Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm Magazines

benos

Metalform makes two different styles..one with the spacer in the rear..the other that TGO and Springfield spec'd out with the spacer in front..supposed to be pretty good..

Metalform magazines

heard that Virgil was working on some..but not out yet as I know..

Tripp

:D

Edited by eerw

Metalform makes the best 9MM magazine right now and that isn't saying a whole hell of a lot. I have spent way too much money trying to come up with 9MM mags that work all the time.

Only the metalforms have come close. On the bright side I talked to Virgil Tripp today and he said that he'll have a 10 round 9MM mag on the market by the end of May/beginning of June. Given the quailty of his 45 mags I can't wait. Till then I continue to suffer mag issues.

Does anyone know who, if anyone, makes aftermarket 1911-style 9mm mags? And if so, who's are the best? (A customer called, and I couldn't answer that question.)

Thank you,

be

Chip's 38 super mags, load 147's a little long in my 9mm cases and you get 10 into the mag...been working ok for me in SS...I ordered up 2 of everybody's 38 super mags and tried them until I discovered that the McCormicks were the only ones working all the time. I tried all the 9mm mags and the Wilsons worked best, but only hold 9 no matter what mods I tried with them...

michaels

Be careful with the McCormick 10rd .38super mags-I know someone that uses them exclusively and has at least 3 mags explode in the last few months. It may be over use but McCormick has replaced every one promptly.

Be careful with the McCormick 10rd .38super mags-I know someone that uses them exclusively and has at least 3 mags explode in the last few months. It may be over use but McCormick has replaced every one promptly.

I hope when you say "explode" we're talking the bottom falling out...looking at the 12 Chip mags that I've got know, and the way I treat them, exploding would be the least of their worries...

now my Glock mags, those babies explode a lot...but what do I know, I was rasied to use moon clips anyway...I did explode a primer tube and a barrel all on the same day a couple of weeks ago, I'm so lucky...

michaels

I think if a 10-round flush-fitting 9mm single-stack mag could be made to function reliably, we would already have a bunch on the market. Nine rounds seems to be the functional limit. A number of companies have supposedly been trying to get this figured out for some time now.

But I would love to be proven wrong!!

A reliable 10+1 1911 that I could feed cheap WWB ammo would be the berries!! (If I have to reload special 9mm ammo to make it work, it defeats the whole purpose, I'll just shoot .38 Super which works great in a 10+1 single stack.)

I have used the Springfield (MetalForm) 9mm Front Ramp configuration mags for three years now and have shot thousands of rounds thru my non-ramped 5" 9mm 1911 without a single mag related failure. Pads have typical two screw attachment.

As soon as I load rounds into a spare spacer-in-the-rear type mag, the rounds will have periodic nose down jams.

Waiting for V. Tripp!

Edited by Tony S45

My research on this subject yields that a lot of the guns coming out of the factories dont use the right slide stop, or are oversprung. A lot of guys having problems with their 9x19 guns found that going to a heavier mainspring, 17-19lb coupled with a lighter recoil spring( 9-11lbs) seem to take care of all problems they associated with the magazines. :ph34r: Make sure that you have a correct 38/9x19 slide stop in the gun as well. You might also have to bend the top two coils of the mag spring upward a little, tuning the mag so to speak. This should give you trouble free feeding with 9rds, and most of the time10rds of 9x19 with the McCormick and Metalform mags. That is all I have personal experience with. When all else fails, box the stuff up and send it to a reputable smith like Benny or some of the others on this board and let them figure it out. It aint rocket science, and you shouldnt have to put up with a less than 100% gun! :D

Regards,

DougC

Edited by DougC

Mec Gar lists a 9mm 9 round mag on their price list also

That's the OEM magazine STI ships with their 9mm 1911. Quality is pretty good.

I have used Wilson Combat mags but I think they are Metalform with wilson basepads glued on them. They do work really well but it would be nice to see a 10 round 9mm mag.

It would be nice, but the CMC ten-round .38S mags work in most guns feeding 9mm.

I think if a 10-round flush-fitting 9mm single-stack mag could be made to function reliably, we would already have a bunch on the market. Nine rounds seems to be the functional limit.

But I would love to be proven wrong!!

A reliable 10+1 1911 that I could feed cheap WWB ammo would be the berries!! (If I have to reload special 9mm ammo to make it work, it defeats the whole purpose, I'll just shoot .38 Super which works great in a 10+1 single stack.)

I have a total of eight "9 - round" Mecgars to which I added some "+1" followers and springs originally designed for .38S magazines. They do now hold ten rounds, they will feed standard 9mm reliably so long as you don't insert the mag on a closed slide as that will give the famous nosedive into the feedramp.

The real problem is the stupid tapered case on the 9mm round which makes the nose tend to drop and makes it virtually impossible to get upward force on the front of the top round when all ten are in.

