Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Laughing..how Do I Hold This Thing

eerw

OK..

talking to a buddy about revolver shooting and now he has loaned me all his round gun stuff..

I got a 625PC gun, a CR SPeed rig, a bag full of moonclips and stuff...

so I am working on dry-firing this thing..and

what is the best way to position the weakhand on the gun..I cannot find a place that my hand naturally falls..

thanks for any help and hints..

oh pictures may help

Edited by eerw

OK..

talking to a buddy about revolver shooting and now he has loaned me all his round gun stuff..

what is the best way to position the weakhand on the gun..I cannot find a place that my hand naturally falls..

oh pictures may help

First, shooting a revolver is an unnatural act. Live with the feeling :). The grip is very similiar to your auto grip. Weak index finger under the trigger guard. You want as much weak hand on the grip as possible. Both hands need to be as a high as possible on the gun. Your weak hand wrist should be pointed slightly down. The back of your hands should meet at the rear of the grip. The thumb position is the next, and somewhat controversial, thing. Many curl their stronghand thumb down and place their weakhand thumb over it. This is said to give the strongest grip. Others point there thumbs forward a la 1911. Others place their strong hand thumb on the cylinder release (ouch!). Others, who shoot revolvers exclusively, cross their thumbs behind the hammer (a bad habit if you switch back to an automatic). The cross over grip works well with J-frame sized guns, though. Grip is a very individual thing and the operant imperative is to grip the gun so your trigger finger can pull straight back, however that is accomplished.

By the way, if you are holding a revolver and not laughing, you are probably doing something wrong

Edited by underlug

First, shooting a revolver is an unnatural act. Live with the feeling :).

By the way, if you are holding a revolver and not laughing, you are probably doing something wrong

Why did he write all that other stuff?? B) Dave

I haven't found an unmodified factory grip I can get a decent weak hand grip on. I suggest putting epoxy on it and covering it with skateboard tape unless you hands are small :)

I have to disagree, A Revolver Grip feels perfectly natural to me. If you're into Ergonomics you can mold the grip to your hand. If you're in to minimalism get a set of Hogue rubber grips and grind off the grooves, etc... I'm using a pair of Miculek grips with skateboard tape on the sides. It handles the smoothest, while the Hogues seem to help on the recoil a bit. With 30 years of handling a 1911, it still feels like holding a piece of 1x2 wood. Granted it feels natural now, but it's still a box. While the Revolver feels round and smooth.

Point is, handle it enough and it will feel natural!

Gripping a Revolver:

I've tried several combo's.

1) Strong Thumb under weak thumb, worked good but my thumb took a pounding at the joint (ripped the skin open after 100+ round sessions).

2) Strong Thumb over weak thumb, not much difference from above.

3) Shoot it like your 1911, Get the hump into the meaty part of the web at your thumb (or not) and lay your strong thumb straight forward, then point the weak thumb forward under the strong thumb. It is the quickest grip for me, gets your hand high (should help recoil) and it saves the skin on my thumb from ripping. You can't use this grip with a spur on the hammer though, unless you use a larger pachmayr grip, maybe. If you have a hammer spur, just drop your hand into the "proper" position below the hump.

Note that Hogue Rubber Grips don't cause the aforementioned thumb damage, but they're stickier and don't allow me to shift the grip much.

I have always liked the soft rubber Hogues, even the finger grooves feel good to me, but then I keep the gun in my strong hand when I reload. Went through the Jerry grip phase, but they just weren't comfortable to me with extended sessions of major loads, took 'em all off and sold 'em.

I'm also going through the JM grips phase. They work ok for me but then again, what do I know? ;)

Here's a pic of my hands while shooting a stage, not a pose. I don't know if that's the right way to do it, but seems to work for me.

Good luck!

post-2776-1149273921_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nemo

I'm also going through the JM grips phase. They work ok for me... the again, what do I know? ;)

Here's a pic of my hands while shooting a stage, not a pose. I don't know if that's the right way to do it, but seems to work for me.

Good luck!

Nice looking gun, grip looks good too. I use Eagle Classic grips. They're pricey, but they're smooth wood (for moving my hand around to adjust my grip) and they have a nice palm swell like the old Jordan Troopers. To each their own...

OK..

oh pictures may help

As the question pertains to weak hand (I think). When I grip the revo weak hand I get as high as I can on the grip and just a little more as my web (fleshy part between thumb and finger) goes over the back of the hump on the revo. Also the gun is canted slightly, maybe 30 degrees, as it make ist more comfartable. I cut the spur off the hammer so it does not hit my hand while shooting.

think I might be getting the hang of it...took a few hours of dryfire over the past few days..

now I gotta keep working on that and work on the reload part...

Edited by eerw

there was a thread in the past with the same issue - I´ve posted two pictures there with my way of gripping the gun: link

I tried it, to put the index-finger of the weak hand under the trigger guard but it doesn´t work for me..... :blink:

on my website, you can see a small video of a bill-drill with close up of the gun and my grip (full speed and slow-motion) - just go to IPSC/pictures and scroll to the end of the site.

best,

Sascha

Edited by cooper_999