Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proposed Modifications To Us Revolver Division Rules

Carmoney

Great idea and I'd have to admit I would jump at the chance to use my 627 in Revolver Div. (and all 8 rounds) but here's the problem I see. The 8shot/minor vs 6shot/major maybe worth discussion but what about all the people who have 6 shot 38 & 357 revolvers that might want to try out the division without having spend a lot. Especially important with all the effort to grow the division, keep in mind that the 6 shot 38 & 357 is the most common revolver there is. This is why I believe the division should always be 6shot/reload, the 627 can still be used in all the other divisions except SS.

Just my opinion ;)

JV

+1 to Jerry's comments. The changes are fine as is. Lets grow the division before we ask for any more. Even if I do prefer my 8 shot to any revolver I own ;)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming my practice schedule survives my work schedule, I plan to be shooting a bunch of club matches this year to keep my skills up. With the forbearance of my clubs Pres, VP and MD, I just might shoot the matches twice: once 6-shot Major with the 25-2, and re-entry with the 8-shot Minor 627. That would give a good comparison of relative performance.

Maybe even make for a good article.

At most USPSA matches, the 8 shooters would beat the 6 shooters. 8 round arrays are the norm at most matches. It might not be that big from 8 to 10, the difference from 6 to 8 would be a lot of standing reloads. .

I would have to agree with Cliff on this one. Two Coors Light please. :) Fluffy's Revenge and Fluffy's Revenge II come to mind in the Classifiers shot and there are those shoot eight, required reload at that point then shoot eight. That is about a 2 second advantage on a short stage. :(

I am trying shooting major at matches now (Yea, Waltermitty I'm at least claiming major if not shooting it) but I am doing better so far shooting minor. :o

On well-designed long-course stages, I'd bet the two platforms would be at near parity.

Then again, I'd say this is best kept an academic discussion for now. We have a good thing going just as it is.

I've always liked to keep things stirred (in a positive way) but how about this, there are a whole bunch of us looking for a place to use our 8 shot revolvers like 8 shooters. I think it would be great fun if we could get approval with the BOD to be allowed to shoot unlimited revolvers in the Single Stack class. The 8 shot revolvers could shoot major, have optical sights and comps. The optically equipped revolvers could probably shoot more accurately than the iron sighted autos and the comps would help off set the revolvers slower reloads. It would make for a great battle between autos and revos. It would make for great speculation as to which platform was going to win each year at the nationals. This could jump start interest into both revolvers and the single stacks. My opinion is that the revos would win every year, but I am biased.

I'd bet on an OPEN wheelgun against a SS gun in the hands of the same skill level people every time!

Cyl/Challenged, Welcome to the forums, glad you can join us............Let me warn you though, there are several here that will lead you astray so be very cautious of anyone from Iowa, Florida, even a few from Cali.....that left coast state! :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though, some good folks here.

Hopalong

Assuming my practice schedule survives my work schedule, I plan to be shooting a bunch of club matches this year to keep my skills up. With the forbearance of my clubs Pres, VP and MD, I just might shoot the matches twice: once 6-shot Major with the 25-2, and re-entry with the 8-shot Minor 627. That would give a good comparison of relative performance.

Maybe even make for a good article.

Pat, I think this would be a great field test to see the differences. We already have a waiver from MV to hold "recognized" matches with our new program we just added for ICS matches and steel. We would have the perfect "avenue" to try this. Lets talk more at the annual. We'll report back fellas. ;)

I think revolver division is the greatest example of "step up to the line and show us what you've got." No compensators, no red dots, no 28 round mags, etc.. Just a shooter, a gameplan and some fresh air.

If you want to play with an 8 shot rig, you should wear a short skirt so everybody knows you left your balls at home in momma's purse.

JM

"I think revolver division is the greatest example of "step up to the line and show us what you've got." No compensators, no red dots, no 28 round mags, etc.. Just a shooter, a gameplan and some fresh air."

+1 ;)

Edited by Jerry V

I've always liked to keep things stirred (in a positive way) but how about this, there are a whole bunch of us looking for a place to use our 8 shot revolvers like 8 shooters. I think it would be great fun if we could get approval with the BOD to be allowed to shoot unlimited revolvers in the Single Stack class. The 8 shot revolvers could shoot major, have optical sights and comps. The optically equipped revolvers could probably shoot more accurately than the iron sighted autos and the comps would help off set the revolvers slower reloads. It would make for a great battle between autos and revos. It would make for great speculation as to which platform was going to win each year at the nationals. This could jump start interest into both revolvers and the single stacks. My opinion is that the revos would win every year, but I am biased.

Uhhh.. No. <_<

I can't say that I find much to agree with here. We have single stack, production, limited, open, minor major blah blah for auto's. Why not mirror that for the wheel gun group?

The group I shoot with has all variations on there Revolvers that you see on auto's. 8 shot. 6 shot, scopes, dots, comps, special short light loads, hammers, grips, action jobs, barrel lengths etc.

So lets have two large groups Wheel and Auto and then the same class's inside each group.

So lets have two large groups Wheel and Auto and then the same class's inside each group.

Hey, I like it!!

