Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 Acp Plated Bullet Prices

aerosigns

Hey everybody.

I have searched many of the threads for the best place to get bullets from. Many people like different brands (Zero, Frontier, Ranier, etc.).

But when the rubber hits the road, how much did it cost from what dealer, for what brand per 1000, and then what was S&H, for a total cost? :blink:

I have checked on many of the recommended dealers in some of the threads, and when you get done doing the math from some dealers, it's cheaper to just buy it from the original manufacturer.

The cheapest I have found so far is Sports World Inc. http://store.sportsworldtulsa.com

Frontier 230 grain FMJ $68.07 + 9.00 S&H = 77.07 per K

Thanks,

Jim

Jim, I got a few thousand from Midway a couple months ago for $61/K plus shipping. It was a special price in their flyer.

If your birthday happens to be coming up (or someone else in your family), sign up with Midway and they'll give you special discounts for the week or so preceding your birthday. When my birthday arrived a couple weeks ago, I checked the price on 230-gr. Rainiers and the birthday price was again $61/K.

This would be a pretty good deal if you knew somebody traveling through Columbia, MO who could pick them up for you.

Mike,

I went to Midway and signed up. Have to see if I get anything for my birthday.

I did check their everyday low prices.

The best price I could do was for Winchester 230 Grain FMJ.

1K = 75.99 + 16.84 S&H (W :blink: W!!) = 92.83

Jim

Bruce,

I'm not getting the link to work.

What is the name of the company? What do they normally charge you for shipping?

I think some companies offer a good deal on the product, and then shade the shipping charge to make up the discount. Much like the two examples previous.

Why does it cost one company $9 to ship, and the other $16.84? Probably comes in a nicer box.

Jim

Jim - Two places to check are Berry's http://www.berrysmfg.com where they offer them for $78.99/k including shipping, but NOT including a variable markup for differences in market prices for lead, and Zero http://www.rozedist.com where they go for $87.55/k including shipping.

FWIW, I've gone to the old system of lead for practice and jacketed for matches in order to cut costs.

Jim, a lot of bullet sellers are now using the USPS flat rate box, which is $8 or $9 I think at the Post office. They go up to 60 or so pounds, whatever you can cram in there. I got 10K of jacketed bullets from Angus that way. ( I certainly didnt make any points with the Mail lady.....but it is her job and I told her they were coming and I would come pick them up at the office, but nooooooooooo now i just get dirty looks for her doing her job..... :lol: )

I would give them a call and see how they are shipping. Bullets have gone up and we are just gonna have to suck it up when we make our purchases. A bullet caster I know is low on lead and really doesnt want to have to buy lead right now becaus he is gonna have to jack his prices up considereably, and he doesnt want to do that.... :(

Good luck,

DougC

Irish,

You have the new leader in the pack. However the one drawback is they are out of stock, and on backorder.

Berry's 230 Gr. Preferred Plated bullets through Cabela's run:

1K - 67.96 + 8.75 S&H = $76.71

Newsflash :D

While at the Cabela's site they have Ranier 230 Gr. TCJ in stock and on sale for:

1K - 65.98 + 8.75 S&H = $74.73

Jim

Edited by aerosigns

The link was to Hi-Tech Ammunition. It is a company in St. Louis, Mo., that deals largely in mil-surp components...not loaded ammo. I am not certain how they price new bullets in quantities over 1k, but when I bought .223 pulled bullets from them the discount got deep as you went into the 10k+ range.

Here is another link to their site, see if it works. http://iidbs.com/hitech

I typed in the zip of 61201 which is roughly in the quad city area, right? Shipping came up $11.14 on an order of 1k 230 grain fmj's, for a total of $79.

Btw, when I last bought from them I went and picked our stuff up. They were very easy to deal with, met us after close on a Saturday, as I recall.

I also bought a bunch of 230 gr. .45 bullets from www.gibrass.com not long ago. Jeff is great to deal with. Looks like he is sold out of the .45, but has 9mm in stock. I bought them by the ammo cans full, he delivered them to a buddy of mine that he shoots high power with.

Bruce,

The linke worked.

Also I checked and you were right on price came out to:

1k - 68.00 & 11.14 S&H = 79.14

So that puts them in 4th place. So far.

Something you mentioned that I agree always adds value, is service and ease to work with. I always figure that when I am spending my money, I should be the one having a good time.

Jim

Other options might be Precision bullets with their moly coated bullet, if you want "something" just to cover the lead.

The 230 grain is $69.00 delivered and, I think, $65 per thousand if you buy 2 thousand delivered. I'd try a hundred before you buy in quantity IMO.

Another option is National bullet with their copper wash bullet. Their prices are good, but if you sign up they send you e-mails with discounts. Such as 10-15% off if you buy 2 items, a special "code" for another $3.00 off etc, etc.

Having said that, I tied to buy 200 swc from Precision and they are getting new molds and won't be available for several months. National, I read, is backed up on copper washed bullets, you mentioned Cabelas is out of stock on Berry's, etc, etc. So, I'll end up paying more for 'whatever', but when I find the right bullet at the right price, I think I'll "lay in" much larger quantities so I don't have to go through all this "nonsense".

Edited by Irishlad

I have had tumbling issues with all the top brands of plated bullets...JHP is worth the extra cash IMO.

You won't know you got a bad box until you find oval holes in the target...it's too late then.

Why do we train and train and then give up accuracy to save a few bucks?

SA

I can vouch for the quality of precision bullets, Dave Long is a great guy to deal with also. I have shot 155 and 170 gr. .40cal in my Para and my 610S&W no problems. Look at their website and they explain everything. The lead will melt before the coating.

Steve,

I agree that price paid must balance with quality required. But once you have found a quality bullet you like, why pay up to 27 dollars more per thousand than you have to. Therefore allowing more live fire practice.

Thread Drift Sidebar: I am glad to see your comments Steve. I use your book literally every day. I love and recommend it often. I have found few books that have been as valuable to what I do.

I graph my classifiers to check for trends or improvement. I see steady score improvement. I just shot a classifier that I had also shot 4 months ago, prior to getting your book.

Pre-Book Nat'l HF = 27.8171

Post Book Nat'l HF = 56.4179

Thanks,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

;)

Ive shot and shoot precision bullets have for years,Another good thing

about precision is that they are so slick that the FPS is faster than

Plated bullets with same powder charge.

Good Stuff they are!!! :wub:

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom

www.thebulletguy.com

This guy is in my area and sells lots of bullets. He also happens to be a STI distributor and sell lots of STI's also. :)

He sells mostly Speer brand bullets and carries regular FMJ's and Speer's TMJ which is their plated bullet. He doesn't screw around with shipping and uses the USPS one price boxes.

Just another option

Neal in AZ

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the positives of jacketed and plated bullets; however I get good, hard cast bullets from a local here in OK, and Im paying $35/1k! It hurts to think that Ill need to pony up another $4-500 yearly to shoot the copper stuff.

Steve, Have you or any others used hollow point "plated" bullets?, like from Berry's?

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my birthday present from Midway USA.

With the discount in makes the 230 gr. Ranier RN 64.66 per thousand. :D

I like the pricing. It's cheaper to buy boxes of 500, than it is to buy 1000 or 2000 which they are out of stock??? Buying 4 boxes of 500 is $30 cheaper than buying 2K. OK.

Thanks to whoever had the birthday tip.

Jim