Bountyhunter is correct, it is the taper that causes the problem. I have converted 9 round mags to hold 10 but they no longer can lock the slide open when empty. I live with that when I must have 10 rounds. If you want the thing to work all the time with 10 rounds you really want a 38 Super Comp, not a 9. I know, I know, all that cheap reliable and accurate 9x19 ammo! I have fought this problem for many years and with the prototype magazines I built that metalform used to design the mag they eventually made with the spacer in the front, reliability was 100% Maybe the best feeding setup I have ever used in a single stack. However, Metalform missed on a couple of points and the magazine now produced is not exactly right although it is the best thing available. I may go another way to get magazines produced and then I will work to make them hold 10 rounds. I originally did not care as 9 rounds capacity was perfect for IDPA.

Rob

One of the guys at Metalform told me they would have 10 rd 9mm mags available this spring. I hope they don't miss the boat like they did with the 10 rd .40 mags. They are way too long to fit into the IDPA box.

I just made my own. I have 10 round .40 or 9 round .45ACP mags that will fit into the IDPA box and function perfectly.

Talk about the perfect ESP gun. 1911 .45 10 rounds to start 130 pf 200 gr SWC. Now if I could just learn to shoot a 1911.

Who makes the mag marked with MM and 8.8 on the bottom? Two holes in the base for attaching a basepad and a "crimp" extending down the front of the mag - spacer?. I just picked up a new SS 9mm and it came with Meggar mags with no holes for attaching a basepad..?? I am going to give both kinds of mags a workout tomorrow and see if either type have any problems. The Meggar mags have a rear spacer in the mag and appear to be of a heavier material and either high polish stainless or chromed. The Meggars also have a much more pronounced "rise" to the follower so it looks as if it will exert more upward pressure on the nose area of the round.

Edited by Merlin Orr

I have been running Virgil's 10 round 9mm mags for the last year. I got some of his original batch. They are the best running magazine in my gun. CMC 38 super mags can be made to work decent but need a bit of work. All this is with 147gr. projectiles loaded long. As far as 9 round mags for those that think it's more gamey for IDPA, the Springfield style MetelForms are the best. The Metelform followers are pretty sorry and most need a little work to get them to lock back consistently. The little foot that engages the slide stop is sometimes bent down and doesn't engage properly and when you bend it up, it drags the front of the tube so you have to grind the front of the follower for clearance.

Who makes the mag marked with MM and 8.8 on the bottom? Two holes in the base for attaching a basepad and a "crimp" rolled into the mag extending down the front of the mag - spacer?. Somebody help me with this.

Took my new SS 9mm to my range and shot several hundred rounds using both types of mags I currently have. The sexy looking Meggars with the rear spacer ran great but would not catch the slide on the last shot - ever! The unknown (to me) mags marked with the MM ran perfect and caught the slide without fail. The MM? mags looked like Poo when loaded to 9 rounds as the bullets Really looked "nosed down" but had zero problems in any regard.

One thing that was really driven home to me is that without mag basepads I can't do any kind of speedload - period. So another question is whose basepad and where to buy... :huh: I need a basepad with two attachment holes for the screws.

Who makes the mag marked with MM and 8.8 on the bottom? Two holes in the base for attaching a basepad and a "crimp" rolled into the mag extending down the front of the mag - spacer?. Somebody help me with this.

Took my new SS 9mm to my range and shot several hundred rounds using both types of mags I currently have. The sexy looking Meggars with the rear spacer ran great but would not catch the slide on the last shot - ever! The unknown (to me) mags marked with the MM ran perfect and caught the slide without fail. The MM? mags looked like Poo when loaded to 9 rounds as the bullets Really looked "nosed down" but had zero problems in any regard.

One thing that was really driven home to me is that without mag basepads I can't do any kind of speedload - period. So another question is whose basepad and where to buy... :huh: I need a basepad with two attachment holes for the screws.

These sound just like the mags I have for my 9mm. I got mine from Springfield, and it says on their website that they're Metalform magazines. They hold 9 rounds.

When new, they all had a sharp, burred edge on the ramp area, and would not feed. (I was told to expect this from a friend who had ordered some previously, so I wasn't surprised) About 3 minutes on each with a round file and some 400 grit sandpaper and they were perfect. I have zero issues with them in either of my two 9mm 1911's.

Art

These sound just like the mags I have for my 9mm. I got mine from Springfield, and it says on their website that they're Metalform magazines. They hold 9 rounds.

When new, they all had a sharp, burred edge on the ramp area, and would not feed. (I was told to expect this from a friend who had ordered some previously, so I wasn't surprised) About 3 minutes on each with a round file and some 400 grit sandpaper and they were perfect. I have zero issues with them in either of my two 9mm 1911's.

Art

Merlin.

Those are the Metalform Mags designed by TGO. They are also the mags you get with

a 9mm 1911 from Springfield.

Use the base pads from Brown or the colored ones from Kings. Either one has the matching holes with self tapping screws.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I actually have another question, where I shoot they do not really use the box to check and most people use long clips in both limited and limited 10, I personally have been using the Chip 10 round mags in my 45, so now I wonder does noone make a higher capacity clip in a single stack for the 9mm 1911? I am talking about basically somthing like my 10 round 45 clip but holding 9mm?