Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crisp Glock Trigger?

Jeremiah

I just made a post on the RS 2# trigger kit thread, but maybe it's off topic there, so I'm making a new thread.

I have a 19 that has the worst trigger in it that I have ever felt. It's not only heavy, which is what I expected, but it feels about as smooth as a washboard. This baby is rough. This is also my first glock.

My question is, I'd like to get this trigger down to about 3-3.5 pounds with a nice crisp break. I'd love to get the RS kit, but I don't want it to be 2# because this will be somewhat of a carry gun.

From reading some old posts, the 3.5# connector and a Wolf Reduced Power Firing Pin spring may be a good starting point.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Thanks.

X2

Some are more "crisp" than others. But that is a bad description.

I've never done a trigger job on a G19/G23 but the trigger bars are different than a G17/G22 etc.

However, there are so many combos that you could try for little or no $ that it is worth the effort.

Contact Ralph. Maybe he could do your parts if you ship them to him. I can't speak for him but it's worth a try.

For carry, you could swap the 5lb connector and a stock striker spring. For fun, a 3.5 lb connector and a wolf spring or the stock spring.

The 5 lb connector does not yeild a 5 lb trigger, nor does the 3.5 lb connector yield a 3.5 lb trigger ........ in reality it is about 1 lb heavier than specified.

i'll bet a 3.5 lbs connector and 500-1000 rounds will break that Glock in real nice ;)

I have a 19 that has the worst trigger in it that I have ever felt. It's not only heavy, which is what I expected, but it feels about as smooth as a washboard. This baby is rough.

Try polishing it (a la the $.25 trigger job) but REALLY polish it --maybe with a cloth wheel on a dremel and flitz. If that still doesn't do it, try some SlideGlide lite in the works. Just make sure that you keep it out of the firing pin area. YMMV

Is there a site that details all the faces that need to be polished?

Also, I'm thinking that a glock connector is a glock connector and works on all the models. The connectors aren't different between a 17/22 and a 19/23, right?

Glock24Shooter, I'm working on that 500-1000 rounds! This thing sure does point higher than a 1911 out of the holster! My index is as bad as my trigger press right now!

IMHO, it can't be done...I have tried about two dozen different guns and NONE of them had a trigger like a good 1911...I know, I know..it isn't a 1911 and stop trying to make it into one or compare it to one...

Well, for those of us who learned on a good 1911 trigger, you just can't get there from here... :(

I would say get a 3.5 connector,a good polish job and shoot the heck out of it and don't get a reduced striker spring. Especially if you are going to use it for concealed purposes. chances are you will have it loaded with one in the chamber and that could further weaken the spring. The reduced striker springs can have a tendency to cause light primer strikes, even without keeping the spring compressed. Like they say "murphy is alive and well, and what could go wrong will go wrong" so its better to be safe than sorry especially when your life could depend on it.

PK

Ok, so a glass rod breaking type of trigger pull isn't going to happen like a really good 1911. So, can we at least get the trigger weight down a couple of pounds and smooth everything out? What parts do I need to massage?

Here's the link to the $.25 trigger job (http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/) but I'll tell you right now that a q-tip and some polish isn't going to do much for you.

For what it's worth, I did this with a 3.5# connector and was pretty happy with it. I just installed a Sotelo kit, and at first I wasn't able to tell much of a difference, but as I'm getting used to it, I'm find the Sotelo kit to be a huge improvement. Of course, $15 dollars (polish + connector) vs. $65 may be the deciding point for you.

At the end of my search I was willing to spend a couple of hundred to try and get a really good trigger...but was disappointed each time... :(

That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that the stock trigger is a disaster. I'd say to get the Sotelo (the price is right!) and be happy with what you end up with. I will say that when I originally ordered it I figured that I wouldn't trust a 2# trigger to self-defense, but now that I'm handling it, I'm okay with keeping it next to the bed once again.

Jeremiah

Yes, the connectors are the same for every model. Not true of some of the other parts but true for the connector. That's not saying that any 2 connectors of the same pull weight will feel the same or break the same - there's a wide tolerance for how Glock parts match up.

