Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Friend Wants First 1911: Recommendations?

Eager

I saw I former office mate and great/real smart guy in my local range shooting a nice Ruger .22 target pistol. I was suprised to see him shooting. He was heavy into rock and mountain climbing when I worked with him. He asked me what I shot, and said he just started shooting about a year ago and would like to get into it more. Next week I took him shooting. I said I had shot USPSA for a year mostly with a CZ-85 Combat in Production and I just started with a 1911 in L-10. I let him shoot my CZ and 1911s (.45). He said he has been considering a Springfield Trophy Match, which go for about $1,300. He said he would be comfortable spending $1,500, but I think he be open to other options as well.

He shot very well from standing (had better accuracy than me), so I invited him to compete in the local USPSA match with my CZ-85 Combat and gear. He consented to go in the July Match, that way he'll be able to get some practice with me.

He would like to buy a 1911 in .45 and I think it would be a good idea to get him started. He liked my Yost-Bonittz customized Colt that is set up for L10 and my Yost-Bonittz customized SA GI (1* enhanced with some extras). I've had several 1911 and really see the wisdom of going custom, so I've recommended the Yo-Bo 1* Enhanced on their SA GI but with Bomars, because he wants adjustables. This would come in at about $1,800 with a wait of maybe 9-months based on my own experience. Based on what I've seen on these forums, I also suggested he look into an SA GI sent to Benny Hill to have something similar to the Trophy Match made but with better parts and custom fitted. Looks like the wait would be about 4-months? The stock Trophy Match seems an OK option too, and I told him so. He says his wife is only comfortable with one gun right now, so with these options he could use it for competition (L-10) and also for home defense and carry if desired.

Based on this background what suggestions do you have for a pistol for him. P.S. He's tried Glocks and 1911s and wants a 1911.

Edited by Eager

i would suggest to get an STI all the way. STi has a lot of aftermarket parts that can be modified later. dont make the same mistake i did..my first gun was a .45 springfield. and

after a few months, i like the limited class so i bought a para ordnance p16. a few months later got hooked in open gun. bought an STI 2011 open gun. then i love the speed shooting STEEL challenge...then i thought im not going to buy another gun? so i had my gun smith build me a steel gun top end... then steel challenge required a lot of ammo to practice. wanted to buy a .22 cheap ammo right? well, got a marvel top end for my STI. works great

and very accurate. my suggestion, BUY AN STI 2011!!!!!! from there, your friend can go from production to what ever class he wants to shoot. all he has to do is add top end on the gun...DVC

Regards,

ED

BUY AN STI 2011!!!!!! from there, your friend can go from production to what ever class he wants to shoot. all he has to do is add top end on the gun...DVC

Maybe I am missing something, but how do you enter production with a 2011? :unsure:

My suggestion is to let your friend decide after he shot the match with your CZ85. By then he will know what kind of game USPSA is and if he wants to play it.

If he really wants a 1911 type gun, I would not suggest anything in .45 unless he wants a single stack. .40 is the hot setup for Limited (+ L-10), but he will have to start reloading too.

I would seriously suggest a cheap 9mm he can shoot in Production and Limited so he can shoot cheap factory ammo and get to learn a lot of stuff without spending a lot of money. By the time he shot about 10K though whatever he bought, he will know what he really wants ;)

To answer a few questions:

We don't do the provisional single stack thing here and I can't see it happening either. We're too small. There isn't even that many that do L-10. In Production there are usually only three or two including me.

My initial suggestion was a 9mm 1911 like the STI Trojan or the SA, but he says he wants .45 (1911 single stack). He understands the ammo price difference but still seems to want .45. He enjoys solo target shooting and I believe he wants a gun that can be used for defense. He won't be reloading soon so that isn't an option now.

Has anyone sent an SA GI to Benny Hill or other smith for a single stack make-over?

The STI Trojan (he wants 45) also is of interest as an alternative to the stock Trophy Match. What are the odds of it working out of the box. I'd like to see him avoid having to ship/return guns siince he's new and will only have one.

Edited by Eager

Kimber makes a wide variety of .45 if he wants a SS .45 for a good price. Buying a gun and getting it made over is a waste of $ IMO with the quality of the Springfields and Kimbers offered today. For a few more bucks STI and SVI make nice guns.

