Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clips

hdgun

How do you guys straighten your moon clips?

It would really kill me to spend $80+ on one of those do hickys that TK sells.

Pics if you have somthing home made PLEASE.

Thanks Guys, you are all a wealth of info.

I don't ... with the 625 moonclips the replacement cost is so low that it's not worth straightening them out.

(However, I do keep the unloaded clips threaded through a bolt, between two washers so that they don't get bent in storage)

Check out Walter Mitty's post further down on should I buy this 610? he quotes prices for .45 ACP moons at $25 per hundred from Ranch Products. I am caling them tomorrow to see if they still have them like that. If that's the right price, throw the bent ones in the trash. I will probably get at leat 100, maybe 200. That's a price that can't be beat.

Either way, I would not spend that much on the gizmo that TK sells. They have good stuff, but moons are just not worth it.

That's my opinion.

hdgun, In the old days before Kerry Standifer disigned the first straightner we used pliers and hands. we would check them on a mirror. But now I have one of those tools offered by TK custom. for the 45's it easier just to toss them, that and they are pretty thick and not easily straightened. :(

I wish I could buy .45 clips for $25 per 100.....

Since there is export licenses involved when shipping overseas from the US, Ranch Products is not willing to do the paperwork for a order of only 100 or 300 clips.

Any BE-forum member from US going to Europe soon? :)

:( I have the same problem. I use the .022 thick TK Custom moon clips for my 38/357. I don't see a way to flatten the clips in a mass operation. I compete with them 4 times a month sooooooooooo, I take needle noose pliers and carefully bend whatever portion needs to be fixed. It is becoming a way of life. Do it while your watching TV.

;)

I am talking mostly about 38/357 clips, But the 40/10mm clips need a little attention as well.

Th 45 clips do not seem to bend as easy as the others.

I too take the pliers to them. Very teadiouse ( spelling )

Just wondering if any of you had a real brain storm and come up with somthing that works.

I am talking mostly about 38/357 clips, But the 40/10mm clips need a little attention as well.

Just wondering if any of you had a real brain storm and come up with somthing that works.

I got an idea !! take a ride to PMD Machining and create your own :P

We have the technology ! (well Paul does anyway)

And when yer done ....... can I borrow it :rolleyes:

I wish I could buy .45 clips for $25 per 100.....

Since there is export licenses involved when shipping overseas from the US, Ranch Products is not willing to do the paperwork for a order of only 100 or 300 clips.

Any BE-forum member from US going to Europe soon? :)

I may have another trip to Sweden coming up this year. I'll keep you posted.

The tool from TK Custom works great. Yeah, it's $80 but cheaper in the long run then replacing the moons. Last season I had to straighten 17 clips. Get a friend and go halfs in on it and it won't be too bad.

How will I ever be able to afford to have Randy install a TI cylinder if you clowns keep straightening your clips? Dave B)

Make your moons out of memory metal and I'll give up my funny rubber nose and great big shoes...

http://mrsec.wisc.edu/Edetc/cineplex/movie...Ti/NiTiwire.mov

:P

How will I ever be able to afford to have Randy install a TI cylinder if you clowns keep straightening your clips? Dave B)

Make your moons out of memory metal and I'll give up my funny rubber nose and great big shoes...

Interesting suggestion!! I need to do some research. Dave B)

Interesting suggestion!! I need to do some research. Dave B)

Dave, I straighten your moons all the time, I do 4 at a time out in my driveway, takes about 2 hours, they're nice and flat when i move the truck...:-)

mike sousa

• 4 weeks later...
:( I have the same problem. I use the .022 thick TK Custom moon clips for my 38/357. I don't see a way to flatten the clips in a mass operation. I compete with them 4 times a month sooooooooooo, I take needle noose pliers and carefully bend whatever portion needs to be fixed. It is becoming a way of life. Do it while your watching TV.

;)

How about 2 fender washers a bolt and a nut clamp them all together and let them set.

post-2631-1143552743.jpg

The moon clip tool sold by TK actually stresses the clips "Both" ways then resets them flat. Watched one being used at the Arkansas ICORE MW Regional. It did look pretty slick.

Might even be worth the peace of mind for those who worry about everything, or who seem to have the kind of luck "Murrphy" dishes out.

Definitely looked like the thing to have for an 8 shot moon clip.

Another way is to put the moonclip between two fender washer, set them on an anvil or another piece of stout steel and hit them with a dead hammer or sledge hammer. This should true the moonclip. Be careful that you are hitting it squarely or you can end up bending the moonclip more.

Jerry

I got an idea !! take a ride to PMD Machining and create your own :P

We have the technology ! (well Paul does anyway)

And when yer done ....... can I borrow it :rolleyes:

If you value your time - I think the TK route would be much cheaper..

Johnny buy one so I can use it too :D

How do you guys straighten your moon clips?

It would really kill me to spend $80+ on one of those do hickys that TK sells.

Pics if you have somthing home made PLEASE.

Thanks Guys, you are all a wealth of info.