Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I've just had a sort out of all the junk I've collected over the years stored in my loft. At the bottom of a box I've not opened for years I found six issues of the GunGames mag. just spent a hour or so reading through them, very enjoyable. I can't understand why this mag failed? Good quality paper, lots of colour, interesting articles about the sporting side of shooting which most of us are interested in etc,etc.

Anyone know why it failed?

I'd subscribe again if someone could run it again. As much as I enjoy most of the shooting press, both here in the UK and in the U.S.A, Gungames had it spot on imo.

Any budding editors out there ??

This was a great mag which had it roots in the Running Gun Club in Norco, CA. I met the editor/owner at the first gun show I went to in CA when I moved there, he was showing a video of IPSC shooting, I was hooked that day forward, Wally Arreda... Avida..can't remember his last name but a heck of a nice guy. I understand it went under due to lack of advertisers willing to pay enough to support the quality of the mag, might be different nowdays. This was about 1994-1995. The Running Gun Club, shot every weekend, and always had a large turn out of shooters, some of the best in CA, From Jo Jo Vidanes, to Bevin Gramms, to Ralph Arredondo, it was and still is just the best group of people.

It wasnt advertiserts. Top management sucked it dry. It actually went under twice. After the initial investors funds ran out it folded both times. It was literally sucked dry of capital. At least that was what i was told by some that were affiliated with the magazine. There was one person who made a boatload from the venture and it wasnt the investors.

It wasnt advertiserts. Top management sucked it dry. It actually went under twice. After the initial investors funds ran out it folded both times. It was literally sucked dry of capital. At least that was what i was told by some that were affiliated with the magazine. There was one person who made a boatload from the venture and it wasnt the investors.

Well, it's sad that greed was the reason behind it's demise. Over ten years have past and the diversity of Practical shooting now is calling out for a Gungames II. I hope someone has the vision to start it again, but under stricter financial rules eh !

Remember way back long before GunGames there was PSI--Practical Shooting International?? I've still got a bunch of old issues around. In fact I used to write a column for PSI called "Let's Talk Revolvers" during my tenure as a part-time gunwriter....

I loved GunGames, but I hate thieves...it was a toughie.

Ironically, a lot of what i learned running GG got cycled into SHOOTING GALLERY. I actually made a run on the major publishers about doing a SHOOTING GALLERY magazine as a companion piece to the television show, starting as an annual, then moving to a quarterly, that would focus on competition. Despite the numbers I have on SHOOTING GALLERY — which are substantial — I got a solid "No Takers!"

I had/have big plans for creating an internet magazine around SHOOTING GALLERY using current blog/pod- and video-cast technologies and the pieces of SPORTSHOOTER.com, but the actual creation of the television show (along with producing COWBOYS, AMERICAN RIFLEMAN, hosting specials, etc.) has left me with ZERO MINUS extra time and a permanent head cold. Plus all web designers are FROM HELL AND SHOULD DIE SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATHS INVOLVING MOLDEN LEAD ENEMAS AND FIRE ANTS! Shooter Grrl, whom I've never worked with, excepted, of course...

Michael B

I think the "internet magazine" would be a great idea along with having the Shooting Gallery segments available on there also.

If you weren't busy ;) , you could eventually incorporate all the shooting sports into a single "magazine" which would help the shooting sports in general...which it needs IMO.

It would be like putting all the 'hard guys' and 'jocks' in the same cafeteria. :D

Plus all web designers are FROM HELL AND SHOULD DIE SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATHS INVOLVING MOLDEN LEAD ENEMAS AND FIRE ANTS! Shooter Grrl, whom I've never worked with, excepted, of course...

Michael B

Nice Save Mr. Bane, and may I point out that I am still available for work for you and I promise that when I'm through with you, you'll, at a minimum, want to skip the molden lead enema part of the long painful death for me B)

I loved GunGames, but I hate thieves...it was a toughie.

Ironically, a lot of what i learned running GG got cycled into SHOOTING GALLERY. I actually made a run on the major publishers about doing a SHOOTING GALLERY magazine as a companion piece to the television show, starting as an annual, then moving to a quarterly, that would focus on competition. Despite the numbers I have on SHOOTING GALLERY — which are substantial — I got a solid "No Takers!"

I had/have big plans for creating an internet magazine around SHOOTING GALLERY using current blog/pod- and video-cast technologies and the pieces of SPORTSHOOTER.com, but the actual creation of the television show (along with producing COWBOYS, AMERICAN RIFLEMAN, hosting specials, etc.) has left me with ZERO MINUS extra time and a permanent head cold. Plus all web designers are FROM HELL AND SHOULD DIE SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATHS INVOLVING MOLDEN LEAD ENEMAS AND FIRE ANTS! Shooter Grrl, whom I've never worked with, excepted, of course...

Michael B

Michael,

I subscribe to a UK motorcycle magazine which has an internet version. It is downloaded once a month and is an excellent way of reading and storing the mags. All the adverts have direct web page links in them, so it's possible to go straight to the web page of anything that you want more info on or to buy. It's run by a Company called Zino. www.zino.com

Maybe a thought on your new venture (if you are not already aware of it!)

Good luck, keep me posted and put me down as one of the first subscribers when you launch it.

Ian C.

The great thing about GG was it was a people magazine...

The other great thing was that it rose above the tiresome "IPSC will get you killed" and like crap, the gun control debate, and Rambo wannabe nonsense - and simply advocated ALL shooting sports as legitimate recreational pastimes. BE, silhouette, SASS, you name it - it was all there.

No value judgments, no denigrating one discipline over another - just a top-flight production that examined the shooting sports in depth and in a uniformly positive light. Great stuff to hand to friends, family, and acquaintances who almost invariably found something to their taste.

I sure miss it... :(

The great thing about GG was it was a people magazine...

The other great thing was that it rose above the tiresome "IPSC will get you killed" and like crap, the gun control debate, and Rambo wannabe nonsense - and simply advocated ALL shooting sports as legitimate recreational pastimes. BE, silhouette, SASS, you name it - it was all there.

No value judgments, no denigrating one discipline over another - just a top-flight production that examined the shooting sports in depth and in a uniformly positive light. Great stuff to hand to friends, family, and acquaintances who almost invariably found something to their taste.

I sure miss it... :(

I forgot about all of that. It was a good example for the non shooters.

FM