6 months when I took the job with the BP but it really paid off for me. There are definitely some great paying private sector jobs though. I looked strongly at one just before accepting this job. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• 2 weeks later...
I am a BP Agent. I am also a former cop. I loved being a cop but I wouldn't go back to being a cop now since becoming an agent. Location does have a lot to do with it but I myself got very lucky and I received an offer for a great station. Of course the money doesn't hurt either. You will start as a GS-5 or GS-7 and you will progress to a GS-11. The work is great and I live in Gilbert in the Phoenix area. There are some stations where the work is great but you live in a hole. There are stations where the work stinks but you live in a beautiful place.

The academy is rough. Especially if you aren't fluent in Spanish. BE PREPARED for PT and lots of studying. Trainees now all attend FLETC in Artesia, New Mexico. You will be assigned somewhere on the US/Mexico border if you're selected. Just pray that you get a station with little or no x's. Check out www.honorfirst.com and get on the forum there. It's filled with tons of great info. for pretty much any question you have.

Jason

And just FYI, don't call anyone a BP Officer, they'll definitely correct you and tell you it's BP Agent.

Jasmap,

I didn't know you were a BP Agent. I thought you were on the mapping crew. All you guys do is drive around in the desert with a GPS on the dash of the truck. Yeah, real hard work! :rolleyes:

I've been a Patrol Agent for over eight years. I left for a short time to try my hand at the Air Marshals but that didn't last too long. I'm on my fourth duty station. I spend some time in Texas and am currently a supervisor in Nogales, Arizona. Arizona is THE place to be if you're a shooter.

The Patrol isn't for everyone. You have to love the outdoors, the heat, bugs, long hours and lack of support from the community and the press. Actually things have gotten much better for us these last few years and we're hiring like crazy. My first station was Presidio, Texas (get out the map!) and we had 100 miles of river to patrol. When I got to the station, we had a total of 18 people. Do the math and you'll see that there were times when we only had one guy on duty. I was on my own just out of the academy. Yikes! I'm sometimes surprised I made it this far!

Despite the Patrol's problems, some of the best people I've ever met are co-workers. Many of us would literally give the shirts off our backs to help complete strangers. It's not a law enforcement job in the traditional cop sense but make no mistake, we are proud of what we do and who we are.

Edited by Tokarev

Along the same lines, THANK YOU to all the guys and gals that keep us safe by protecting our borders. I will be in mesa for the SMM3G next year. If you are a BP Agent, please introduce yourself and the beer will be provided by me.

Thanks again..

Mike

• 4 years later...

Guys be CAREFUL, looks like they are coming at you from both sides.....agent killed in line of duty, shot in back with AK south of Tuson, AZ.....THANKS for your Service in protecting our borders!

RIP Agent Terry

Border Patrol Agent Brian A. Terry

United States Department of Homeland Security - Customs and Border Protection - Border Patrol

U.S. Government

End of Watch: Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Biographical Info

Tour of Duty: 3 years, 5 months

Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details

Cause of Death: Gunfire

Date of Incident: Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Incident Location: Arizona

Weapon Used: Rifle; AK-47

Suspect Info: One at large

Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry was shot and killed near Rio Rico, Arizona, while attempting to apprehend a group of armed subjects. The suspects had been preying on illegal immigrants with the intent to rob them.

Agent Terry and several other agents were attempting to arrest the group when shots were exchanged between the suspects and agents. Agent Terry was reportedly struck in the back by rounds fired by a suspect armed with an AK-47.

Agent Terry was flown to a hospital where he succumbed to his wounds early the following morning.

Four members of the group were taken into custody and at least one suspect remains at large.

Agent Terry was a U.S. Marine Corps veteran and had served with the United States Border Patrol for 3.5 years. He is survived by his parents, brother, and two sisters.

Edited by DrawandDuck

Military can buy their time back. The time applies for annual leave accrual (higher rate) and retirement.

I spent almosgt 6 years on a local PD before going to the Border Patrol. I missed the people, but never looked back in 25 years. Every agency has some issues. And there is opportunity to promote and transfer. It isn't always quick however. It is a lot faster now than when I joined.

ap38

Thanks for your service ,

I hope you guys have a Border Patrol team at the Mesa shoot, I want to get another photo with you guys

OH! and Par-Joe your avatar looks like some-one took a photo of my grand kids babysitter B) That avatar just makes me feel old

Edited by AlamoShooter