The standard answer for "crisp" Glock triggers is to use a 5lb or even 8lb connector. For "light" Glock triggers use a 3.5lb connector. So for this gun design, crisp & light usually don't go together.

If you don't like the Glock point and are NOT shooting in Production, you can lower the pointing of the muzzle a little by removing material from the bottom of the triggerguard, especially where it makes an angle right at your knuckle.

Here's an example, Charlie Vanek's G24:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...pe=post&id=3520

You can file of MUCH less than that & still change the point.

So Erik, what you're telling me is that since I now have the 5# connector that I already have the "crisp" version of the glock?

Geesh, maybe the "light" version will be a little better.....

I do know that I'll have to break out the pollishing wheel on this baby in the very near future. It's rougher than a cob.

If crisp is what you strive for then the 5 lb is as close as you will get. I second the 25 cent trigger job with the wheel, just go easy on the disconnector. There are a few places that you don't want to over polish....disconnector...striker. A reduced power striker spring will cut almost a pound off...polishing maybe another 1/2 pound. I fixed a friends washboard trigger with some 1200 and 2400 grit sandpaper at the range....the nose of his trigger bar where it meets the disconnetor was very rough like they cut it on a band saw. After my .02 trigger job it was 100% better...he was amazed. I have another friend who shoots only Glocks and he says the best was to get the trigger down is with 20k rounds down range :blink: . And you will get some practice somewhere between round 1 and 20,000! I have spent alot of money on trying everything. Vanek's trigger is the best....but guys still beat me with a stock trigger! Svigney uses a nearly stock gun. If you don't have alot of money then just shoot it....you will get better. And if you carry the same gun you will be very fast and confident if the need comes around.

1. Get a 3.5lb connector.

2. Get an extra power trigger return spring from Glockmeister (not from Wolff).

3. Use a set of stones to clean up the metal surfaces, then use a dremel an polishing compound to further smooth them up...ala, the $0.25 trigger job

4. Remove a few coils from the safety plunger spring.

That should be a vast improvement, and you will likely still like it for carry (your choice).

I scanned through the replies and didn't find a link for the 25 cent trigger job. Here it is: http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

As a carry gun, you have different criteria than a competition gun. I would not put a reduced striker spring in a carry gun. I think Flex hit it on the head. Polishing will remove the grit from the trigger system and with the 3.5 connector you will end up with a 4.5 pound pull which is plenty light for a carry gun. Then work with the system that you have. Shoot it and you will become aquainted with it.

Dry fire it a ton and enjoy it. Right before playing with Glocks I was shooting an Anschutz rifle in 22 rimfire competition - rimfire silhouette. Yes, the trigger is a major change but many have taken these weapons and made Grandmaster with the platform, so get over the desire to have a glass rod break and work with what you have and enjoy it. Life is good.

Clay1

Easy brother, when you talk about getting over wanting a glass rod break for the trigger...

Sure there are a FEW, and emphasize the word FEW people who have made GM with a glock, but if the trigger was even half way good, there would be a bunch of Glock shooting GMs and there aren't ...and secondly, if everyone found the trigger so adaptable, why are there SO MANY threads and comments on making the trigger better....Vanek and a few others have put lots of $$ in their pocket slicking up that piece of crap trigger that usually comes with a factory Glock...

Work with what you have might work in a country where there are only Glocks, but here in the happy USA, you can have a choice....and differing discussion about the pros and cons of Glock triggers...

Have a good day... ;)

Will the reduced striker spring from Wolff really cause light strikes with my WSP primed reloads? Stock striker (so far).

I know I read that the reduced striker spring could cause light strikes with lightened strikers, just didn't think I had heard the reduced power spring alone would/could cause a problem.

Although I'm setting my G35 up as a racer Limited gun, I was thinking it might get extra use as a "house" gun. Now I'm rethinking what I may do with springs on the gun.

I did do an advanced .25 trigger job, and could likely live with the current trigger if I had to.

Tightloop, the man that asked the question already has a Glock and that is what this thread is about. If you want a different gun or a different trigger this is America, I agree, go buy something different if you don't like what Glock has to offer.

