Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendatons For Limited

Colvis

The STI Edge and Glocks are likely the most commonly seen in Limited, along with some SV guns and other STI models. Then there are the Para's, Glocks and a few others, incluiding those built on the Caspian high capacity frame. Unless you already know you want to build the gun from scratch, the STI, SV, Glocks and Para-Ordnance guns are the ones to look at.

Check at your next match and see who is shooting what and ask them if you might try a few rounds after the match. Most will be willing to let you. Decide on what feels best to you, both with respect to shooting and grip. Note, though, that many of the STI/SV guns will likely not be factory guns, but custom builds.

All of the guns are capable in the right hands, so it mostly comes down to what you prefer.

I have shot the STI Edge for everal years and like it.

Guy

You are going to have like 5 post right back telling you to do a search on this topic and that it has been discussed a hundred times over and over again.

What you will find is that the three most talked about smiths on here are going to be

Brazo's

Beddell (shooters connection)

Millenium Customs

These guys will make you a custom limited gun, it will take anywhere from 3 months to 6 months right now for them and run you anywhere from $2300 up to $3000.

Or you could go with a semi-custom build or standard production guns from STI and S_V. The STI guns (The Edge, Eagle or Executive) are anywhere from $1800 to $2200 or so and can be bought from STI or Brazo's or Dawson Precision.

Now you can go a little more on the cheaper side of things and get a Para Ordnance ($750 up to $1500, for the Todd Jarrett model) and while some people like Para's others don't. Some have not had any problems while others have. However the consensus on Para's pretty much is that while it is a decent gun you will want/need to change some parts, especially the hammer, sear and disconnector and for that price you should be able to find a used STI for around the same price.

For used guns you can always check here in the classifieds (there were some on there now) or the USPSA classifieds section.

There is another line of thinking for Limited and that is to get a Glock 22 or 35 and shoot it making little or no changes. The CZ Tactical Sport is another way to go or the EAA (CZ clones, kind of) is another option.

Here are a couple things to keep in mind, everyone likes something different than the other guy, everyone has a favorite gunsmith, and just because it works well for one person it might not for you. Some guys shoot Glocks better than 1911/2011 style guns or the other way around. Some like the hinged trigger of a CZ or EAA over the single action style, some don't.

You usually end up pretty confused and not sure what to do or how much money you should spend or want to spend it on.

Here is my suggestion, because I am in the same boat as you, go to matches with what you have. Talk to people there, ask them to see what they have, maybe even ask around if anyone has a back up gun that you could try in a few matches to see what you like and might want or need.

Just remember that you want something that is accurate and functions. Might not be something that has all kinds of bells and whistles and extra serrations and cuts in the frame and slide or could be that is what you want. IMO looks is one thing, but function is most important thing.

Oh yeah then whatever you decide don't forget that you will need mags, holster and mag pouches. And ammo that works in the gun of your choice.

fortyfiveshooter,

That is probably the most concise, yet adequately detailed, unbiased post on this subject that I have read recently or in the archives. It should be a sticky somewhere.

+1 on all points.

Thanks

I have been asking and researching this question for about a year now and I am no closer to making a decision than I was then. I guess it helps that I don't have the cash right now to do anything anyways!!

Thank God I am not thinking about an open gun, uh wiat minute maybe I should just.....oh crap

Colvis -

good luck and let us know what you decide

Edited by fortyfiveshooter

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm leaning towards an STI Edge 40. There's enough around and people really seem to enjoy them. I've shot my brothers, I'd just like to know which brands people really prefer. The information on the Para was something I haven't heard before.

Now if I wanted to shoot IPSC (World Shoot, Panama, etc.) is this pistol legal or is there something else I should consider?

If you hit the ground running right now, you could be in the World Shoot in 2008. By then you'll have so modified, adjusted, altered and upgraded whatever gun you get now, that what you get now won't matter. Gets what works for you, your budget and your near-term plans, and worry about the rest of the world when the time comes.

I think it's hard to beat an S_I limited gun. Certainly a box stock Edge that has a once over by a good smith (trigger especially) is a place to start. I would suggest you consider just buying a frame and sending it off a smith to build into a gun. Shoot some limited guns that belong to locals to see what you like. The first choice is 5" or 6", then long frame or standard frame.