I would seriously suggest a cheap 9mm he can shoot in Production and Limited so he can shoot cheap factory ammo and get to learn a lot of stuff without spending a lot of money. By the time he shot about 10K though whatever he bought, he will know what he really wants ;)

Take the advice and run with it. I am just starting out myself and I am using a old Sig 226 that I just picked up recently at a very good price. I am also a big fan of the 1911 and the 45acp. Yes, I would love to own a STI because it just fits my hand just right but I took the advice of many and after searching many threads on the same subject it's best to start out small to see if he likes the sport and not spend a fortune doing it. Good Luck.

My advice:

1) Buy a 1911 that uses the original extractor system. Tuning extractors is easy if you start with a quality part. If I need parts: http://www.brazoscustom.com is my first stop.

2) Tell him to buy exactly what he wants from the get go. If that's a $1500 to $2000 custom pistol, just plunk down the money and be done with it. And I know people don't like Les Baer for one reason or another, but you can get a damned nice pistol off-the-shelf from LB and not be waiting a year on it. BTW, once you spend about $2000, I think all you're getting is more show and no go.

If he wants a custom-built 1911, Uncle Bob (Brazos) would be my first stop.

E

Edited by EricW

A good 1911 is a solid choice that can be used for many sports, and uses not so sporty.

I'd not reccomend custom for a first gun. Buy something off the shelf, from a reputable manufacturer. Whatever you get, in a year you will want to change it. It takes time to figure out what custom features are right for you.

1) Buy a 1911 that uses the original extractor system. Tuning extractors is easy if you start with a quality part

Good advice. The new fangled stuff is meant to be cheaper to make. They don't work better than a good, old fashioned extractor, and are a lot more trouble to fix.

Edited by wide45

I would suggest a S&W 1911 also. I use mine in L-10. I got the bone stock model because I was not sure what i wanted or needed. It has run well and without the high initial expense, I have been able to modify it to fit my needs as I learn

Here's my .02 on 1911s. I have worked on hundreds of them and for the money find Kimbers hard to beat. I currently own two Kimbers, a .45 and a .40. Both are CST models. Each will place 5 shots under 1 1/4" at 25 yds. One thing you will find with a Kimber that you will not find in any other mass production gun is positive barrel lock up in the slide. The only other mass production gun with a good lock up is the STI Trojan. You will not find this in any Springfield, S&W or Sig.

The only negative I can find with a Kimber is the grip safety. It does not allow as high of a grip as some others. Does not bother me.

Well just to throw this out.. check out the CZ/Dan wesson lineup.. little less pricey then some of the others but i think you'll get a nice pistol..

my friend just got a sti trojan in .40 S&W.. nice, very nice.. I have a DW Patriot in .45acp.. shoots great in L-10..

If you want to plop down some cash i'd take a hard look at the SA TGO models.. can't go wrong there..

good luck.

Jeff.

2) Tell him to buy exactly what he wants from the get go. If that's a $1500 to $2000 custom pistol, just plunk down the money and be done with it. And I know people don't like Les Baer for one reason or another, but you can get a damned nice pistol off-the-shelf from LB and not be waiting a year on it. BTW, once you spend about $2000, I think all you're getting is more show and no go.

I can second the Les Baer recomendation. (Not that my opinion matters... ;) ) Just before we got into USPSA I bought a Thunder Ranch to replace my Kimber which was giving me issues. I have gone from D to B (in L10) and still love shooting it. It was on the pricer side compared to the Kimbers but it ran out of the box to start and has allowed me to tinker with things as time goes on.

Good luck,

Ira

BTW part of the decision for getting it was my local shop had one in stock. So yea I did not have to wait forever for it... :D

Edited by iweiny

For a good affordable 1911, you can't go wrong with a Springfield Trophy Match or TRP (and he can find one cheaper if he shops around) or even a Mil-spec and some gunsmith time. S&W's 1911s are also nice, as is Kimber, Colt :) etc etc.

Don't discount telling your friend to buy a good quality used 1911 and have it worked on. I bought a used Springfield loaded 1911 from a friend for $400 and have put about $300 in parts into it (new sights, Brazo trigger group, mag well, etc) and I have a Single Stack/L-10/CDP gun which can run with it's higher price tag siblings. A used Colt or Springer or Kimber is a great platform for modifications.