Rich at Canyon Creek can get you a nice Glass Rod break on an XD if you want. You just have to shoot those in ESP instead of Production but many people shoot Glocks in other divisions too.

JFD, your gun if I remember your other threads, is for competition. I use a Wolf reduced striker spring in both of my G34s and wouldn't consider running the gun without it to poke holes in paper. I have never had light primer strikes on anything that I have shot. My recomendation on the stock stiker spring applies to a carry gun only not a competition piece.

The point of my previous thread is that people can and do shoot well with Glock triggers. Yes, they can use some work after the lawyers of the world have worked their magic, but most triggers could use some work straight out of the box these days.

Jeremiah, have fun with your new gun and enjoy shooting it.

Will the reduced striker spring from Wolff really cause light strikes with my WSP primed reloads? Stock striker (so far).

I know I read that the reduced striker spring could cause light strikes with lightened strikers, just didn't think I had heard the reduced power spring alone would/could cause a problem.

Although I'm setting my G35 up as a racer Limited gun, I was thinking it might get extra use as a "house" gun. Now I'm rethinking what I may do with springs on the gun.

I did do an advanced .25 trigger job, and could likely live with the current trigger if I had to.

Who knows? Try it and see. Personally, I will never go back to a lightened striker spring again, in my Glocks. I may try a test, and see what clipping a few coils will do, but no time soon.

For sure they substantially reduce the trigger pull. For sure. But reloaded ammunition already introduces one variable, vis-a-vis primer depth, and introduce another at your own risk.

I do think the Glock trigger is intrinsically harder to shoot well with, and is generally a spongy horror, compared to even my stock Kimber 1911. That said, in my novice opinion only, it's not a limitation that can't be overcome, and there are some nice benefits on the other side: cost, reliability, um....cost, reliablity. :)

Maybe in 5 years there will be a lot more M's and GM's shooting Glocks in Limited. Dunno.

I just made a post on the RS 2# trigger kit thread, but maybe it's off topic there, so I'm making a new thread.

I have a 19 that has the worst trigger in it that I have ever felt. It's not only heavy, which is what I expected, but it feels about as smooth as a washboard. This baby is rough. This is also my first glock.

My question is, I'd like to get this trigger down to about 3-3.5 pounds with a nice crisp break. I'd love to get the RS kit, but I don't want it to be 2# because this will be somewhat of a carry gun.

In my G35, that kit dropped the pull weight to about 3# (measured center of trigger). I did something else to get a shorter take-up and sharper break, but I know I am going to get yelled at if I tell you how:

I installed the 2# trigger kit and also:

1) Mirror finish the face of the striker foot that engages the trigger bar "hook"

2) Mirror finish the face of the trigger bar hook that engages the striker foot, very slightly radius the top edge so it is not dead sharp.

3) OPTIONAL: I increased (slightly) the strength of the trigger spring (the little one at the end of the trigger bar) and that changed the action slightly. I cut exactly one turn off it and reformed the end loop. When I fire and the slide cycles with the trigger to the rear, as I release the trigger it resets rather crisply but does not go as far forward. The next pull does not have the long mushy take up it does when pulling from all the way forward.

If I cycle the slide with my finger off the trigger, the trigger snaps all the way forward to the normal position. Flame suit on.....

For the record, I never bought a Glock because I absolutely HATED the trigger feel, but I am liking this one and I am shooting it very well with little practice.

Who knows? Try it and see. Personally, I will never go back to a lightened striker spring again, in my Glocks. I may try a test, and see what clipping a few coils will do, but no time soon.

There's a much easier way. use a cleaning rod and give the striker spring a tiny stretch. Put the spring on the rod and mark the free length with a Sharpie. Grab the ends and stretch and recheck. Apply enough stretch to increase the free length about 1/4". The light strikes should disappear. Edited by bountyhunter

I have two G-34's, one with a CV and the other with a RS trigger (My game guns) and a G-19 (My carry gun) that is box stock. All have several thousand rounds through them, I shoot the 19 as well as the 34's, go figure? I do not know the ramifications of carrying a gun with a modified trigger if used in self defense, any attorneys here?