Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats Your Method?...

How do you get all the primers facing the "right way" ? Tried Winchester Primers, they are face down in the package so when I flip them over, they end up face up (wrong way), also tried Remington primers, they were sideways in the package so that didn't help. I ended up using an empty package tray, matched it up so the holes line up, flip it over so they are now facing face up in the package, then flip them over so they're face down. Is there a better way?

Edited by ArnisAndyz

You could get by with just one I'm sure.

1. Dump the primers onto the side with the groves.

2. Slide it back and forth on your bench until all the primers are anvil up.

3. Put the smooth side on.

4. Flip it over.

5. Remove the cover.

6. Voila, they're ready for your pick up tubes.

I don't bother shaking the flip tray to line them all up the same. I just pick up the ones anvil side down first, then flip the tray over and pick up the rest.

For $30 you can't beat the Frankford Arsenal primer tube filler. I have been using one for several years now and it is some of the best money I have ever spend on reloading gear.

Dump primers into the tray, shake a little, put the lid on and fill a tube in seconds. It takes 90% of the work out of filling primer tubes.

Before I got my RF100 I used to use the flip tray like so:

(Works best with Winchester primers--Federal's don't work at all well with this trick)

Take a box of 100 primers and the empty plastic tray from a used box of primers. Carefully pull the sleeve off the primers, examine the primers and align the empty tray over the primers so when you flip the trays, the primers fall into the old tray. Do that and carefully remove the top tray. Take the smooth side of a flip-tray (the metal Dillon rocks) and put it in place of the top tray. Flip the stack again and carefully remove the plastic tray. You now should have 100 primers the right way up to be picked, neatly spaced out for speedy picking.

MidwayUSA has them on sell right now.

Product #: 656090

Manufacturer #: 545199

Our Price: $27.99 Sale!

Compare at: $32.99 You save $5.00!

Sale Expires: Jun. 30, 2006

Super + for the Vibra-Prime. The way this 650 sucks up primers, I'd be spending forever filling tubes the old way. I've got 15 small tubes and 10 large tubes, so 20 minutes with the Vibra-Prime will keep me going a while.

For me, Winchester primers are the easiest. Maybe 1 primer out of 5 boxes that needs flipping. Federals suck, lots of flipping with that sideways packaging in those giant boxes. If the RS trigger I ordered will light off Winchester primers, I'll never buy Federal again.

Two old margarine lids work for me, one regular size and one large. Dump the primers onto the regular one and get the primers that are right side up, put the large lid over it and flop it over then get the rest of the primers. Cheap and effective no batteries needed!!!

When using a primer flip tray, don't spend much time trying to get them all the same side up. Remove the sleeve from a box of 100 primers. Set the side of the tray with the concentric rings on top of the plsatic primer box. Invert the primer box and flip tray. Gently agitate the tray until the primers are flat. It doesn't matter which side is up. Pick up any primers that are shiny side up. Put the lid on the flip tray and flip the tray over. Pick up the remaining primers. :P