Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Holsters

Jeremiah

What holsters are you guys carrying your glocks in outside of the competition arena? What are you using for everyday carry?

Does anybody use something made of kydex for a IWB holster? How does the plastic feel in the waistband compared with leather? I would think leather would be more comfortable?

Edited by Jeremiah

I use a comp-tac C-tac, with a standard clip in back, J-hook in front.

Very comfortable, secure, and quick. This holster is the one that got me away from leather.

For the most part I don't even notice it's plastic, but I do wear an undershirt most days, so nothing rubs.

My G19 rides in a Blade Tech IBW that I am quite fond of. It has the J hooks, and I highly recommend those. I have used the rubber belt loops also and they work fine, I just prefer the J hooks, very easy on/off and they stay in place. My G27 rides in a Desantis ankle rig bought from Dillion, and I cant imagine an ankle holster better than that one.

I love kydex - for belt holsters. I've never found one that's comfortable for me IWB. YMMV

I really like High-Noon holsters. My current favorite IWB is the High Noon "Mr. Softy." It's like glove leather but still has good retention.

That Mr. Softy looks pretty neat for a carry holster. If I understand it correctly though, it won't allow one handed reholstering, right? I guess for a carry piece, that isn't a big deal. How are they holding up for you guys?

The CTAC seems like a bunch of bulk with clips and extensions all over the place to me. It also looks like it would be a pain to get on and off easily? But, it looks to be really solid. Here in Ohio, when you jump into a car you can't have your piece concealed. It has to be in the open. So, something that is easily taken out of the wasteband is the only way to use a IWB.

Thanks for the responses so far.

That Mr. Softy looks pretty neat for a carry holster. If I understand it correctly though, it won't allow one handed reholstering, right? I guess for a carry piece, that isn't a big deal. How are they holding up for you guys?

It's reinforced around the top to keep it slighly open, but you may have to use two hands. The clip is very strong and is essentially a reverse J-hook - so it hooks underneath the belt. A very good design.

I haven't found anything I like better than the Milt Sparks Watch Six for my G17. Once it's on, it stays put. I like the wide spacing of loops for this reason since it seemed like the summer special design seemed to move around too much.

Sidearmor IWB for my G29. Sidearmor mag pouch and Blade-Tech flashlight (Sidearmor didn't make a flashlight one when I started carrying) holders on the off side. I use the full loops on everything, again that's what they had when I started and just kept with it. Finally had to buy a new set of loops for the holster (they are detachable, not integral to the holster, so you can change sizes and angles) after 7 years, one of the two loops had cracked.

Feel is very personal, probably relates more to the size, position, and cant of the holster. I do not notice the IWB at all anymore, but I had no problem at the start either from a comfort standpoint. The kydex is smooth on the outside and at least the Sidearmor has nicely finished edges. I also usually have a t-shirt between it and my skin.

Until recently I also used the Sideamor vertical OWB for my G20 in Limited. Switched to the Blade-tech DOH to get it a bit lower, but miss the crisp Sidearmor finishing.

Edited by SJ

I use a Tucker Gunleather Texas Heritage. I have found it to be the most comfortable IWB that I have found. The slight swivel of the clips lets the gun move as you sit, stand, squat etc. which means fewer instances of the rib poke from the gun. I have had mine for three years now wearing it at least 4-5 days a week without issue.

Good luck, Craig

www.tuckergunleather.com

My G19 rides in a Blade Tech IBW that I am quite fond of. It has the J hooks, and I highly recommend those. I have used the rubber belt loops also and they work fine, I just prefer the J hooks, very easy on/off and they stay in place. My G27 rides in a Desantis ankle rig bought from Dillion, and I cant imagine an ankle holster better than that one.

Would that be the Apache Ankle holster (elastic leg band)?

I have a FIST IWB thin Kydex holster for all of my Glocks, from full-size to subcompact. They are secure, lightweight, easy to draw from or reholster and made to order. Otherwise, I use a close-fitting leather pancake style or a CQC for my G34/35 when I feel adventurous or maybe paranoid is a better choice or word :D

I used to have a Milt Sparks Watch Six when I carried a Taurus PT-145 (roughly the same size as a baby Glock.) Very well made comfortable holster. Only problem is it takes about 3 months to have one made. I carry a Scandium J frame now in a Concealco holster. It's similar to the Watch Six, just places the front strap a little different. I'm pleased with this holster (Readyline IWB) and you can get them immediately for a bunch of guns, including Glocks.

Concealco Holsters

I switch between the Comp-tac CTAC and Threat Solutions UCR. The UCR is easier on/off, but the CTAC is more comfortable. Overall, I'm starting to prefer the CTAC. Both are fast and pretty comfortable. Cheers,

-brian reynolds

• 4 weeks later...

I got my Mr. Softy a couple of weeks ago. After wearing it that long, I have came to the conclusion that I don't like it at all. My biggest grip is the metal clip. It measures a full 2.25 inches from top to bottom. So, it sticks down under my 1.75" belt by a good half inch. This makes it very easily seen, no matter if it's black on my black belt and it's supposed to "disapear" when it's against the black belt. Plus, it's very sharp, and bent to go under the belt from the outside. It's just a J shape. That makes it very hard to get on and off. I have to say though, that once it's on, it's on, and it's not coming up with the holster.

The nicest thing about it is the width of the holster. High Noon is really on to something with the thin glove leather. It's comfortable and it's not overly thick. THey just need a clip that fits better with another bend in it to form more a hook that can more easily be taken on and off.

Here in Ohio, we can't have our gun concealed while in a car, so I have to take this thing on and off every time I get in and out of a car. It's a real pain! If I didn't have to take it off other than at the end of the day, this holster would be a lot better. That clip is still to long though.

What holsters are you guys carrying your glocks in outside of the competition arena? What are you using for everyday carry?

Does anybody use something made of kydex for a IWB holster? How does the plastic feel in the waistband compared with leather? I would think leather would be more comfortable?

I use Ready Tactical holsters pretty much for everything. www.pistolpacking.com

I got my Mr. Softy a couple of weeks ago. After wearing it that long, I have came to the conclusion that I don't like it at all. My biggest grip is the metal clip. It measures a full 2.25 inches from top to bottom. So, it sticks down under my 1.75" belt by a good half inch. This makes it very easily seen, no matter if it's black on my black belt and it's supposed to "disapear" when it's against the black belt. Plus, it's very sharp, and bent to go under the belt from the outside. It's just a J shape. That makes it very hard to get on and off. I have to say though, that once it's on, it's on, and it's not coming up with the holster.

The nicest thing about it is the width of the holster. High Noon is really on to something with the thin glove leather. It's comfortable and it's not overly thick. THey just need a clip that fits better with another bend in it to form more a hook that can more easily be taken on and off.

Here in Ohio, we can't have our gun concealed while in a car, so I have to take this thing on and off every time I get in and out of a car. It's a real pain! If I didn't have to take it off other than at the end of the day, this holster would be a lot better. That clip is still to long though.

J - that's a bummer that you don't like the holster. Holster selection is a personal thing and it's hard to know what you like until you wear it for a while.

Yeah - the Mr. Softy really isn't a "tuckable" model where you can let the J clip show. I use it with an untucked shirt. The holster is somewhat hard to get off because it's a J clip - but that's a good thing in my mind. Some clip holsters will draw WITH the gun :o The Mr. Softy won't.

Please explain your comment about Ohio law. Do you have a CCW license? So even with the CCW, you have to de-gun when you're in a car? If so, that sucks!