Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Sorting Screens?

TreblePlink

Okay, so I've bought a half ton of range sweepings. :P Be careful of what you wish for! Now for the practical problem of sorting and recycling scrap (9mm & .22) from reloadable brass. :unsure: Surely there must be a standard industrial process for sorting based upon shaking through screens based on size of calibers. It would seem possible to do some kind of automatic or mechanically aided sorting rather than the traditional 100% manual method. Does anybody have any experience doing this?

Unfortunately, the best tools for sorting brass on a non-commercial level are your won two hands. :blink:

I suggest setting out a few five gallon buckets, a comfortable chair and going to town!

Make sure you wear latex gloves or something similar. Lots of lead particulates on fired brass. I can sort a lot of brass while watching a movie. :D

Good luck and happy sorting!

traxman

There is no happy sorting by hand, it is the most boring job there is to do. But unfortunatly thats probably the best way to do it. I have heard of people using strainers and such, but you will be shaking for a long time, when you wont get it all anyways. there will be cases inside of cases. like traxman said, find a nice comfortable chair.

Yeah it sucks, but it needs to be done. I must have done tens of thousands when I started loading for this sport! :wacko: I remember it took me a couple weeks. I ended up with with a ten gallon rubbermaid container and 4-5 five gallon pails full of .40 cal alone. I also sorted the nickel as I went. But now that it is done, I don't think I will need to do it anymore! B) Gloves are very good advice by the way! ;)

My daughter likes to sort brass, so I haven't had to for the last few years.

Otherwise I think you're stuck with the 5 gallon buckets and a comfortable chair.

• 8 months later...

I agree with Traxman and Paperkiller. Set up several containers, use gloves, have radio or TV on and ice chest with cold beer to sort several K of brass. I try to pick a rainy day with can't do much else. Not sure about using kids, they don't think about the lead dust, etc on all the brass.. Their safety should be a concern....

T

I've seen one of the commercial brass sorting machines. It has several sets of inclined horizontal driven rollers and a hopper to feed the brass. The spacing between the rollers increases as the brass travels down the gap between rollers. When the gap space exceeds the brass diameter the brass drops through to collection bins. Doesn't get you past sorting the 9X19 /9X21/9X23/30 Super/38 Super Comp but gets part of the job done.

Keith

I go with kids. Give them a huge magnet for the steel cased ones and a Dillon large media seperator. You need to supervise and help sort, but mine work reasonably well for cash.

OR, give Angelina Jolie a ring. She has three children from third world countries, they will be used to that kind of crap work. Besides spending all that time with Brad and her would have driven them nuts by now. :P

If you were in Texas or California, you could go to the local 7-11 and hire a couple of illegal alien day laborers. $2/hr and a case of Miller Lite would get the whole job done! But seriously, as others have mentioned, a comfortable chair and a few 5 gallon buckets are ultimately the way to go.

(Disclaimer: No illegal aliens or animals were harmed during the making of this reply)

Edited by Sphpkr

Like most problems, the solution is easy once you see it. Here’s a photo of a brass sorter that I built using parts laying around the shop. A friend posted a video on his site, taken when I first had it up and running (http://www.commencefiring.com/files...orterhopper.mpg) I’ll warn you the file is very large. The hopper is now 12” deep and the brass falls through the dividers into removeable plastic bins below. It will sort .22 from 25 or 32, .380/223 from 9mm etc. and is much faster than any hand. It will also separate cases of the same caliber if one was shot from a loose chamber (like a machine gun) and the other from a standard chamber. The hopper looks like a 2’ diameter 12”deep Dillon case feeder. I run mixed brass through first and make a second pass with each bin for good measure.

post-6631-1176236319.jpg

post-6631-1176236336.jpg