Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Happened?

Bigbadaboom

At this past Saturdays match I shot a 36 round 180 point field course stage and won it H.O.A.. I didn't only win it H.O.A. in my division (Limited) I won it H.O.A. for all divisions. I beat 3 master class open shooters and 1 Master class limited shooter. I shot a H.F. of 7.0219 and the closest H.F. to mine was a master class open @ 6.8005.

I'm a B class Limited shooter and I regularly shoot A class percentages. I have several classifiers that when averaged would figure out to well over 75% but due to the Classifier system I can't seem to get them in close enough proximity to one another.

Here's my dilemma; I can't remember how I shot this stage and what I did or where I did it. I remember my prep and I can tell you exactly how many targets and steel were involved and where everything was located (which I can't do for any other stage in this match except the 10 round Classifier). My Wife watched me prep and then shoot it and she stated that I shot it just like I prepped it so I gain a little insight from that but it would help a great deal if I could remember shooting it.

It is my discernment that if I can do this on one stage then I can do it on all stages. What I lack is the consistancy to do this same thing over and over. I didn't prep this stage any different than I did any other stage in the match. I shot every other stage just like I prepped them (except for stage 5 due to circumstances changing mid-shoot and blowing my plan apart). So the difference lies in the "shooting" of the stage which is the only part of the process that I can't remember.

I guess I should video tape all my matches.

Here's my dilemma; I can't remember how I shot this stage and what I did or where I did it.

This means you had an unremarkable performance - that is to say, you did everything *exactly* as you'd planned and visualized it (so nothing sticks out in your head). That can feel disconcerting, but... if you could feel that way about every stage.... :lol:

It is my discernment that if I can do this on one stage then I can do it on all stages. What I lack is the consistancy to do this same thing over and over.

I'm finding that I need to be disciplined enough to prep every single stage until I can see them similar to what Jake describes. It's not enough to know where the targets are, and which order I'm going to shoot them in. I get a feeling when I'm ready - it's trite, but I can tell when I'm "in the zone". Everyone has different keys that allow them to be there - for me, it seems to start with a very deliberate blocking out of the stage, followed by several focused times through the course, followed by very specific, focused visualization of the stage. Sometimes, I find I'm slacking off of this, and those are usually the stages I don't perform as well on.

Further - I find that I tend to be more disciplined about this when the course is complicated. I'm working on getting this going for short speed shoots, and simpler field courses, etc.... Cause when I do these things fully, I perform extremely well... ;)

Edited by XRe

On a good stage for me, I hardly remember anything between LAMR and unload and show clear.

On the other hand however, if I muff it, I remember each and every little mess-up like it was recorded in Technocolor.

It's alot more fun the first way :) , I work toward having a lot more of those.

FWIW

dj

You are a better shooter than I so take this comment with that in mind. In Brian's book, I believe that he quotes Bruce Lee as saying something to the effect of "conscious thought is detremental to physical action". That is probably a hack job on the quote, but something to that effect.

Instead of thinking about doing, you did. I only hope to be there one day.

Rick

Wide .45 has it right. You don't enter the zone, you find yourself there when you plan properly and shoot subconsciously.

You don't remember it because you (meaning your conscious mind) didn't do it.

Your subconscious skills did the work and you were just along for the ride.

SA

Nice job!!!

The reason you can't remember is you were not thinking about it in the first place or as most call it you were "In the Zone". You can't make this happen by choice no matter what you do. It comes from preperation and the body takes it from there.

While I have not won a stage yet (C open shooter) I have been inside the top 5 a few times now out of 60 to 70 shooters to be only edgeed out by a couple GM's. These were stages I didn't think I did all that great on. But there is the key "I didn't think" about it and it just happened.

Sounds like you are nearing the point were this will happen more and more just hang on and enjoy the ride.

I think the point of remembering the event is not all that important.

But I do believe at a point you will remember (maybe not as you want to though)

For me to remember these times I see it in a relaxed state later as pictures in my head.

Then you can analyze the movie you just watched & pick out things you did when it

really happened, like where the old mag was in relation to the gun when the new one went in. When you dissect this way you start to find out how much time you really have to

do the things we do (LOTS).

nice achievement.

Use the win as a confidence building tool that will allow you to Believe you can do it again. Keep building upon those successes. You've come along way Daniel, just relax and let it happen. If you do you very well could reach more than you initially thought.

We all get lucky now and then. :P

It helps being in the zone, when i am, my focus is 100%, i remember all of my shots on a stage and seeing my sights lift.

For me it is focus on the task at had and how i will shoot the stage and staying with my plan. t The problem is consistently doing that from stage to stage.

Good going. Confidence boosters help along with a slap back into reality now and then.