Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Feeder For A 1050

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

no powder in the measure though, so someone is going to be busy pulling bullets I think.

WTH :blink: man, pulling that many bullets would suck.......maybe they hire a temp just to pull down rounds. Poor guy. Anyways, I'm on the list, whoo hoo!

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the KISS bullet feeder at Dawson Precision this morning and I was thoroughly impressed. Dave was able to easily load 200 rounds of .40 in (way) less than three minutes.

Dawson was so impressed with the unit that he will begin selling them. Look for the KISS unit in the new Dawson Precision catalog due out in the mail next week. B)

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

• 2 weeks later...

I just got one of the KISS units from bulletfeeder.com. Can't say I've spent more than 10 minutes with it, 'cause I only had 300 pieces of brass handy :D, but it flat rocks.

Setup is pretty straightforward (some technical ability is handy-- the instructions are short, but complete) and it just works. Absolutely excellent if you want a mass quantity of ammo and your press is tuned up. A bonus is your fingers aren't black with lead dust when you get done loading.

Maybe not so great if (and only if) you must shoot a very compressed load (bullets might fall off since they're only seated by the weight of the stack above them), need to switch bullets all the time in the same caliber (it's a little awkward to empty out), your press can't run hundreds of rounds without jamming (you'll be clearing jams the whole time) or you must have all color-coordinated loading gear (it's got a slight eau-de-plumbing look)

I'm thinking of installing cupholders on the reloading bench so I have something to do with my off hand ;) Best press accessory I've seen in a long while.

need to switch bullets all the time in the same caliber (it's a little awkward to empty out),

Shred...

If you have a short (1 inch or so) piece of plastic tube that is approx 5/8 inch in diameter and has a hole large enough for your bullet caliber, you can simply push it upwards into the dropper which will activate the mechanism and release the whole stack of bullets at once. If you do it right, they will all fall out into your hand. Be sure to shut off the collator or more bullets will be sent to the dropper.

If you can't find any tubing locally, e-mail on the bulletfeeder website and I'll send a piece to you.

Rick / bulletfeeder.com

need to switch bullets all the time in the same caliber (it's a little awkward to empty out),

Shred...

If you have a short (1 inch or so) piece of plastic tube that is approx 5/8 inch in diameter and has a hole large enough for your bullet caliber, you can simply push it upwards into the dropper which will activate the mechanism and release the whole stack of bullets at once. If you do it right, they will all fall out into your hand. Be sure to shut off the collator or more bullets will be sent to the dropper.

If you can't find any tubing locally, e-mail on the bulletfeeder website and I'll send a piece to you.

Rick / bulletfeeder.com

Thanks. I found a piece of CPVC pipe in the garage and whacked an inch off it. That works well to empty the feeder.

I was hoping they'd take email money transfers, as I hate sending money orders, I've had two stolen over the yeas. But it looks like I'll have to, as I know most American banks won't cash cheques drawn on Canadian banks.

Any chance of better pics of the setup?

I received the feeder in 38SC - takes about 15 minutes to set up - and works great...Loaded 100 rounds in about 2 1/2 minutes - without rushing!

Works perfectly - less to fiddle with than with my RF100!

I just got one of the KISS units from bulletfeeder.com. Can't say I've spent more than 10 minutes with it, 'cause I only had 300 pieces of brass handy :D, but it flat rocks.

Ordered mine today. Can't wait to get it! I was told 6-10 weeks, though... :o

I'm thinking of installing cupholders on the reloading bench so I have something to do with my off hand ;)

Or maybe a web browser...;)

-Chet

Ordered mine today. Can't wait to get it! I was told 6-10 weeks, though... :o

I'm thinking of installing cupholders on the reloading bench so I have something to do with my off hand ;)

Or maybe a web browser...;)

-Chet

I'm up to 2000+ rounds loaded with the bulletfeeder and the only new thing I have to suggest is if you don't use their powder funnel on a 1050, cut way back on case belling and use the swage backup rod expander instead.

I'm up to 2000+ rounds loaded with the bulletfeeder and the only new thing I have to suggest is if you don't use their powder funnel on a 1050, cut way back on case belling and use the swage backup rod expander instead.

can you explain more of this please? swage expander? their powder funnel (KISS?)

KISS provides a different powder funnel for 1050s-- it looks like a 550/650 funnel (that is, caliber-specific). The reason for this is to expand a short section of the case neck for the feeder to set the bullet in so it'll sit still while the press cycles around. A typical 1050 funnel is a straight cone, so the bullet is very tippy sitting there.

The swage expander is the die above the primer pocket swager-- it also expands the top of the case to about bullet-diameter. I found that I could make that take the place of the special funnel, but to make it work, I had to back off the bell a lot lower than the KISS instructions.

hmm I thought my 1050 expanded the case mouth too? I'm gonna go down in a bit and take a look at that, I thought all Dillons belled on the powder funnel. Where does one get the swage expander one from?

Both caliber sets I have for the 1050 (9mm and .38 Super) don't expand in the powder funnel. AFAIK, Dillon only lists one 1050 funnel for all pistol calibers. The expander (possibly called "swage backup rod") is also a Dillon part.. I know BE can order them, or for international shipping, a call to Dillon may get you one easier.

just went through my RL1050 manual and it mentions nothing about different powder funnels, but that we are belling on the powder funnel. I also looked through the Blue Press and didn't see anything about a swage/expander rod. Am I just dumb or am I missing some secret?

just went through my RL1050 manual and it mentions nothing about different powder funnels, but that we are belling on the powder funnel. I also looked through the Blue Press and didn't see anything about a swage/expander rod. Am I just dumb or am I missing some secret?

The bell still happens at the powder drop. The expanding is in the 'Expander Die'. This from the Dillon 1050 manual: post-1846-1165380542.jpg