Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

***new Photos***......38short Colt X 8.....

DougCarden

post-580-1144708345.jpg

post-580-1144708370.jpg

Here is the gun I have been thinking about for about 5yrs, and finally had the balls to have built. Here is a little background.....

Not shooting any Bowling pins anymore, I decided to make my 8 shot pin gun into a steel gun. I shoot several matches in which reloads are important, so I use 38 short colt brass to make it easier. I did a little research and felt that by using a long forcing cone with a Taylor throat you could stabilize bullets OK from the cylinder bore area, even if it was not the smaller bore diameter. I had a short colt load that would do 2.5 inches at 25yds in a barrel that was .3565 diameter with the bullet jump in the .357 cylinder, so a shorter jump in theory should work with a longer bullet and the Taylor forcing cone. :unsure:

Here are the specs......

Shilen .355 bore barrel trimed down to Bud Bond size, read skinny barrel with three tornado ports on top with dish 15 degree crown.

Original Hunter unfluted cylinder cut down to short colt length and fluted. The original weight of the cylinder was a little over 9 ounces, and after the trim it was down to 5.6 ounces.....quite the weight reduction. Night and day difference when cranking the cylinder compared to my stock 8shot .357.....I can see why people like the Ti cylinders.....

Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle High Performance did the work. He has done all my Revolver work for the last 8 years or so and I cannot complain about the machine work and craftsmanship that he put into this gun. He was hesitant to carve on a perfectly good Revo, but we decided to go for it and I would be the guinea pig since it didnt look like we would get what we wanted from S&W. The gun was test fired at 15yds with good groups, but until I get to the range I wont know what it will do at 25yds.......I know the load I have will group, but I just have to figure out what OAL to load to for best accuracy. I will post when I have more group information. If it doesnt rain tomorrow I should have more info tomorrow night. I dont know if anyone else has done this before with the short colt but if it will shoot it is pretty slick!

Not gonna sleep much tonight....... :D:):)

DougC

Edited by DougC

Did we move the Nuts thread over here?

Jus' kidding ;)

It looks amazing. If it does the job everybody will want a gun that looks like a Starters Pistol on steroids. :D

Thanks for showing us that Alamo! I knew with the caliber of smiths out there...(pardon the pun.... :lol: ) there were similar guns out there!

Stuart, it isnt looking good right now to make it out. My travelling buddies are busy and I cant justify the match and expenses by myself....... :(

I have talked extensively to Bud about this gun and I want to get it into his hands to see what he thinks.......I may ship it out to him for his examination after a couple of my matches early this year.

I still dont know what it will do at distance.....we will see!

DougC

Here is the gun I have been thinking about for about 5yrs, and finally had the balls to have built. Here is a little background.....

Not shooting any Bowling pins anymore, I decided to make my 8 shot pin gun into a steel gun. I shoot several matches in which reloads are important, so I use 38 short colt brass to make it easier. I did a little research and felt that by using a long forcing cone with a Taylor throat you could stabilize bullets OK from the cylinder bore area, even if it was not the smaller bore diameter. I had a short colt load that would do 2.5 inches at 25yds in a barrel that was .3565 diameter with the bullet jump in the .357 cylinder, so a shorter jump in theory should work with a longer bullet and the Taylor forcing cone. :unsure:

Here are the specs......

Shilen .355 bore barrel trimed down to Bud Bond size, read skinny barrel with three tornado ports on top with dish 15 degree crown.

Original Hunter unfluted cylinder cut down to short colt length and fluted. The original weight of the cylinder was a little over 9 ounces, and after the trim it was down to 5.6 ounces.....quite the weight reduction. Night and day difference when cranking the cylinder compared to my stock 8shot .357.....I can see why people like the Ti cylinders.....

Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle High Performance did the work. He has done all my Revolver work for the last 8 years or so and I cannot complain about the machine work and craftsmanship that he put into this gun. He was hesitant to carve on a perfectly good Revo, but we decided to go for it and I would be the guinea pig since it didnt look like we would get what we wanted from S&W. The gun was test fired at 15yds with good groups, but until I get to the range I wont know what it will do at 25yds.......I know the load I have will group, but I just have to figure out what OAL to load to for best accuracy. I will post when I have more group information. If it doesnt rain tomorrow I should have more info tomorrow night. I dont know if anyone else has done this before with the short colt but if it will shoot it is pretty slick!

Not gonna sleep much tonight....... :D:):)

DougC

Great looking gun! Nice job! Dave B)

Please update us on it's performance and your load development..

Paul

thumbs up! Looks cool - saw some time ago a 9mm converted 686, also with a cut cylinder and set back barrel. The owner there was also very pleased with the solution.

I´m also interested in 38SC loads - just beside me are 500 SC cases waiting for the loading. First tests with Titegroup have been promising.... :)

DVC!

Sascha

Always nice to see someone that is inventive. What a graet looking un and I'm sure it will work well for you. I'm going to have to take my revo with me next time I go to IOWA and find out where you guys shoot. I go to Sioux City about every year.

Guys, quick update, I am leaving to go to my Manny Bragg class.

I shot groups indoors at 18yds due to 30mph gusts......

Two groups with 3 rounds and 4 rounds touching..... :lol:

No group size over 2inches......All circular in pattern and the blowouts on some of the others were my fault.....

It will shoot minute of plate. I shot the Bianchi rack out to 35yds standing. Worked every time. I benched it at 40-50yds.......I hit the plates but they didnt all fall due to wuss steel loads and the wind...... ;)

Yeah, I will keep it.....I will post some targets when I have time~!

Thanks Pinnacle!

See ya,

DougC