Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Holsters

Jeremiah

I love kydex - for belt holsters. I've never found one that's comfortable for me IWB. YMMV

I really like High-Noon holsters. My current favorite IWB is the High Noon "Mr. Softy." It's like glove leather but still has good retention.

+1 to Reverend Pritchard's words. I'm a big fan of High Noon holsters and although I don't carry a Glock anymore for my XD compact I use the Split Decision and the Closing Argument. Both are tuckables but you can also use them the regular IWB way. I just like having the option. Those have the FBI-DEA-ATF-BICE cant, but you can get the straight drop version in the Hidden Ally and the Hidden Impact.

Good luck!

I got my Mr. Softy a couple of weeks ago. After wearing it that long, I have came to the conclusion that I don't like it at all. My biggest grip is the metal clip. It measures a full 2.25 inches from top to bottom. So, it sticks down under my 1.75" belt by a good half inch. This makes it very easily seen, no matter if it's black on my black belt and it's supposed to "disapear" when it's against the black belt. Plus, it's very sharp, and bent to go under the belt from the outside. It's just a J shape. That makes it very hard to get on and off. I have to say though, that once it's on, it's on, and it's not coming up with the holster.

The nicest thing about it is the width of the holster. High Noon is really on to something with the thin glove leather. It's comfortable and it's not overly thick. THey just need a clip that fits better with another bend in it to form more a hook that can more easily be taken on and off.

Here in Ohio, we can't have our gun concealed while in a car, so I have to take this thing on and off every time I get in and out of a car. It's a real pain! If I didn't have to take it off other than at the end of the day, this holster would be a lot better. That clip is still to long though.

J - that's a bummer that you don't like the holster. Holster selection is a personal thing and it's hard to know what you like until you wear it for a while.

Yeah - the Mr. Softy really isn't a "tuckable" model where you can let the J clip show. I use it with an untucked shirt. The holster is somewhat hard to get off because it's a J clip - but that's a good thing in my mind. Some clip holsters will draw WITH the gun :o The Mr. Softy won't.

Please explain your comment about Ohio law. Do you have a CCW license? So even with the CCW, you have to de-gun when you're in a car? If so, that sucks!

You don't have to de-gun, but you do have to de-conceal. THe gun has got to be in plain site while in the car. IWB isn't in plain site, so you have to take it out of your pants and clip it on your front pocket. It also has to be on your person, so you can't set it on the seat next to you if you want to keep it loaded. The other methods of carrying are in a locked box or in a locked glove compartment, that is if you want to keep it loaded. THese are the ccw laws here as it sits. This crap is just about sorted out with a new ccw law that is making it's way through the legislator as we speak, I hope it goes through.

So, a holster that is incredibly hard to get off and back on isn't the best thing for me, but I can see how in other states the same attribute would be a big plus, just not my state.

I think the same holster with leather straps that snap would be a better option for me. I really like the holster itself, it's just the clip that bugs me. That same clip would render a High Noon tuckable holster useless if you ask me. It's just way to wide and obvious when it's on a belt. You can't fill up that clip with a belt narrow enough to go through jeans belt loops. Just my thoughts anyways.

All in all, the quality from high noon isn't an issue at all. So, don't take this as a slam to high noon. The holster itself is a fine piece of work and well worth the little money I paid for it. It just doesn't fit into what I wanted it to do in my unique situation.

Jeremiah would a pancake holster work for the car? Perhaps a cross draw? Goofy is as goofy does for CCW laws at least you have one. Most of CA takes an act of God to get a license.

My concern would be going back to concealment after getting out of the car. Someone watching you holster back up could claim they saw you branish your pistol in the parking lot creating a other issues to deall with. I'd hate to have to put on an IWB holster from a seated position in my car!