We could have the USPSA Semi-Auto Nationals in the spring in Tulsa (Open, Limited, L-10, Single-Stack, and Production divisions) and the USPSA Revolver Nationals in the fall in Barry (Open, Limited-8, and Sixgun divisions). :D

But wait a sec--that would make too much sense. :(

I think revolver division is the greatest example of "step up to the line and show us what you've got." No compensators, no red dots, no 28 round mags, etc.. Just a shooter, a gameplan and some fresh air.

Yeah, when it really comes down to it, I agree. I do take a certain amount of pride in stepping up and competing in the only (non-provisional) USPSA division where there truly is no equipment race.

If this was done right, the Unlimited Revolver/ Single Stack class would be the only place where wheelguns and autos could compete on an even footing. Instead of splitting us in our own nationals and increasing the distance between autos and revos, this concept would tend to bring the two platforms together. It would take some tweaking. If the unlimited revolvers were just too fast for the single stacks we could eliminate the compensators from the revolvers. This would take some testing by advanced shooters to find that balance. Imagine a nationals where JM (shooting a tricked out 8 shot wheelgun) is competing side by side TGO challenging his reign on the Single Stack classic. That would be too cool. We would have to shoot stages with varying degrees of modifications to the revo until a good balance between the autos is achieved.

I think that it is fine to have a class for the revolver purist, it takes a lot of determination to take on a USPSA course with only 6 shots. But imagine a class where you would be more free to modify and more importantly a class where there is a healthy competition between the two platforms. I could potentially be the most interesting and spirited class in all of USPSA.

Edited by cylindrically challenged

If this was done right, the Unlimited Revolver/ Single Stack class would be the only place where wheelguns and autos could compete on an even footing. Instead splitting us in our own nationals and increasing the distance between autos and revos, this concept would tend to bring the two platforms together. It would take some tweaking. If the unlimited revolvers were just too fast for the single stacks we could eliminate the compensators from the revolvers. This would take some testing by advanced shooters to find that balance. Imagine a nationals where JM (shooting a tricked out 8 shot wheelgun) is competing side by side TGO challenging his reign on the Single Stack classic. That would be too cool. We would have to shoot stages with varying degrees of modifications to the revo until a good balance between the autos is achieved.

I think that it is fine to have a class for the revolver purist, it takes a lot of determination to take on a USPSA course with only 6 shots. But imagine a class where you would be more free to modify and more importantly a class where there

:) I like the rules as proposed. I like the idea of being able to use a 7 or 8 round wheel gun WITH ONLY SIX ROUNDS. That way I could still shoot a favorite gun and compete fairly with all others. GOOD RULES. B)

I believe the vast majority of USPSA shooters who are active in Revolver Division support the six round rule, however the new draft rules (if adopted) will open the door to more guns and more modifications, which should mean more wheelgun shooters.

Since you brought up the subject, Casey, I've always thought it might be interesting to allow 8-round revolvers to shoot all 8 between reloads, but limit them to minor scoring--in similar fashion to the provisional Single Stack 1911 Division. The shooter has to decide before the match whether he/she is better off with the two extra rounds, or the major scoring and the slightly faster reloads of the 6-shooter.

I considered experimenting with this idea in last year's Iowa Revolver-Only match, but decided it was more important to keep the match USPSA-sanctioned and legitimate. So this remains purely an academic discussion.

I agree it will bring more shooters. I know alot of peopl ethat say i would shoot revolver if i could shoot my 7 shot or 8 shot but i can't cause i will be in open.

What about a 357 mag that makes major and holds 8 rounds? that would be a good wheel to have and know a couple ppl that have them the only problem is gettin moon clips or reloaders for them.

Again just my .02

CaseyJ you can shoot your 7 or 8 shot Revolver in USPSA Revolver Division. You can even load it with all 7 or 8. You just get penalized for "Firing" that 7th, or more, shots. In the past it bumped you to Open, just like a Production or L10 loading and shooting their Barney Mag. The 12th shot puts them in Open also.

Note if you fire 5, go click, then skip to that 7th and fire it you're OK! No penalty. It's just when you nail the Texas Star clean, miss that big old popper next to it and "Don't" Reload and knock it down with that 7th shot that you get penalized.

I'll have to chime in too. If you know somebody that isn't shooting because "there isn't a place for their gun", it's just the excuse they're using to avoid telling you they don't want to shoot.

I started in revo with a 2" Ruger SP101. And yes Virginia, there are 5 shot neutral classifiers out there if you're the guy setting up the match. :lol:

Triple Choice

Triple Play

CaseyJ you can shoot your 7 or 8 shot Revolver in USPSA Revolver Division. You can even load it with all 7 or 8. You just get penalized for "Firing" that 7th, or more, shots. In the past it bumped you to Open, just like a Production or L10 loading and shooting their Barney Mag. The 12th shot puts them in Open also.

Note if you fire 5, go click, then skip to that 7th and fire it you're OK! No penalty. It's just when you nail the Texas Star clean, miss that big old popper next to it and "Don't" Reload and knock it down with that 7th shot that you get penalized.

I seen a good example of this in Oct. when I went up to the Paul Bunyan Range in Wash. and Rich Bitow was shooting a moonclipped 686+, didn't see him have any problems dropping in 7 rds but shooting no more than 6, so it is being done.