Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Deal With Rain On Your C-more Lens?

Flyin40

Shot a match this past weekend and the rain picked up for the last stage. Kept the gun covered until right before I shot but it didn't matter. The lens had alot of rain drops on it. All I seen was red all over in the water and couldn't hardly see through the lens. The lens quickly catches the water and creates a little pool.

So whats everyone do for this??? Just shoot and make the best of it??? RainX came to mind. Any tips for this???

Shooting in the rain doesn't bother other than its hard to see through the lens. I only ran into it one other time and it was pouring then. The same thing happened, the water on the lens and couldn't see worth a sh!t.

Flyin40

• 2 weeks later...

I've, purposefully, shot quite a few matches (shooting Open) in the rain. I keep the gun covered until the LAMR command. This makes it such that the rain doesn't pool on the lens. And what I've noticed is that if my focus is "On" then I don't even notice a rain drops on the lens. Of far more importance to me in the rain is making sure my draw isn't botched because of slippage.

Not always.. I got rain splatter at Space City.. my first shot blew all the water off the wall onto the scope and worse, the dot module. When I got to the next port, I had 3 dim dots, all off-center and had to choose between them..

I had the same flying water problem at Space City; however, the Limcat dot module "glare shield" kept the water out which helped a bit. Might be worth a look if you shoot in the rain occasionally.

Not always.. I got rain splatter at Space City.. my first shot blew all the water off the wall onto the scope and worse, the dot module. When I got to the next port, I had 3 dim dots, all off-center and had to choose between them..

I believe I was standing behind at the time holding the timer...the situation did not seem to cause too much pain...I thought it was a nice run... especially under the conditions! Rick

:D

There are two possible solutions that come to mind:

1- Pray for clear weather, which if you are in good terms with the powers that be may come handy.

2- Move fast enough so that you can place yourself and your gun just in between each rain drop as they fall. It's almost like calling your shots with the rain drops. I'm still practicing this one. Will report further when I have this technique perfected. :rolleyes:

Thats why I like my melted in JPoint. I left the old front sight in place when I converted it to an open gun and if the dot ain't there for any reason whatsoever, I just shoot top of post in the center of glass and it works just fine, thank yew!

jpoint-sightpic.jpg

I believe I was standing behind at the time holding the timer...the situation did not seem to cause too much pain...I thought it was a nice run... especially under the conditions! Rick

:D

Yeah, I picked the right one (or maybe they're all right in that situation.. I have to think about that), anyway the run didn't suck, but it cost me a couple seconds I could have used for whooping up on Burkett. :D

I think somebody needs to make a little waterproof mai-tai parasol for C-mores in the holster.. draw the gun and it falls away..

I think somebody needs to make a little waterproof mai-tai parasol for C-mores in the holster.. draw the gun and it falls away..

The Docter/JPoint have a cover that keeps them nice & dry until you LAMR ;-)

You could try the Arrendondo Lens Cover and tie the lanyard to your holster. When you draw the gun it yanks the cover off the lens. Or it could wrap around the scope and yank the scope off your gun or out of your hand or.... never mind I'll just put up with the damn rain drops or better yet I'll just 'Hide' in Limited 10 and not worry about it! :P

Nolan

The problem is rain after LAMR.. I can keep the gun in it's "Team Ziplock" stylin' rain cover until then. Maybe a weighted flap.. no chance of garotting some important body parts that way.

Maybe I should actually shoot in the rain.. darn match cancelled today.. it was only a little over an inch of rain at my house.

This is exactly what I was talking about. The rain gets on it and red dots show up everywhere. Its not a matter of finding the dot, its a matter of picking one. Its more like there is a layer of water, not drops when its like this.

At Area 6 we had rain on the 1st stage Friday morning. My dot had drops on it but I could see just fine. No layer of water just drops.

I ask Jake about what he does and he says he just cleans his lens inbetween each stage. It will make the water bead up instead of a film of water. This makes sense to me. I use a windex type cleaner and Q-tip to keep it clean during the match. My guess is the buildup of smoke and powder etc with the rain added makes a film on the lense. The dot hits the water and the dot is showing up everywhere in the water.

Flyin40

I haven't tried this in the rain but it might be interesting. I've been taping over the Cmore lense to force a target focus during practice. As long as your looking at the target you don't notice the lense is opaque. I bet this would also work in the rain.

Edited by vincent

Look on the bright side. It could always be worse. My lens blew out right in the middle of stage six at the Area 6 match this past weekend. Would have much preferred to have rain on the lens as opposed to no lens at all.... :huh:

Kathy

Actually the only rain I had to shoot in Friday was on the first stage. My lens was clean and the I was able to see out of it just fine even with rain on it.

That rain was coming down for you and the star stage, you could see the rain splatter when you hit the plates. Do you have any clue whether your lens was clean or dirty????

Mine will cloud up with residue after about 3 stages. I'll clean it after every stage now when its raining, hopefully that will take care of it.

BTW, you had some great times. Awesome run on the Saloon stage, Nice job

Flyin40

Kathy

Actually the only rain I had to shoot in Friday was on the first stage. My lens was clean and the I was able to see out of it just fine even with rain on it.

That rain was coming down for you and the star stage, you could see the rain splatter when you hit the plates. Do you have any clue whether your lens was clean or dirty????

Mine will cloud up with residue after about 3 stages. I'll clean it after every stage now when its raining, hopefully that will take care of it.

BTW, you had some great times. Awesome run on the Saloon stage, Nice job

Flyin40

Thanks John - I *felt* good about my shooting this weekend. I wiped off my dot about 100 times Sunday morning, and with as wet as it was, there is no way it could have been dirty ;)

try rainx.

I asked about rainx the original post, love the stuff and the car windows. So have you tried it?????? Wondered how it would do with the smoke, residue etc when you go to wipe of the lens

Great shooting at Area 6 Master Moore :ph34r::D

Flyin40