I carry a lot, on duty and off, in civilian clothes. I don't like inside-the-pants holsters at all. They are just plain uncomfortable for me. I carry my glocks off-duty in a Safariland 560. The paddle makes it easier to get on and off, but still tough enough it stays put for the draw. I use a similar holster for my duty Sig P228 (Desantis Pro-Fed Paddle). They obviously are not as tight against the body as an inside-the-pants, but they still hug pretty well. Never had a problem with either showing or printing. Even an inside-the-pants will print if you bend straight over at the waist. So, it's really more about placement and body movement than how tight is snugged against the body. Also, one more advantage is they are smoking fast to draw from, especially compaired to an inside-the-pants.

I carry a lot, on duty and off, in civilian clothes. I don't like inside-the-pants holsters at all. They are just plain uncomfortable for me. I carry my glocks off-duty in a Safariland 560. The paddle makes it easier to get on and off, but still tough enough it stays put for the draw. I use a similar holster for my duty Sig P228 (Desantis Pro-Fed Paddle). They obviously are not as tight against the body as an inside-the-pants, but they still hug pretty well. Never had a problem with either showing or printing. Even an inside-the-pants will print if you bend straight over at the waist. So, it's really more about placement and body movement than how tight is snugged against the body. Also, one more advantage is they are smoking fast to draw from, especially compaired to an inside-the-pants.

I wear a 1911 in a pancake a lot, it's not to bad. The thin 1911 is easily hid in one with a lose over shirt, and then it's easily made in "plain site" when I'm in the car. I may go with a owb holster for this glock eventually also.

Thanks for all the responses.

Jeremiah

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for Kydex ... I have about 10 leather holsters and half as many kydex. For competition, my Kydex Dan Hillsman Rangemaster takes all the pressure off my hip bone which unfortunately my leather holsters do not.

For daily carry, my BearClaw Holsters IWB is more comfortable than any of my leather IWB's. Why? Two reasons: (1) the way the Kydex holster attaches to the belt makes for a better distribution of the belt's inward pressure. (2) The thinner but firmer material of Kydex means less mass/area inside of my pants [!] so there is less pinching and more comfort.

For reference:

Dan Hillsman Holsters

http://www.HillsmanHolster.com

BearClaw Holsters

http://www.bearclawholsters.com

I use a Kramer Horsehide IWB holster for my Glock 22 or 27. Great Holster!!!!!!

I've been carrying it almost daily for 9 years and it's still good as new.

Bought one for my G19 in Oct. Had to do a little tweaking by soaking part of the holster with rubbing alcohol to make it curve the way I needed it. Once that was done, it's been the best holster I've ever owned. Totally unaffected by water. (You simply cannot get the holster to retain water.) Most comfortable IWB I've ever owned. I wear it 8-12 hours a day in total comfort. Still looks brand new. I can't imagine kydex being as comfy for IWB, but I haven't tried it either. I will never buy a cowhide holster again.

Kramer's service was second to none I might add. Got my holster in a couple days - compared to weeks of waiting for one of the kydex places.

Carry a full size Glock 22 every day, on and off duty, in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II IWB holster. I tried a bunch and I've never looked back since trying this holster. It is by far the most stable and comfortable IWB holster I have ever tried. It also conceals even a big frame gun very well. The Dept. next door issues G21's. Many of their detectives have switched to this holster after I talked one of their officers into trying one. No regrets. I recommend matching the VMII with one of their belts and single mag pouches for a super package. Nick-

+1 on the Milt Sparks VM2. I had a C-Tac for an XD, and it worked, but I never wanted to use it if I could use the VM2. I've had several VM2s for several different guns. Mostly I carry a full sized 1911 in a horsehide version (my favorite) and it's quite unnoticable. I use it with a Milt Sparks belt, which is quite nice as well.

I'm suprised how many here carry with IWB kydex. Next to good leather (e.g. VM2), kydex just doesn't do it for me. Unless maybe I was going to a tropical jungle or something.

Edited by Eager

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I carry with Sparks Watch Six Dual Talon. the clips are nice because you hook them on you pant and you belt goes over them. the hold very well and difficult to see if wearing a black gun belt. Not sure if this holster is still made though.

I have used a Comp-Tac as well. I really like it except for the front swivel attachement digs into my hip too much. Otherwise I would be using it instead.