Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Tools

kevin c

So I'm thinking of replacing the factory sights on my G35 and G27, with adjustables in the first case, maybe night sights in the second. I don't have a readily available gunsmith to do it for me.

Is it worth getting a sight installation tool? Do I need a Glock specific version? What works and isn't as expensive as the Glock factory tool?

TIA,

Kevin C

I used at reg socket tiped driver from Craftsman. At first it wouldn't fit throught the hole in the bottom of my G35 slide. I gave it a few passes on the bench grider to reduce its size. This is only needed for the G34/35 and G17L/24 slides. I also put a piece of pencil eraser in the tip so the little nut for the front sight stays near the tip of the tool.

many sight sets will include a tool to install the front sight (dawson, ameriglo, and i'm sure others). the rear can be hammered in pretty easily (use a nylon-tipped punch...dawson also included one of these).

I put Dawson sights on my G35 & G21 and Heinie on my G27 with the tools supplied by Dawson.

I thought about buying the sight tools on eBay - pretty good deals every now and then. There just wasn't a deal when I was changing sights. I'm glad I saved the $$$$.

I got one for the rear sights. Nice to use, easy. Have one for my SIG's as well. With 3 Glocks and 3 SIG's, and a penchant for moving and changing, it makes life easier.

Will you damage a square sight using the sloped pusher, or vice versa?

Anybody try installing night sights (more fragile, with the tritium inserts, I understand) with a drift punch?

I assume the different models are needed because the fit of the slide is different for different gun manufacturers? Or can you jerry rig across different types of slides?

Edited by kevin c

There was/is a pusher that is more universal (in regards to model of slide). But, I don't recall the maker. It was still resonably priced.

Let me know if you find it. ;)

Brownell's lists three. One is for $441.65, the next is $590.00. These two look and are priced like they were made by and for machinists building Mercedes Benz autos. The third is $119.12, and comes with a set of three different sight pushers for different configurations. Cheap by comparison, but it's still over a C-note.

I would used it on a fixed rear sight without hesistation, but the adjustable ones like Dawson are more fragile. Then I prefer using a punch at the base which is in the dovetail.

Interesting. I'd been told, and thought, that using a punch was more likely to cause breakage. I'm thinking you feel the stress of the pusher on the top part of the sight is more likely to break the tritium vials or small sight parts than pushing on the bottom of the sight's dovetail w/ the punch?

Edited by kevin c

Thanks, though you are too generous. Unfortunately, I shot like I usually do - occasional bursts of brilliance buried in a miasma of mediocrity, and like I was using a Limited gun (way too many C's and D's, and, sad to say, a few mikes as well). Fun though, great people, great range and match, great weather.

Lone Wolf

I went with the sloped as I used Heinies and now the WTS.

MGW-ST1.jpg

I bought the same sight tool, and have used it on tritium, Tru-glo TFO's, Sevigney's, and Heinie's. Dawson adjustable rear sight doesn't really require it. It easily taps in and the set-screw is what holds it in place. I haven't had a problem putting in or taking out any sights with this tool and a simple gunsmith hammer and brass or plastic punch.

FWIW, the tool works better than the punch, but the punch is still required for some adjustables (like the bomar that hangs off the back of the slide). The tool makes sight changes on the fixed rear sights easier and more accurate. A punch and hammer is "hit and hope". When it comes to tritium inserts, I have to believe the pressure from the tool is much less traumatic to the tritium insert than the impact of the hammer and punch. There is a Ke transfer with the hammer and punch and none with the tool.

If it's worth the expense is something you will have to answer for yourself. I change a lot of Glock sights, because I have 4 glocks (factory sights are unacceptable) and people know I have the tools. It was worth it for me. If I only had one glock and was only going to change them once, I would find someone with the tools or use a punch.

• 5 months later...
michaels has very generously offered me the use of his sight tool. So I'll be cheap and use other people's investment in quality machinery... :rolleyes:

+1. This is what I did. I didn't really want to spend 200 bucks on sights and not get a C-More. 75 for the sights and 125 for the tool.

Joe

I used

a) A rubber mallet

B) A vise

c) A little screw (as a push)

to install my Sevigny rear sight. It took hours of banging the sight in, seeing that it didn't fit, banging it back out, removing some more material from the sight, repeat.

Somehow I managed to center it perfectly, but with the benefit of hind sight I wouldn't recommend this procedure :)