What rtr said.

Keep shooting your 1911 & keep scouring the benos & uspsa classified ads for a used Edge or heavy-dustcover SV.

A new entry that's really inexpensive is the CZ Tactical Sport. Kevin said he tried one & the trigger from the factory was really very nice. BUT you'll be more limited in choices of magwell, guide rod, holster, sights - you name it. Almost none of your spending on that gun would carry over to an S_I which is what you're very likely to end up with anyway.

BTW, who is your brother? Does he shoot in St. Pete or Ruskin?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking to get started in Limited and after scouring these forums I know pretty much what I want but I am so impatient. The wait on a Brazos custom was quoted to me as 15 Months on the phone Friday. Yes thats months! Even a semi-custom would be 5-6 months. Other custom smiths I checked were all at least 7-8 months. Where can I get a good Limited gun that I can shoot this year?

I'm also looking to get started in Limited and after scouring these forums I know pretty much what I want but I am so impatient. The wait on a Brazos custom was quoted to me as 15 Months on the phone Friday. Yes thats months! Even a semi-custom would be 5-6 months. Other custom smiths I checked were all at least 7-8 months. Where can I get a good Limited gun that I can shoot this year?

Do you want to buy a prebuilt gun or do you have the parts and want to build a custom gun? If you have the parts, it can be built in around 3 weeks.

if you are looking for a Caspian Limited gun you should check out this on the USPSA classified site,

Millenium custom Caspian 40 limited - $2700.00 - (ad #8402)

Edited to remove advertisers name and personal information.

Edited by Singlestack

Not sure if it'll help, but Mike Caylor of CaylorCustomGuns has a lot faster turnaround on guns than what you are talking about. It might be worth checking out, if you need something custom but can't wait. He has pics of some of his stuff on his website if you want to scope that out, too. Good luck.

( I shoot a Glock, personally! :) )

Mike

I currently shoot one of Benny's guns. Did really well with it last weekend shooting steel in major....or at least I shot that tourney better than I had in the past. His guns just run and run and run. Super nice guy, helps me out when I break stuff with a next day turnaround, or there abouts. He still keeps my first top end laying around his shop that I blew up so he can have a good laugh.

I have talked to Mike Caylor a few times and although I have never purchased anything, he was really helpful. Another name to consider, who I have heard good things about, and talked to as well is Matt McLearn of m2i custom. Virgil Tripp was another nice outfit to converse with.

I have handled Kimels Brazo's, and boy that is one nice gun. If you want to go cheaper, get an XD and have Scott at http://www.springerprecision.com/default.htm do a sweat trigger job on it (awesome GM instructor too :-)

Some of the better known smiths no longer ply their trade, but do take on the occasional job for milk money.

I think alot of it will be who you feel comfortable with. They are all pretty good. I queried some of the better known gunsmiths whom did not have the time of day for discussion on what my particular needs are. I would list them were I a vindicative sort of shootist :lol:

Do not over look the Glock 35. For a fraction of the cost of a STI you can have nice Limited gun. The Glock will not be the limiting factor as you try and move up. I can't tell you how many people I have seen start out with the Glock then feel like they just have to have a STI to improve. I am yet to see any of these guys move up due to the STI.

I think the thought process goes like this, "Wow, did you see how fast that GM shot the match with a STI. I have got to have one so I can shoot like him."

One of my shooting buds just started shooting a STI again. He made Master in Limited with a Glock. My prediction is he will be back to shooting his Glock soon. Are you listening Cy? Next time I come to Atlanta I will give you one of my 1 1/4 lb Glock trigger jobs. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I recently had Mike Caylor put together a G20 limited for me. I thought he did a real nice job, turnaround time was probably 1 month, the cost was reasonable and it shoots great. I much prefer it to the G34 that I have been shooting in production.

I haven't used it in a match yet, because I didn't have any mag pouches until the other day.

However in a practice session yesterday, I got to compare it to a friends SVI Limited and discovered I can shoot the SVI even better. It is making me have serious thoughts about upgrading to an SVI. I have always thought it is the shooter that makes the difference but it makes me wonder if some folks can be more successful with one brand of gun vs another, irrespective of learning to be proficient with what you already have :unsure: