Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Small Rifle Primer For Open

mleeber

Did a search and found very little on this topic. I have always used Federal primers because they go Bang easily (shoot mostly Glocks) but now that I have an STI race gun I need primers that are more Dillon 650 friendly. Which is better for 38 SuperComp major loads, CCI or Winchester?

I have used Winchester Small Pistol primers exclusively (9mm major, Dillon 650) without a problem.

+1 but i have also used the win small rifle for some loads...the small pistol set them off just as well though. I shoot 9mm Major and load w/ a 650.

CCI small rifle gives me the least amount of deformation. Like, none. The primers look like they were shot from factory wimpy 9x19 ammo, just a round dent where the FP struck.

38 Super, 115gr bullets at 171pf.

No flow at all, almost no flattening. No flakes in the FP tunnel, either. That's a first for me.

more Dillon 650 friendly

:huh::huh::blink::blink::wacko:

EVERYBODY I shoot with uses Federal Small Rifles. What are we missing ?

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

I personally think you shoot with whichever primer you started with. The person that started me shooting/reloading used Win Sm Rifle and 124gr JHP Montana Gold and I have never changed. He always said if you find something that works, leave it alone and stick with it. They all make the round go "BOOM"

Randal

Use Federals if you like.

I want no part of them.

I once knocked a tray with about half a dozen 40 cal. rounds off my loading bench.

One of the rounds detonated after a nose first impact on a plywood floor.

My granddaughter who was unfortunate enough to be standing nearby, caught a piece of shrapnel in the leg.

If anybody wants them, I have a couple of thousand Fed small pistol primers and several thousand more primed brass you can have for free.

Just be sure you handle them gently until they're off my property.

Tony

Edited by tlshores

I use Federal small pistol, small rifle, and mag small pistol for 38Super and 40 interchangeing as available. Load on a 650. Love um, want more. Only reason I ever load winchester is availability of primers now.

Mark

Remington 7 1/2's (SR Bench rest) in my open gun. 115's at 1500 with an ES of 5. No Flow. Started using them in my FA 454 because the factory recommended them.

Remington 1 1/2's in my Limited guns and my daughters Glocks. WSP's work too.

Federal Match primers for rifle - .223, .308 mostly. I do use mag primers for the .375 H&H and the 45-70's.

I particularly like Remington primers because I can store 20,000 in the same space I can store 5,000 Federals.

I put 5K federal 205s through my gun only to find out that i did not need a small rifle primer in my 9mm major.

when i shot supercomp, i only loaded 1000 small rifle primers before deciding that i did not need them.

for open, i believe the federal 200 is the finest primer made...for limited the federal 100 is PERFECT! and for the trusty 45 acp, federal 150s are the best you can get.

but i guess its about what you like and what you THINK works best...

So you are using Federal Small Pistol Magnum primers for 38 SuperComp?

Anyone else using Magnum Primers for this cartridge in open? I thought about trying them since the case is full and the powder compressed but doesn't that increase the burn rate of a powder?

Thanks!

Mark

i got the tip from max michel jr...he said he uses fed 200s with imr7625...and thats probably one of the hottest super loads(short of the Ultra ported IMMs)

the federal mag primers have a tougher, thicker cup that behaves much like WSR primer as far as pressure goes, but is easy to set off...plus i get a more positive feel when seating them

Hope this helps

harmon

The trick with any high pressure round in the 1911 is not the primer. its the firing pin. The dawson Hyperdrive firing pin will cut out all manner of primer flow. I used the federal 200s with HS6 (9.0 Grains 124 fmj) imr 7625 (7.5 grains 124 fmj) Ramshot silhouette (9.1 grians 121 JHP) and 11.0 grains of accurate arms number 7 with a 124 JHP.. no pressure problems at all.

Edited by Harmon

harmon is right, I switched to a Mi2 long firing pin and all of my primer flow went away. I shoot Ramshot True blue and VV 3n37 in my open 9mm and was getting some primer flow but the longer firing pin took care all that.

Edited by boynty77