Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Not Use A Magwell?

Looking through Limited and L10 setup posts it seems like everyone uses a magwell of some sort. My G35 is setup with no aftermarket magwell. The factory magwell is flared just a bit to enhance reloading. There is no added weight either.

Does anyone else shoot without a magwell?

It's not that it can't be done, it simply is a tad more difficult.

Nothing that a good regimen of dryfire training can't overcome though.

A magwell will help you being more consistent, and will forgive you for a tiny aiming error while inserting the mag.

For me, there is also the added help of having a spot (the line between magwell and inside of the grip) to focus on during mag insertion.

Edited by Skywalker

When I first got my G35, I tried a THE brass magwell, and didn't like it, and just shot the gun w/out any magwell for a couple months in L10. Compared to a single-stack 1911, reloading was effortless.

I ended up putting on a Dawson ICE magwell, which I absolutely love. Is it necessary? Nope. But it's more forgiving of a sloppy reload, and adds some necessary weight, IMO. The nice thing about Glocks is parts are relatively cheap and easy to DIY, so try one, and if you don't like it you can sell it and be out a whopping $20.00 or something. <shrug>

Some guy named Dave Sevigny doesn't use one. He's won a few matches. ;)

Actually he uses an integral bevel job built up with acuraglass by Daniel Tripp. The well is called a Speedway Magwell and you can find out info on it at www.southpawcustom.com if you wish.

Kevin

Thanks for chiming in guys. B) I've been practicing my reloads and it's pretty smooth. I've never shot a Glock with a large style magwell so I don't know what it's like. I wouldn't consider my reloads sloppy either.

I shoot a glock in limited(for now) and made A in limted and limited 10 with a lightly modified Glock 22 in less than 6 months(started unclassified in jan 05 and made A in both divisions by june 05)

I do use a magwell( forgot who made it, but its brass) the glock really doesnt need a magwell, but the extra weight made the gun balance and track better.

I asked Dave S. about this at DTC06 , because I thought it was strange to see a Limited gun without a magwell .

He replied " I don't need one " .

Dave also suggested I practice my reloads until I could hit the opening without a magwell.

I have a THE magwell on my G35 , and still can't shoot like Dave S. or Flexmoney ...

Travis F.

I use a seattle slug on my g35. I mostly wanted the extra weight to make the gun balance better when the mag runs low. I couldnt get over the multi color issue of the black gun, stainless KKM barrel and Brass plug sticking out the bottom, but I purchased some "brass black" and after three coatings, the brass looks like black chrome and Im happy now. I have not found a magwell that fits my hand on the glock yet. Admittedly, I have not tried Dawsons yet either or Novaks, but currently dont feel the need to yet.

I have two magwells for my Glock, and currently don't have either of them installed. I mainly shoot Production (where I can't have one) and with one on my Limited gun, I don't seem to be able to get a consistent grip. (Pushes my hand up a little higher, which in turn gives me the dreaded slide bite) I haven't feel handicapped without it yet........ we'll see as I shoot more Limited if I end up putting one back on or not.

Mike

I shot my 35 for several yrs without one. When I did try one it just did not feel right so I took it off. I now shoot open with a very small one, but it's all about practice. Ditto on what Glockphan said. He's pretty darn good with his glocks.

• 3 weeks later...

maybe im a weenie, but i appreciate the extra weight of the magwell over the extra recoil of the gun without it.

i dont believe the glock NEEDS a magwell, but the extra weight is needed for me.