Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Shotguns? Benelli? Jp? Remington?

PistolPete

I'm new to the whole 3 gun game and have never even shot a 3 gun match. I have on order a JP Rifle and am thinking about what to get for a shotgun. I will be shooting in the tactical division and need some advice. I know people have product loyalty and can be biased but I want to see what everyone here recommends.

I was originally thinking of buying a Benelli prob. because of their marketing. They do a great job and from what I've read on them from people who own them they say they are truely awesome.. I've also heard that the recoil can be more harsh than a recoil operated shotgun???

I then was thinking and now HEAVILY leaning towards a JP tuned Remington 11-87. I like this idea because then the same person built both my long guns and I only have to deal with 1 company if I ever have any issues or need any advice. I also like this idea because JP is easy to contact and in the rifle building experience have been more than helpful.

I know the price between the JP and the Benelli are similiar so that isn't really the issue. I would consider a cheaper shotgun as well so long as I won't need to buy one and then have to modify it etc.

Thanks,

Pete

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious too. they had a guy who was shooting it in OLN and seemed to be soft recoiling shotgun. ( well that's waht the guy said) .

Burkett forwarded me an video ad/demo of the shotgun, showing a guy shooting multiple (like 5-7) clays he'd thrown with the gun held over his head, etc. Somehow, I don't think the gun can kick all that much if he's going to control it in that position. He had an extended tube on it, too.... Don't know if that's the same footage, or not...

First let me state that I HATE Benelli :angry: They have absolutely NO customer service or support. Parts were very hard to come by untill Brownells stepped up and bought a boat load of parts. Both Benelli USA and Italy are arogant PR$%ks and you will NEVER SEE THEM support our sport. I tried to help Benelli Italy upgrade thier shell cut off pin, but was informed that the only reason I had seen them break was because " You Americans just shoot them too much!!" With that in mind I would go Benelli. The reason you don't need parts is because they don't break! There is NOTHING, YES I MEAN NOTHING that loads as easy as a Benelli, and if you bother to have the shotgun fit to you ( this is a BIG hint to American shooters: I have kept this tidbit in reserve untill now as I don't think anyone will actually read this far. ) it doesn't seem to kick very much at all, and the muzzel rise is a lot less than the other shotguns mentioned including the SX2. Untill someone makes a good "practical/combat shotgun" this is the one to get. Product loyalty?? They can kiss My American... well you know! KURT

I had an M1 Super 90 Tactical, and several Rem 1100's before the Winchester.

The Winchester Practical is extremely reliable, fast and very soft shooting. It would be perfect if it had the autoloading feature of the Browning Gold.

I love my Remington 11-87 and it has stood me well for many years, but! It is a maintenance hawg and I know of more that have broken at matches than I know of Benelli's that have.

I will be getting an M1 Super 90 as soon as I can manage to just to have around as a Tactical division shotgun, but I am stickin' with the Remmy for Open division for now.

If you go Benelli, talk to Benny Hill, or Beven Grams. If you go Remmy, go with a JP built one.

Benelli, or Remington, your choice, that's my advice ;-)

If you want to be a little different.. Browning Gold with that speed feed feature... If shooting open, one of the other guns is better since there are more attachments available, shooting limited or tactical, you'll never have to feed a round in the side and activate the gate to load it :)

Vince

I know the price between the JP and the Benelli are similiar so that isn't really the issue. I would consider a cheaper shotgun as well so long as I won't need to buy one and then have to modify it etc.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete, I have an old 1100, and an old Winchester Super X Model 1. I use the Winchester over the Remington. However, if I were in your position (needing a shotgun) I echo Kurt, get the Benelli over the Remington. Remington internals have always been stamped parts, very cost effective, but they can break. They don't very often, but, they will always bite you in a match. The other options, Browning or Winchester, current models are good too. By the way, I've seen videos of Kurt with his Benelli....with speedloaders, I couldn't load a Remington as fast as he loads that darn Benelli!!!!

Thanks,

Pete

Pete, I have an old 1100, and an old Winchester Super X Model 1. I use the Winchester over the Remington. However, if I were in your position (needing a shotgun) I echo Kurt, get the Benelli over the Remington. Remington internals have always been stamped parts, very cost effective, but they can break. They don't very often, but, they will always bite you in a match. The other options, Browning or Winchester, current models are good too. By the way, I've seen videos of Kurt with his Benelli....with speedloaders, I couldn't load a Remington as fast as he loads that darn Benelli!!!!

Thanks,

Pete

I know the price between the JP and the Benelli are similiar so that isn't really the issue. I would consider a cheaper shotgun as well so long as I won't need to buy one and then have to modify it e

I HAVE BOTH THE BENELLI M2 and a BROWNING GOLD and have no favorite ,altho the benelli is faster handling ,both are not perfect.

I have the JP. It F'ed me right out of the gate. Double feeds and had to have the interceptor latch replaced. Got that fixed and it started doing other goofy Sh7t. It manages to screw me at least once a match. I think I finally have the problem solved.....just waiting on the dealer to call and tell me my m2 is in that should fix the problem.

I had a Benelli M2 for hunting. I shot it at the range a few times and all was good. I took it Teal hunting and it wouldn't cycle. I tried in a few more hunting scenarios with the same result. I called Benelli sisnce this was my second one that did it, and he told me that maybe I did not know how to shoot a shotgun. I could have told him that, but the fact that I was on the Air Force Shooting team for Internatiol Skeet and have been successfully hunting since I was 5 years old, made me think I was getting the same crud excuse as KurtM did. I have an 11-87 that needs a little timing, but I'd shoot a Remington single shot over a Benelli after that deal! Alot of people love them, just not me!

Just venting... Sorry!!

Mike

Edited by mike_pinto

"and if you bother to have the shotgun fit to you ( this is a BIG hint to American shooters: I have kept this tidbit in reserve untill now as I don't think anyone will actually read this far. )"

Hey Kurt, I read that far--- what's the secret to shotgun fit??

Edited by Scott G

What the hell breaks so much on Remmy's?

Let me better define that question....

What are the top 3 things that break on the Remington 1100/11-87?

If it the o-ring, what not just put a new one in every match.

If it's the interceptor latch (or associated hardware) what do we need to do to beef it up?