Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So You Wondered What A Bullet Would Do To A.......

VERY Cool video

Back in the day, when I was shooting long guns, we used to practice some pretty tough shots. From 100 yards we hung a golf ball from a string and tried to shoot the string to cut it. No one ever did it, but we "marked" the string a lot.

We also did some golf ball testing ;) I had a video set-up next to the golf ball, and got some great shots of the bullet going thru the golf balls. This was back in the day before all of these fancy new 2 piece balls the palyers have today. The old balls were a mess after they got wacked. But the old Pinnicle ( hard 2 piece ball of yester-year ) would expand and then go back to it's near original shape and size. It would show a small entry hole and a small exit hole. Very cool stuff indeed!!

One of the guys we used to shoot with was a house painter by profession.,....we were at the range one day and he drives up...

We were shooting rifles that day and I had a 7Rem Mag and my 375Mag...Henry, the painter...watches us shoot for a while and then wonders out loud..."...wondre what that 7Mag would do to a 5 gal can of paint.."

We dragged it off about 50 yds in the pasture next to the range...our land but undeveloped at that point and I shot it with the 7mm...a 150 Sierra at about 3050fps..man..there was a mushroom cloud of paint, gray, explode from the top of that can that covered everything on the ground around it for about 50 feet, it seemed like..what a sight..Henry put on his paint coveralls and retrieved the can...

Also used to shoot the tiny and hard watermellons at the end of the season at my granddads...only a .22, but fun too..

The most fun is shooting river turtles with your shotshot .224 cal rifle as they come out on the rocks to sun in the summer..kind of look like a can full of paint when you hit them...

The .99 cent shave cream cans are way cool rifle targets. We've used them at several sales meetings for 17hmr, .204 Contender pistols, and blackpowder rifles targets. The coolest results were with the .50 cal bp rifles...big boom, smoke, audiable smack, ending with an explosion of white foam.

The real challenge were golf balls with the 17hmr and a .204 Contender pistol at about 75 yards freestyle.

Imagine what the photo studio floor looked like at the end of the day. :o

Long ago I read an article by a guy that was a TA in Edgerton's lab when he did the first super-high-speed photos-- the bullet hitting the apple was one of the first and still a classic. As he recalled it, it took them a number of shots to get the flash synch right, and he said that for years afterwards on warm days there was a whiff of applesauce in the lab.

Update: Holy cow, I found it: Hi Speed Photos And Applesauce

Imagine what the photo studio floor looked like at the end of the day. :o

Long ago I read an article by a guy that was a TA in Edgerton's lab when he did the first super-high-speed photos--[/url]

Wasn't Edgerton the guy credited with some real cool bombsight photography during WWII?

His high-speed stuff was/is really cool.

dj

hosing muskrats while they swim is another impressive sight. 223 rounds cause them to obtain "big air"-must have something to do with the round impacting the water and a shock wave. i remember seeing a few go up 5-8 feet or so...

Nope, the bombsight guy was Norden... :P

You're right. Norden did the bombsight, but Edgerton developed "high-speed" strobe photography for aerial recon.

From the MIT websight:

"At a less aesthetic level, .....The US Army also saw the practical side of Edgerton's work. During World War II, Edgerton was commissioned to develop a superpowered flash for aerial photography. Edgerton's system allowed airplanes to do nocturnal reconnaissance, including otherwise impossible documentation of Axis troop movements under cover of darkness in the weeks preceding D-Day (1944). "

FWIW

dj

• 2 weeks later...

wow. I must be a geeky cop or something. I was watching the liquid blow-back and how the hydrostatic shock reacted differently on the various materials. Notice that in the liquid containers, the majority of the liquid ejected out of the entry hole vs the exit hole? That's why one gets covered in blood in a close-up shooting. and... the banana peel seemed to resist the hydrostatic shock, but the banana innards splattered everywhere.

Not too long ago I was shooting the new P22 I got for my daughter and figured it would be cool to shoot an unopened can of Mt. Dew.

A hit with a HP caused the most perfect total explosion I've ever seen. Stood there looking at a wall of Mt. Dew headed my way figuring "this is going to be messy". Since I didn't have enough sense to back up, it was lucky we ended up being a couple of feet in the "safe zone".

I've never been able to duplicate that perfect hit again.

Back in my younger days our shooting area would sometimes feature junk TVs. Always fun to destroy a TV.

Last year my family and I started a new July 4th tradition. Instead of fireworks we take a couple of bags of aged fruit to the range (I am good friends with the owner) and whack them with different guns. I popped a small watermelon with a Federal 12 ga. LE low recoil slug. It was raining watermelon guts 25 yards away. My kid loves this stuff more than fireworks.

We noticed later when we were cleaning up that there is a cantaloupe vine growing on one of the berms we shot on last year. :D